Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season Review

Season Review

First up congratulations on what was a great season. At the start of the season I'd have taken a League or Champions League title over a domestic cup double. And at the end of the season, that order of merit remains.

But.. in summary an unprecedented season in many ways, number of wins, goals scored, took the quadruple to the last round of games.
    A bittersweet last round of games. With hindsight cursing dropped points in the league and failing to beat real again.

Goal of the season:
    Fabinho v Villareal away assisted by Salah
    A massive relief after a disorganised first half to make it 2-1 on the night.

Moment of the season:
    The Greek... securing the FA Cup. These cup runs featuring the lesser spotted players. It was fitting to see Tsimi score the winning penalty.

Areas of improvement for next season
    Transfers, more
    More tactical variation
    Better marriage of squad and system
    Reducing points lost from winning positions -
    a bigger gap between us and city, if I guess correctly, than var as proposed by 19 !

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    First up congratulations on what was a great season. At the start of the season I'd have taken a League or Champions League title over a domestic cup double. And at the end of the season, that order of merit remains.

But.. in summary an unprecedented season in many ways, number of wins, goals scored, took the quadruple to the last round of games.
    A bittersweet last round of games. With hindsight cursing dropped points in the league and failing to beat real again.

Goal of the season:
    Fabinho v Villareal away assisted by Salah
    A massive relief after a disorganised first half to make it 2-1 on the night.

Moment of the season:
    The Greek... securing the FA Cup. These cup runs featuring the lesser spotted players. It was fitting to see Tsimi score the winning penalty.

Areas of improvement for next season
    Transfers, more
    More tactical variation
    Better marriage of squad and system
    Reducing points lost from winning positions -
    a bigger gap between us and city, if I guess correctly, than var as proposed by 19 !

In terms of areas of improvement - I'd like to see us go for an out and out striker who can score goals!

There was one goal last season that was the culmination of about 30 passes. But I cant remember who it was against or who scored it. Anyone on here remind me? It was kop end. Was it Luis Diaz first goal? that dink. Mane's goal against city at wembley was something else.
    Moments of the season..so many. Personally loved Fab's panenka. And also the free from desire celebration in the dressing room with pep and Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    There was one goal last season that was the culmination of about 30 passes. But I cant remember who it was against or who scored it. Anyone on here remind me? It was kop end. Was it Luis Diaz first goal? that dink.
    The 3rd goal in the 3-1 against Norwich?

Yes I think so. I just had a look on youtube. They only showed Jordan's pass and the Diaz finish. But I think that was it.
    That game also included Sadio's brilliant acrobatic goal.

In the end it was a good season not a great season.

We got to 3 cup finals and couldn’t score in any of them and we know pens are a complete lottery so we could have been ending the season with nothing but a 2nd place finish.

All that matters is who’s name is on the trophy right.

Just a massive shame our forwards dropped off towards the end of the season.

Some tweaks are needed for next season and I think we’ll be there fighting City to end again.

It’s just difficult to complete with a bottomless pit of money.

As well as Mané did we need a proper CF finisher our finishing across the front 3 has been awful at times. Even City have done it because they also miss too many chances. Remember they only won one trophy this season, good as they are.

The biggest problem though appears to be in finding a RWF, all of the decent ones being linked to us are LWF.

Not too bothered about Sadio and Mo to be fair, we’ve had more than our money’s worth out of both and we were going to have to freshen it up sooner or later. Diaz is an excellent start and sets a high bar, just hope he’s working on his finishing in pre season.

Looks like Sadio is off so a CF probably first in (Nunez??) Mo’s here another year at least so maybe that’s for next summer.

Oh and Keita to PSG and bring in Bellingham please.

Mo's goal against united was pretty special. 27 passes, the reverse chipped pass from Mane, the cool finish from Salah, against our biggest rivals. It doesn't get much better than that.

Last edited by southernboy; 3rd June 2022 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Video added
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-DPG View Post
    In the end it was a good season not a great season.
    You need to lower your expectations mate, 2 trophies, pushed City all the way to the last day ,undefeated in the league all year and a Champions league final plus the addition of Jota, Diaz and Konate to the squad.
    Or maybe I'm easy pleased.
    Only 10 years ago we'd Roy Hodgson telling us how great Man Utd were.

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    Mo's goal against united was pretty special. 27 passes, the reverse chipped pass from Mane, the cool finish from Salah, against our biggest rivals. It doesn't get much better than that.

Noice. Seen Salahs goal v city given the nod elsewhere. Certainly fancier goals than Fabs, which I picked for its importance on the night