Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171821 ... LastLast

Thread: The Midfield Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    What with the “bodies” comment…??

Come off it man.

He looked forlorn when Melo - was our only incoming mid. Or was I imagining that too?
    Oh, for sure he probably was let down with the Melo transfer.
    But that can often happen with deadline day signings.
    In other summer windows we moved from our first target to other targets, we didn't do that after touchameni, we ended up with Melo.

His 9 bodies and Melo:
    Fab, Hendo, Thiago, Elliot, Keita, Milner, Jones, Carvalho, Ox, Melo.

It's hard to see which players he doesn't like, or which ones aren't his signings.
    The idea he's upset with these bodies doesn't really fit with an effort to move them on and upgrade.
    You can point to his backing financially, net spend.
    But within that framework you can still move on one or two of the above and get someone in that you want.

Klopp did make a point of how easy it is to defend, park the bus, anti-football. Yet his recent continued selection of Elliot ahead of a struggling Trent and a 4th choice Gomez doesn't point to a genius decision.

I'm very happy to see Klopp here next season, regardless of what happens this season.
    Bit he's going to have to get back to basics and dealing with reality. He was quick to isolate and move players he didn't like out in the past. There's been a reluctance to show lads the door. In the end the Mr Nice Guy environment has come back to bite him. Players who are now looking out for their own interests, over his, or the clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I knew we were in trouble when Klopp said we had enough bodies in midfield. No thought of quality or particular personnel, just bodies.
    Anyone on the books in the younger bracket we foresee working?

Not an immediate fix of course but if we're in difficulties with a midfield that is collectively losing its' legs we should certainly look to the future.

Some of that should absolutely come with signings, but we can supplement that with lads already on the books.

Bajcetic is young and Morton is apparently bossing his loan. I'd happily give them minutes over, say, Arthur and Ox.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post

Not an immediate fix of course but if we're in difficulties with a midfield that is collectively losing its' legs we should certainly look to the future.

Some of that should absolutely come with signings, but we can supplement that with lads already on the books.

Bajcetic is young and Morton is apparently bossing his loan. I'd happily give them minutes over, say, Arthur and Ox.
    Think it's becoming more apparent by the game that it isn't the players from 4th to 8th choice that are the problem.

Fab, Hendo and to a lesser extent Thiago look done to me.

Corness is supposed to be decent but he is down the pecking order for seniors obviously.

No point counting Arthur Ox Keita they just dont stay fit for long enough and all 3 along with Milner are out of contract end of season.

We need two first team starting CMs by next summer.

We should get one in Jan and one next summer in an ideal world.

Most fans will want two in Jan but that just wont happen.

Morton could slot in next season and we could loan Bajcetic maybe ?

Hendo/Thiago/Jones will stay for sure.

Fabinho is an interesting one he could be sold if we get a decent offer say £30m.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Think it's becoming more apparent by the game that it isn't the players from 4th to 8th choice that are the problem.

True - but if we could improve the first-choice three (one young, high-quality athletic mid) via the transfer market AND get one of the young lads working the difference would be felt - plus we would lower the average age of the midfield as well, which would be bloody great.

Not suggesting we should stop at one midfield signing - the team needs refreshing for sure. But there are definitely lads I'd like to see tried too.

Good idea, I think Morton would certainly be worth a go. He can't be any less productive than say Jones or the other sicknotes.
    It's just us saying this though. If he was ready or worth it wouldn't he be brought back? Or will they want him to do a full season as a kind of apprenticeship? Would cutting that short be seen as a negative?
    Bringing in one or two mids alongside him with an eye on the future midfield 3 is something positive to think about and we need a little bit of that now.

I see Bellingham is being quoted at 130 million. No way is anyone worth that amount of money. Let Chelsea/Man-city or Real Madrid have him.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Curtis Jones put in a decent shift last night, imo.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post

Fab only works with a senior experienced mid either side of him and can cause us problems even then, but works more often than not with experience either side of him, his passing is still a problem when the opposition sit back and pick everyone but him up.

Hendo can work with any 2 of Thiago, Keita, Milner or Jones (none really work with Elliott and he also fucks up Mo and Trent)

Thiago needs Hendo and any of those listed directly above

We need Enzo 1st January, that's a massive difference straight away, No6 or No8, ideal No6 against PTB teams too

We are missing the intensity of the pressing from our forwards it must be noted, there's been a considerable drop in it following Mane's departure

Thiago's positioning in the press and counter press also needs work, he and Fab collectively let Modric and Casemiro play through us far too easily to release Valverde to assist for Real to score their winner in the Champions League final with their poor positioning and it was atrocious from both too many times last night also, it's not acceptable, they continually did and do very basic aspects of the press and counter press wrong
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Laimer seems to be the one being linked all over the media today.