Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Liverpool v Crystal Palace

You know, I almost miss the days chasing 4th...

I imagine this has already been mentioned- our injury situation was a factor in Zaha's goal imo. Matip or Konate might have been able to deal better with Zaha's run. That's not a criticism of Nat Phillips' performance, mind. He had a decent game.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Despite the trouble we put ourselves in before Christmas, we finished just one point off. Villa defend a 2-0 lead on the last day and we win the League - that is how close it was.

With that in mind, it's worth remembering that last season, 4 of our 8 League draws and 1 of our 2 League losses came in the first 11 games.

From League game 22 to game 38 we drew 2 matches and won ALL of the rest.

As head-in-hands as our poor start has been, there's no way we can call the League over after 2 games if our most recent League season is anything to go by. We could win it, we could miss out by 20 points, we could miss out by a single point - we simply have no idea - but it isn't "over" after 2 matches.

There's 2 things we need to do - first is to find a way to grind out wins before the World Cup break, the second is to find a way to come out all guns blazing afterwards.
    This!

In fact all of this.
    You don't win or lose the league in the first two matches.

Anymore than you're crowned Champions simply because you're top of the heap by Christmas (<- now THIS,.... we of all teams would know).

All of which to say, plenty to happen between now and April/May next year (and that's not even taking into account the effect that having a World Cup in the middle of everything will have on the title race)

Yes, it's probably not ideal falling behind City to early since we all know what sort of runs they can put together to win the league.
    But they're going to drop points too.
    Especially where and when they don't expect it, and particularly given their desperation to win that other bit trophy that's so far eluded Pep while at City.

I'd much rather we be having these "stumbles" now rather than dropping points against Spurs at home in the second last week of the league when we know we need to win everything just to have a chance.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Look after yourself too. Hope the wife is as well as she can be too.

I actually have used ASMR every night for about 8 or 9 years now! I also used to do walks in crowded areas with it in the earphones (I'd use a YouTube converter to rip the audio as it's all I need, not a visual trigger guy) to try and take the "edge" off as I have massive crowd/layers-of-noise issues and an ambition is to see a match at Anfield one day without it costing me about 2 weeks of recovering!
    Thanks buddy - as good as we could have hoped.

Glad to hear you are an ASMR man yourself. Confession time. I have had a awareness of it - or a sensitivity to it - since I was a wee nipper. Used to stay up in the Pool with my Grandparents. My gran would try and fish out a book to read me every night from shelves above the bed. And the sound of that rummaging used to all but send me to nod itself. Yep books and the sounds they make - that’s my poison.

I have been a user now for a similar time to you. Every night. Feels like a crutch an addiction - but it just works for
    me. Natural born insomniac.

Yep really good points made Sid

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    You know, I almost miss the days chasing 4th...
    That's an interesting statement. I've definitely seen a change in some of our fanbase these last few years. Not quite the "entitlement" that I associate with a certain generation of Man United fans, but there are definitely toys thrown out of the pram a bit more when we don't win, particularly since picking that 19th title up.

A shame really. The fight that we have had to get here. Souness, the exciting "not quite" years of Evans and the Spice Boys, Houlkier restoring pride, that 2001 Treble, Houllier's health, Rafa showing we could be a European powerhouse again, Fernando fucking Torres, Hicks and Gillett nearly letting us crumble to ruin, the Owl and his "famous away win to Bolton" before seeing the Return of the King, winning the League Cup with Kenny as Manager, the struggles to break into the Champion's League spots, efforts in the Europa League, coming so close in 13/14, the genius of Luis fucking Suarez, the heartache of Stevie's slip, the low of a 6-1 against Stoke S Stevie's last game, the Bedlam of being linked to and acquiring "the Normal One" and getting Champion's League football again - regularly at that - finally winning it after thinking that our season would be cancelled, 3 Champion's League Finals in 5 seasons.....

There have been ups and downs. The bad stuff made the good stuff all the sweeter. What's happening right now with a shaky start to 22/23 is just part of a never-ending story, with new chapters all being written. The lows are part of it so we can take this for what it is - which, in the grand perspective of this club's history, is the smallest of blips.

We have Klopp, we have Champion's League winners and League winners in the side, the stadium is bigger than it was, it's set to expand again very soon and we have a state-of-the-art facility. These are good times and if anyone thinks otherwise then God help them post-Klopp as they aren't going to cope.

Life at the top is hard - but we are so privileged to be here. For years we ACHED just to taste Champion's League football - now we complain that we might not win the League.....we absolutely have to keep perspective. That doesn't mean we stop trying to improve or "settle for second best" but we can't let entitlement creep in - we're not Man United.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    In the meantime, I suggest he uses his time off with the ban to work on target-practice with his shots.
    Most of the squad should also practice shooting, not just Darwin.
    We've been lacking in our chances converted for more than this season!

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Most of the squad should also practice shooting, not just Darwin.
    We've been lacking in our chances converted for more than this season!
    His first touch was off too. Maybe he was frustrated. Klopp looked furious with him

That's an interesting statement. I've definitely seen a change in some of our fanbase these last few years. Not quite the "entitlement" that I associate with a certain generation of Man United fans, but there are definitely toys thrown out of the pram a bit more when we don't win, particularly since picking that 19th title up.

A shame really. The fight that we have had to get here. Souness, the exciting "not quite" years of Evans and the Spice Boys, Houlkier restoring pride, that 2001 Treble, Houllier's health, Rafa showing we could be a European powerhouse again, Fernando fucking Torres, Hicks and Gillett nearly letting us crumble to ruin, the Owl and his "famous away win to Bolton" before seeing the Return of the King, winning the League Cup with Kenny as Manager, the struggles to break into the Champion's League spots, efforts in the Europa League, coming so close in 13/14, the genius of Luis fucking Suarez, the heartache of Stevie's slip, the low of a 6-1 against Stoke S Stevie's last game, the Bedlam of being linked to and acquiring "the Normal One" and getting Champion's League football again - regularly at that - finally winning it after thinking that our season would be cancelled, 3 Champion's League Finals in 5 seasons.....

There have been ups and downs. The bad stuff made the good stuff all the sweeter. What's happening right now with a shaky start to 22/23 is just part of a never-ending story, with new chapters all being written. The lows are part of it so we can take this for what it is - which, in the grand perspective of this club's history, is the smallest of blips.

We have Klopp, we have Champion's League winners and League winners in the side, the stadium is bigger than it was, it's set to expand again very soon and we have a state-of-the-art facility. These are good times and if anyone thinks otherwise then God help them post-Klopp as they aren't going to cope.

Life at the top is hard - but we are so privileged to be here. For years we ACHED just to taste Champion's League football - now we complain that we might not win the League.....we absolutely have to keep perspective. That doesn't mean we stop trying to improve or "settle for second best" but we can't let entitlement creep in - we're not Man United.
    There probably is a bit of unjustified entitlement there. I think with most though it's a finger that we got to a certain point and we haven't built on it in some areas and midfield is the most obvious.
    It's glaring that we need reinforcing and have done for a while, people can say City haven't X,Y and Z players but they haven't lost any of that core that make them so formidable.
    The thing with LFC fans is the fear of going back to where we once were.

Quote Originally Posted by fiordearg View Post
    His first touch was off too. Maybe he was frustrated. Klopp looked furious with him
    I think his first touch is poor in general, gets tangled up in his own feet. Early days and I said last week I'll gladly be wrong if he comes good but I'm not seeing what some others are.