Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hose pipe bans and football pitches

We need to stop building more fucking houses without updating any of the associated infrastructure.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    We need to stop building more fucking houses without updating any of the associated infrastructure.
    Also seeing houses go up when there's roughly 500,000 houses sitting empty makes my blood boil - I keep seeing wild pockets getting built on, particularly young woodland/shrub habitat that surrounds some quieter industrial estates.

We'll never stop as a species until all the good stuff is gone. Nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Good man yourself!

Change the water daily in case they bathe in it. An awful lot of Pigeons are carrying Trichomoniasis (possible spelling error) these days and shared water for bathing is a big spreader - it's absolutely decimated the Greenfinch population since 2007.

There's a river system near me that has been very low this year - haven't seen Dippers on it at all which is a pity.
    Dear Sid, need to replenish the water rather than change it. It evaporates so quickly. But thank you for your advice there is also a massive bird flu explosion recently. Very sad to see! Any advice there?

Less pigeons more other birds can thrive......
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Dear Sid, need to replenish the water rather than change it. It evaporates so quickly. But thank you for your advice there is also a massive bird flu explosion recently. Very sad to see! Any advice there?
    Avian Influenza occuring on your garden is fairly unlikely - mostly seabirds are suffering - Gannets, Guillemots, Puffins and so on - though some ducks/geese too.

In terms of general advice to minimise spread of disease, clean feeders around once a week if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Only 2 round my house and about. You need to study and understand birds more. It is possible. Much more important is to understand the importance of water. For humans it is not enough just to store it for fear of legionella and other such water borne diseases. Prepared to offer advice on this going forward having been called an expert in the past.
    but simply, static water with food like algae turned into spray with a human population ,however little, equals danger!

Sparrowhawks and Peregrines would disagree, though disease spread is of course an issue.

What's interesting is the absolute explosion in Woodpigeon numbers in recent years - they seem to get through lean winters more easily due to rapeseed plantations having shoots at tough times of year.

Birds associated with traditional farming practices are the ones doing most poorly at the moment - things like Yellowhammer - also Curlew are in real trouble.

Over-fishing for sand eels, combined with the Avian Influenza outbreak means it's an especially bad time for Puffins. Was very lucky to get a good shot of three flying in sequence earlier in the year. Could become a photo that the next generation can't get at all which would be a shame.

Getting back to and more concerning my opening post! Basically If this drought continues should football pitches deserve more water than farmlands and if the hosepipe ban happens to football pitches can footballers still perform, or be expected to perform, on hard dry pitches !

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Getting back to and more concerning my opening post! Basically If this drought continues should football pitches deserve more water than farmlands and if the hosepipe ban happens to football pitches can footballers still perform, or be expected to perform, on hard dry pitches !
    It's not going to though is it?

Thunderstorms tomorrow.

after today drops to 20-23 again.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 14th August 2022 at 05:26 PM.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

It's not going to though is it?

Thunderstorms tomorrow.
    You are not getting it though are you. What is more important. Water is fundamental to life. Animals get by mostly on unclean water. They are in our food chsin. We are using less than we can supply but we need alsodesalinated clean water. So much goes down the pan. Next year I expect water to become more respected?