Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Match threads for next season.

Match threads for next season.

Morning folks. Friday is usually a feel-good day for the week so wanted to have what I hope will be a quick one on silly mental health stuff. I'm sure some of it will sound "stupid" and I'll probably feel cringey when I read it back, but it is what it is.

As I've touched on before I have OCD. I work on it a lot as a sense of control and comfort is heavily associated with compulsions - the order I pat my pockets before work for example (each pocket has an assigned item so I can account for everything without unzipping pockets) or picking a particular fuel pump at the petrol station aren't just preferences, they're things I need to do and if I can't do them, I feel incredibly itchy/hot/panicky for the remainder of the day. Once I'm into a pattern, being able to do it "helps" a lot but if I am not careful I could be on the slippery slope to being a "control freak".

Over much of the Klopp tenure I have been doing "your team against" threads with RedNoodle (followed by miller) largely doing the "match" threads. At first it was a good-luck thing, then it became a compulsion. Disruptions to what I perceived to be the-way-things-are in the middle of a season had the capacity to really muck me about - which I know is a me problem, not a someone else problem, before anyone reminds me.

However, with a new season approaching and a reprieve from the habit of that particular tick, there's a lovely window of time where new "rules" or, perhaps more accurately, a new perceived state of "how things are" can unfold without causing me anything like the same discomfort level.

With that in mind (the crux I suppose) if anyone on the forum especially wants to be the "your team against" user on the forum, I'm cool with it (not that anyone needs my approval) as it did ruffle feathers at times last season (timing in particular) and I really can't be annoyed with fights over something I know is so insignificant to most folks. So if you feel you were born to do said threads, go for it. I would ask (again, I can't enforce this) that if you do it once that you aim to do it regularly, as seeing it done by a different user every week would be more disorienting than you might think.

Equally, if there are folks on here who quite like routine/tradition and want things to stay the same I am quite happy to continue the duty. Completely fine with either "system" as long as there IS one, of a sort. Whether it's a poll or a chat or whatever, I hope we can find a system that suits the forum, with or without me.

That post was way longer than I wanted, sorry. I'm very inclined to over-articulation and that is unlikely to change.

TFI Friday, weekend is almost upon us!
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

One thing OCD doesn’t allow for is flexibility and it is that part of it that as you say, “ruffled a few feathers”. One or two after a defeat or even a draw these days such are our high standards, didn’t want to move on to the next game so quickly before their grieving process over dropped points had run it’s course.
    Don’t think you should worry about it Sid, people can get fractious after a bad result, just keep doing your thing. It’s good to see it for every upcoming game and raises good points for discussion.

By the same token, if anyone wants to take over the “Match Thread” duties….tough.

you keep it up mate, we all appreciate it and i look fwd to it win, lose or draw the match just finished. When u putting up the charity shield thread or u waiting until the xfer window closes lol

Speaking as someone with developing minor OCD traits, I think I can appreciate your situation.
    Carry on with whatever makes you happy/stable - I have no compunction to do regular threads.
    You've done a fine job this season just gone.
    Carry on the good work, chaps.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

More than happy to see you doing it again Sid. I never had a problem with the timing... it really doesn't make a difference to anyone and I could never understand why people moaned.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

I remember starting a your team against thread in our injury ravaged season, and getting a few frustrated responses including yourself. Life ruined.

Having done these threads in the past, the sentiment was these must be left to you. I do wish you put a bit more effort in to the threads.
    But carry on with your attachment to these threads if it pleases you, I'm not overly bothered.
    Just don't jinx us with your bad luck threads, thanks

Keep it up Sid.

Did I miss the your team v Fulham thread?!

Keep going please Sid, I 'think', although I'm not entirely sure, that the 'Your team v thread' was originally of my inception, way way back when, I've been here since 2004 and I don't remember such a thread being in existence or a regular feature until I started it, then I got banned for a spell during my major episode, other people took it on and it was still a regular thing when I returned and I was happy enough with that

I don't like and have never liked to be the regular doer of anything in communal things to be honest as I never know when 'the nothingness' will strike, and I will suddenly lose all interest in and ability to do things I have done regularly for some time and enjoyed, I'm hoping that's what happened to RedNoodle, that he had a sudden major bout of the nothingness, and that's why he's disappeared, it can be like a complete and sudden personality change, completely out of the blue
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    But carry on with your attachment to these threads if it pleases you, I'm not overly bothered.
    It's a difficult thing to explain. I'm not bothered at all about them right now as there is no compulsion and no perceived status quo.

If a new user skankhunt42 came in, said they wanted to do them and stuck the first one of the season up I'd be fine with it. But if he then stopped mid-way through or others made them any time we lost it'd itch a lot, which is incredibly uncomfortable.

Hence me trying to establish what the set-up will be for 22/23, whether it's me or someone else - just giving myself the best prep I can. OCD is a strange Beast.

Also - your point on more "effort" - what are you looking for? Form guide for the opposition? A paragraph about playing style? I generally like putting the team up and little else as I can have a draft made in less than the time it takes for Trent to take a throw-in (usually when I make one) possibly taking 2 seconds to change a name during the ball being out of play near injury time and then stick it up as close to the final whistle as possible to provide an alternative thread for those who don't necessarily want to angrily ruminate about a poor performance we can't undo - so the more I have to type, the less of the game I'd see, hence the format.

Open to suggestions all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I don't like and have never liked to be the regular doer of anything in communal things to be honest as I never know when 'the nothingness' will strike, and I will suddenly lose all interest in and ability to do things I have done regularly for some time and enjoyed, I'm hoping that's what happened to RedNoodle, that he had a sudden major bout of the nothingness, and that's why he's disappeared, it can be like a complete and sudden personality change, completely out of the blue
    Fingers crossed on RedNoodle.

I very much relate to what you're speaking about - have felt myself dipping in and out of the void of late with a few things, though I can trace that to changes in access to coping mechanisms during a time of prolonged stress and logically know I'll be stable relatively soon, thankfully. Hope you're not in that place just now.