Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314151617181922 ... LastLast

Thread: The Midfield Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I see Bellingham is being quoted at 130 million. No way is anyone worth that amount of money. Let Chelsea/Man-city or Real Madrid have him.
    Yeah £130m is massive.

Even at £100m (still a huge fee) the hypothetical £30m "left over" is the wages of 5 players at £120k-per-week for a year, or three youth prospects at £10m each, or half a £60m transfer fee - however you want to use it.

If we had £130m to spend I'd much rather be looking at a £60m player, £40m player and £30m player (you get the idea) rather than sinking all of the risk via one channel, with the only caveat to that being if the relevant experts "knew" (or as close as they can "know") that it would represent reasonable value for what we're attaining. If we use Sterling as a template, his fee was seen as pretty massive at the time, but Man City probably feel they got their worth over the length of the contract, especially considering they recouped some via a sale.

Seem to be an increase in the Declan Rice mutterings. Also talk of "Kvaradona" being chased by us and Chelsea at about £86m.

The takeaways there are that people LOVE linking us to players (massive fan base, lots of clicks) and that the market is pretty wild - we'll need to keep finding ways to generate revenue and sponsorships if the market keeps getting inflated much more.

Enzo Fernandez
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

The filthy have been showing an interest in him for a while. Ten Hag interested since he was at River Plate. We should have gone in for him this summer. Tug of war now with Chelsea probably too

We were too busy lamenting about Chou Chou allegedly, then went for Melo..

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    The filthy have been showing an interest in him for a while. Ten Hag interested since he was at River Plate. We should have gone in for him this summer. Tug of war now with Chelsea probably too

We were too busy lamenting about Chou Chou allegedly, then went for Melo..
    Maybe he was derailed Ie Cho Cho (sorry couldn't resist)
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Another template for an attacking mid.. Anyone remember him? So good they named him twice.. Jay-Jay Genius..

Off the charts he was..

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Another template for an attacking mid.. Anyone remember him? So good they named him twice.. Jay-Jay Genius..

Off the charts he was..
    He had absolute magic in his boots. Though, I always wondered why he never played for a top club.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    He had absolute magic in his boots. Though, I always wondered why he never played for a top club.
    It is a strange one. Not sure if he had that drive and hunger to work at the level required for a top club in top league. PSG the biggest he managed and they were hardly that big then. It seems pretty common for those with that level of talent and ability to get distracted. Can't be that easy to stay focussed when you can make top pro's look like they are drunk.

Here's another one.. Could have been one of the all time best and probably the only player to upstage Diego - on a few occasions too. Injuries are given as his biggest downfall and while it is a key part of it - imo - a lack of that 100% drive after leaving Red Star Belgrade ?- strangely just before they beat Stojkovic's Marseille in the European Cup final.

I have never seen touch or composure like it. He could humiliate you. Led very strong Spain, Brazil and Argentina sides a merry dance on his own at times.

A little too much emphasis on super fitness, running and tactics for my liking at the moment - Nordic power play.. Works for a time. It will change as the game evolves once more.. The next cycle is due soon, Be great if we could get stocked with the right players to benefit.

We need a 10...
    Last edited by Steveo; 4th November 2022 at 12:12 PM.

IF we want to see Salah posting record breaking numbers again... and he can.. we need a Jay-Jay or a Piksi..

Not easy to find I know but, there must be someone out there off the radar, who can destroy the shape of the opposition, or be the killer in the space.. someone who can create the space and or weigh in with double figures each season.

Silva looks to be managing just that at City..
    Last edited by Steveo; 4th November 2022 at 12:15 PM.

Cough... Cough... Thiago... Cough!

Very good - except Thiago has his work cut out trying to win duels right now (nobody else is) while also trying to dictate the tempo and keep the ball. We need a 10 to make the play in more advanced areas. Invention is in short supply and Mo is getting double/triple marked.

Non tree am can do that IF we have. Genuine 10. Klopp hoping it’s Jones… and he has quality. But we need to see more - if/when he develops.