Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Liverpool v Crystal Palace

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    2 games in and "Jurgen Souness Klopp"
    Jesus wept.
    Been saying it since 19-20 and the Fab thing, it's been going backwards since then, we've never reached the same heights of how well we played in 19-20 automation, intensity, pressing and counter pressing, switches, ability to keep the ball, ability to mix it up, ability to be absolutely devastatingly direct, since then, as you will all testify, as you've all been lambasting me for constantly complaining about it ever since then and insisting the attempted evolution hasn't worked, it's made us weaker
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

The doom brigade is engorging ittsekf this norming on the rotting corpse of two lost points.. must feel wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    2 games in and "Jurgen Souness Klopp"
    Jesus wept.
    Turns on his own like shit off a stick.
    It's a beauty that one.

@19. In what way is this similar to Souness?
    He shipped out lots of players who in his words were coasting, sitting on their last big contract.
    It's the complete opposite of whats going on now.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    @19. In what way is this similar to Souness?
    He shipped out lots of players who in his words were coasting, sitting on their last big contract.
    It's the complete opposite of whats going on now.
    I wouldn't bother mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    That's an interesting statement. I've definitely seen a change in some of our fanbase these last few years. Not quite the "entitlement" that I associate with a certain generation of Man United fans, but there are definitely toys thrown out of the pram a bit more when we don't win, particularly since picking that 19th title up.

A shame really. The fight that we have had to get here. Souness, the exciting "not quite" years of Evans and the Spice Boys, Houlkier restoring pride, that 2001 Treble, Houllier's health, Rafa showing we could be a European powerhouse again, Fernando fucking Torres, Hicks and Gillett nearly letting us crumble to ruin, the Owl and his "famous away win to Bolton" before seeing the Return of the King, winning the League Cup with Kenny as Manager, the struggles to break into the Champion's League spots, efforts in the Europa League, coming so close in 13/14, the genius of Luis fucking Suarez, the heartache of Stevie's slip, the low of a 6-1 against Stoke S Stevie's last game, the Bedlam of being linked to and acquiring "the Normal One" and getting Champion's League football again - regularly at that - finally winning it after thinking that our season would be cancelled, 3 Champion's League Finals in 5 seasons.....

There have been ups and downs. The bad stuff made the good stuff all the sweeter. What's happening right now with a shaky start to 22/23 is just part of a never-ending story, with new chapters all being written. The lows are part of it so we can take this for what it is - which, in the grand perspective of this club's history, is the smallest of blips.

We have Klopp, we have Champion's League winners and League winners in the side, the stadium is bigger than it was, it's set to expand again very soon and we have a state-of-the-art facility. These are good times and if anyone thinks otherwise then God help them post-Klopp as they aren't going to cope.

Life at the top is hard - but we are so privileged to be here. For years we ACHED just to taste Champion's League football - now we complain that we might not win the League.....we absolutely have to keep perspective. That doesn't mean we stop trying to improve or "settle for second best" but we can't let entitlement creep in - we're not Man United.

Good post. What disappoints me in our time with Klopp recently is that we haven't prioritised competitions. It's great to win some trophies and it can build confidence but I would have loved to see us prioritise the CL and PL last season. Winning the FA cup and Carabao just doesn't cut it anymore I'm afraid. I know purists don't like that argument but we want to be back on our perch and winning them doesn't do it. Klopp won't be here forever. We know from Rafa's time that things can go away as easily as they arrive. We had good times with Rafa and should have won the league in 09. 14 we should have won it with B-Rod. Sadly we missed out and despite the wonderful win with Klopp, United are still one ahead of us.

It was great to get to the CL final again last season but we didn't show much to be honest against what you could call an ageing madrid side (albeit with some quality). I think that's cos we were tired.

Let's hope we can get back on track next Monday with a good win and Man city might have a slip up somewhere soon.

Edit:

I also think we need to focus on beating City in our head-to-heads. That's where we could make the difference in tight seasons as we're having. Last season It was frustrating to see us beat Man City in the cup having only drawn in the league. The opposite was needed.
    Last edited by Red October; 16th August 2022 at 12:00 PM.
    From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend on reading it. Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post
    Good post. What disappoints me in our time with Klopp recently is that we haven't prioritised competitions. It's great to win some trophies and it can build confidence but I would have loved to see us prioritise the CL and PL last season. Winning the FA cup and Carabao just doesn't cut it anymore I'm afraid. I know purists don't like that argument but we want to be back on our perch and winning them doesn't do it. Klopp won't be here forever. We know from Rafa's time that things can go away as easily as they arrive. We had good times with Rafa and should have won the league in 09. 14 we should have won it with B-Rod. Sadly we missed out and despite the wonderful win with Klopp, United are still one ahead of us.

It was great to get to the CL final again last season but we didn't show much to be honest against what you could call an ageing madrid side (albeit with some quality). I think that's cos we were tired.

Let's hope we can get back on track next Monday with a good win and Man city might have a slip up somewhere soon.

Edit:

I also think we need to focus on beating City in our head-to-heads. That's where we could make the difference in tight seasons as we're having. Last season It was frustrating to see us beat Man City in the cup having only drawn in the league. The opposite was needed.
    We played kids and reserves up to the semis of both competitions. It equates to an extra 5 games for the first XI(ish).
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Well you say that but Klopp wouldn't play him. I personally think Origi has been treated pretty poorly over the last few years. His ability and performances warranted far more game time.

Even before signing Nunez, i'd have persoanlly made Origi the main man and spent the Nunez money on midfield.
    He was treated poorly. There's little value in a player that Klopp won't deploy readily. Felt the same about Taki last season.

Taki played a major role in our domestic cup runs, top scorer in both those competitions.
    He watched Salah bang out of form, for the latter half of the season and got fook all minutes.

Iirc he played in the bteam that beat Southampton in the league at the end of the season, and barely made the squads mostly.
    Having produced 10 goals & 1 assist in 1,008 minutes all comps, he couldnt get a spot on the bench as our second rwf whilst the first lad Salah was devoid of any end product.

It's nice to see Taki leaving to try and get into a team/squad and restart his career. Still has the hunger to play

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Feel for you Ian mate. Bet that team sheet was a right knee in the fanny too.

Sorry you travelled all the way to see that. To be fair though - considering we had 10 - we did pretty fooking well.
    Trust me mate, been going to Anfield since the early 80's which during that time I was just a bit too young to appreciate the Liverpool teams and performances. Now into the 90's my teenage years and into the latter, alcohol helped watching awful teams. So last night as bad as it was , was no were near as bad as I've put myself through down the years.

Yep agreed you miss those sorts CCTV they never moan and do a solid job.

Utd used to have that with Welbeck/O'Shea not world beaters but you know they will play for the team.

Onto last night a draw isnt bad when you look at what Darwin did but people will be angry/upset as they know you need 90+ to win the title.

My mindset last few seasons has always been City will win it they just have a better squad and their titles prove it.

We all want to win nobody wants to lose/draw my thinking is without some loon with loads of dough or state funding we just cant compete season after season.

I think the way we do it is the right organic way its just whilst countries own clubs it is mighty hard to beat them.