Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend games

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    I’m failing to see what the owners have done wrong.
    The Glazers have done a few things wrong - much as I love a laugh at Man United fans basically gurning that they can't outspend everyone and/or buy the best players from their rivals to stay ahead - Cantona, Rooney, Ferdinand, Van Persie - or offer massively larger wages than every other club in the Division anymore.

- Lack of improvement when it comes to refurbishing Old Trafford is a big one.

- Dividends of about £11m getting taken out at the end of a season and put into owner's pockets.

- Structure of the debt is another. Manchester United owe a Hell of a lot of money that I think largely needs to be repaid in 2025 and 2027 unless there's been updates I'm not aware of. Those loans have been a drain in terms of interest costs, meaning Man United loses more money each year.

Compare that to us for example - we too have loans outstanding, but the sum involved is way lower, with much of it being interest free and it is being gradually repaid constantly over time rather than massive sums owed by certain dates. Any borrowed cash is mainly used to improve the infrastructure at Anfield - that helps generate higher matchday revenues which can either be invested in players (making us more likely to generate TV income and/or win things) or alternatively be used to pay off more debt.

You can invest your own money - you just can’t leave running costs higher than income. They are two different things.

Spurs have a billion pounds of debt so have to service that debt as running costs. Levy could pay off that debt if he wanted to - wouldn’t breach FFP

Recruitment is a big part of running a business. Recruiting managers is a part of that but so is player recruitment. Many clubs take responsibility for player recruitment and don’t leave much of it to managers

I see as full expected, Fulham reverted to type in the Premier league this week after running themselves into the ground against us last week. Mitrovic in particular was completely anonymous and missed a poor penalty to cap it off. Could and possibly should have also been sent off near the end.
    Waiting for a woeful attempt at bus parking v City and the inevitable mullering.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I see as full expected, Fulham reverted to type in the Premier league this week after running themselves into the ground against us last week. Mitrovic in particular was completely anonymous and missed a poor penalty to cap it off. Could and possibly should have also been sent off near the end.
    Waiting for a woeful attempt at bus parking v City and the inevitable mullering.
    In the style of taskin

Why did Fulham try their hardest against us?
    What makes you think that?
    is there any evidence for this?

(ps i agree)
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I see as full expected, Fulham reverted to type in the Premier league this week after running themselves into the ground against us last week.....
    I say this VERY much tongue-in-cheek, but if sides play to their very best against us all the time whilst constantly "lying down" for Man City, then there's very little point in stressing on the addition of a midfielder being the difference-maker for us!

yeah best not stress lets ENJOY IT
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    yeah best not stress lets ENJOY IT
    Yes lad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I say this VERY much tongue-in-cheek, but if sides play to their very best against us all the time whilst constantly "lying down" for Man City, then there's very little point in stressing on the addition of a midfielder being the difference-maker for us!
    Yes, if we surrender now, what is the point in trying.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Yes, if we surrender now, what is the point in trying.
    Tongue-in-cheek as I said. I'm sure you know what I mean - if sides genuinely try their best against us and genuinely "lie down" then a midfielder won't make a difference.

On a more serious note - I and seemingly 95% or more of LFC fans would love a quality mid to come in.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I personally find it hard to take Gary "something's not quite right at Liverpool" Neville terribly seriously.

He's cited Man City, Chelsea and Newcastle as ownership models because they have "injected their own money" rather than spend money they generate - so he's basically advocating the breach of FFP and (between the lines) essentially praying for a big spending State to come in and buy them out of their trouble.

This from the same fella who, 12 months ago or whatever it was spent about 30 minutes going on about spending getting out of control and the European Super League / current ownership models being too much, as if he was some sort of Messianic Che Guevara type figure who could see a revolution going forward.

He's spoken of a decrepit stadium. Thankfully not a worry for us as we developed one stand and have £80m set aside for another.

He's spoken of them needing a sporting Director. We have an excellent strategy in place through our own set-up.

His stint at Valencia says more about his level of knowledge than most of his statements I reckon.
    Totally agree - on most of this. On our stadium FSG have been below average. They have taken an age to not yet do 2 stands. At which point they will have completed half a stadium redevelopment imo.

I was teasing Taksin about what Gary said about Spurs.

He clearly chose to miss it