Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lfc 22/23

Lfc 22/23

For me this coming season will be interesting as its the first season with 5 substitutes in the Premier league.

I'd ideally look for a rwf to be added above all else,
    Thereafter a midfielder and that would be me done for the summer.

Think we'll have to play 4231 to get the most out of our squad.
    I can accept 433 so long as 1 midfielder is going to be an actual attacking midfielder.
    Most certainly not Hendo in the attacking midfield role. ZZendo

In terms of our squad for now.
    *indicates player in more than 1 role

Gk Alisson & Kelleher

Rb Trent & Ramsay/Gomez*
    Rcb Matip & Konate
    Lcb VVD & Gomez/Nat
    Lb Robbo & Tsimi

6 Hendo & Fab
    8 Thiago & Milner/Jones*

Rwf Salah Taki Elliot
    10 Bobby Keita Carvalho
    Lwf Diaz Jota Keita*/Jones*
    Cf Nunez Jota* Bobby

With 5 subs to use each game, I expect out lesser spotted players to be highly motivated and seizing their opportunities over the season.

I also expect the excuse of fatigue and tiredness to fook off largely due to the 5 substitutions rule change.

I want the PL title, guessing the players want the big Double after the little one.

Admittedly, I know very little about the lad but the Carvalho kid is meant to be something special. That along with his mate Harvey Elliott a season stronger, Jurgen might just have a master plan !!

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Admittedly, I know very little about the lad but the Carvalho kid is meant to be something special. That along with his mate Harvey Elliott a season stronger, Jurgen might just have a master plan !!
    I'd add Jones & Ramsay to that pile, though Ramsay is likely to be bedded in overtime with Gomez seeing minutes.
    Jones gets a bit of criticism and stick but he's only 21 now and done well mostly when called upon.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I'd add Jones & Ramsay to that pile, though Ramsay is likely to be bedded in overtime with Gomez seeing minutes.
    Jones gets a bit of criticism and stick but he's only 21 now and done well mostly when called upon.
    Jones is a cracking footballer he has everything apart from confidence. Which at the highest level makes or breaks players. Hopefully he comes good next season.

I might not bother much - Not been liking our devolution since 20-21 being entirely honest - It's a tough watch rather than an enjoyable one too much of the time - It makes me laugh when CCTV prattles on about getting the most out of our squad, I find it a tough watch as we've not been making the best use of the players we have, in midfield in particular since when Fab came back in after the title was pretty much won in 19-20 and from then the supposed evolution and midfield ins and outs has been a disaster

Sorry but this idea of signing an injury prone, 30 year old, paupers Modric to try and be a designated playmaker and begin unravelling a lot of our greatest strengths in the process and lessen the contributions to making the play from different, less predictable areas of Virgil, Hendo and Trent in the process, lessen our once best in the world ability to be devastatingly direct and on the counter and trying to somehow build a new team around that, well, that's a fucking nonsense - P49 W33 D8 L8 Goals 2 Assists 4 Big chances created 6 makes for very poor reading -

Were he used differently, to look to create when the ball came to him naturally in how we played and in our patterns and other players contributing to making the play prior to his arrival and insistence on trying to dominate the ball, that might well be different and have been different, but as it is, he doesn't deliver what you'd be looking for from a player trying to operate as he tries to and won't and takes far too much of what our other players delivered consistently in 18-20 away from us as a team

We have yet to reach anywhere near the levels of 18-20 since after our defence of the title season was wrecked by injuries to our defence
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

That's a pity 19, Klopps ruined your love of LFC

Just a little note on the midfield.

Interests me that Carvalho has been described as arriving to play as a forward for now but longer term to go into midfield, particularly when bearing in mind how Elliott started the 21/22 season in terms of positional deployment.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    That's a pity 19, Klopps ruined your love of LFC
    Maybe If we'd stuck with Roy or the B-Rod we could've won things.
    Amazing to here any Liverpool supporters not happy with the club at the minute.

I'm really excited to see some of our youth in the coming years - not all of them will "make it" of course but a couple of lads have every chance eventually - Mateusz Musialowski, Kaide Gordon, Conor Bradley, Owen Beck, Max Woltman - Gordon and Musialowski being the two I am most excited about.

In the shorter-term, the age profile of the attack has come down rightly - Jota, Diaz, Núñez, Carvalho all in the under-26 area, which bodes very well if they live up to their billing. Adding another when we can would be fabulous and would "future-proof" much of the attack for years.

Age profile of the defence is pretty good as well - I'm sure someone will come in the coming years.

Midfield is the obvious area to bring the average age down and robustness up, so I can see a younger mid being targeted next Summer or maybe a pre-agreement in January.

Beyond excited about Núñez, think he will add Torres-esque levels of thrill to our play once he beds in - certainly won't panic if he doesn't hit the ground running. Keen to see what Carvalho, Elliott and Jones can do and what the next improvements will be in tactical tweaks for exploiting our excellent full-backs.

There will be an element of "transition" with Mane leaving and I think we will have a slight drop-off in terms of points (maybe 82-88 rather than 90+) but it had to happen eventually and we have 4 more seasons of Klopp - really thrilled to see how we tweak some of our attacking movements, possible tweaks to the offside traps, whether Konate can solidify himself as first-choice beside Van Dijk - lots of little points of interest.

Not to mention 5 subs and how we aim to exploit that to the fullest possible capacity, as our analytics lads will no doubt be on it.

Can't wait for it all!

Maybe If we'd stuck with Roy or the B-Rod we could've won things.
    Nothing to do with that, Jurgen was the manager I wanted and he has been brilliant, but he isn't infallible, he has his favourites and gets things wrong like all other managers, whilst we were better off squad wise last season, which together with some luck and favourable draws allowed us to compete in all competitions, best 11-14 players against other top sides wise we were worse than 18-20 and even 2021

I think the supposed evolution of our game has been made a mess of, I will never ever view bringing Fab back in after the team evolved in his absence in 19-20 with POTY Hendo bringing things to the role that Fabinho simply can't and will never be able to being a massive part of that evolution as a glaring and incredible error and favouritism, in football terms, with the team performing far better without Fab there was no sound reasoning for it and it cost us a shot at a League and Champions League double that season.

Fab made his name over half a season operating more as a high destroyer than a DM, he isn't even a top class DM and in a system such as ours, the DM/No6 needs to have at least Hendo's ability with the ball, which Fab doesn't. Fab got found out in that high pressing role in the final third of that first season, when we were better with Hendo at No6 in 19-20, we should have looked to move Fab on and bring in a No6 who could do the things Hendo did/does and is actually a No6 and a midfielder

If we hadn't let Gini go and we could have played a midfield 3 of Gini Hendo Thiago, which we never actually got the chance to do, I think Thiago would have made a far greater impact and been a far greater success than he has been to date

Part of the issue I have with Thiago is caused by Fab for the same reasons I had an issue with Fab coming back in at No6 when the team had been better without him and evolved without him, Fab isn't good enough with the ball, the full backs can't make the same well timed later runs forward in certainty he'll find them as Hendo did constantly in 19-20, as was all to horribly apparent in THAT first leg v Atletico, the forwards can't make their runs when Hendo's shaping up to play one over the top or goes back to Virgil or Trent, we've lost all of that, and all of that would still be of incredible benefit, to the team and new boy Nunez

The result of this with Thiago is he constantly drops to take the ball short off Fab or Alisson or Virgil or Robbo, when he should be staying further forward and our DM/No6 should be comfortable taking the ball from any of those players and effectively making the play, if simply, or giving it to Virgil or Trent to play their part in making the play from different angles and points of attack, as they both do so very well when one midfielder isn't trying to constantly dominate the ball

It inhibits our play, we overplay too much and play in front of sides far too much without the necessary tempo and intensity, we lose a lot of the incredible ability with the ball from Virgil, Trent and Hendo, it's diminishing our incredible, once best in the world ability on the counter and to be devastatingly direct. People seem to have overlooked just how many counter attacking positions we would have scored from 2 seasons ago or at least created the opportunity to shoot from we fluffed awfully as last season progressed

We aren't moving forward, we've moved backwards, in the last 2 seasons City have put an awful lot of work into doing the things we used to do that we are now no longer doing that made us so much better than them.

We haven't changed managers, the stronger squad and playing every game available to us has papered over quite a few cracks and things like our record against other top sides and inability to score in 3 finals and increasing profligacy on the counter have been drastically overlooked, it's not as drastic yet, but it's increasing reminding me of when Souness replaced Kenny, you can see how we play and the patterns of play and the best use of our best players that made us the best being laid to waste

Keep taking the piss or living in blatant denial all you want, if we continue the way the supposed evolution that's turned out to be devolution is going, it won't be long before we're scraping about for fourth place with all players fit and not really challenging for anything but one of the token domestic cups again, even under Jurgen, because as brilliant as he's been and the incredible evolution he oversaw has been, the devolution he's currently overseeing is every bit as painful as the rest was glorious
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”