Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: At last! VAR being questioned.

It took a full 5 minutes to disallow a goal at Brighton today.
    Absolutely ridiculous and ruining the game.

This sort of bullshit has been happening from day one, I see no benefit whatsoever, they are still getting numerous important result changing decisions wrong every week, while we can’t celebrate a goal until they’ve spent 10 minutes deciding how they can chalk it off.

“Referees' body PGMOL has effectively accepted controversial VAR decisions made at Chelsea and Newcastle were wrong and will fully co-operate with a Premier League review of the incidents.

The decisions denied Newcastle United and West Ham goals against Crystal Palace and Chelsea, respectively.

Both teams thought they had scored, with the goals confirmed by the on-pitch referee.

But in each instance the goals were disallowed after VAR.

The decisions have been heavily criticised, with many arguing that the role of VAR is not to reverse debatable calls that have already been made.

The Premier League is to now review the decisions with the PGMOL as a matter of priority.”

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I have come round 180. Was also for it but have to admit - it’s a total mess.

Bin it - at least until we can get consistency utilising computers/ai to adjudicate. The human element makes decisions as bad as before but (arguably even easier to match fix) with all the destructive elements to the game itself. A goal is not a goal anymore. Nobody can celebrate. Nobody is sure of the rules or how and when to implement. It changes with the wind.

It’s ruining the sport tbh.
    I've got to admit i'm the same now.

I was all for VAR as it "should" work.

I've watched German, Spanish, Italian and CL games and I hardly see a bad call (granted my sample size of games is small I tend to only watch us).

First thing they should do is let fans hear what is being said like they do in rugby/cricket.

Or are footy fans too dumb to understand ?! I hate the fact that Sky/BT know before us what is happening its plain wrong.

I’m with Miller. I didn’t want it. I’ve hated it since day one. I still hate it now. Nothing would make me happier than the whole being scrapped, although I know that’s never going to happen. I simply don’t believe that there’s no corruption behind the scenes.

They can come out and apologise for the mistakes, but that doesn’t give teams points that they have been denied. At the end of the day, this has a true bearing on the outcome of league positions.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    The use should not be under attack. The people should.
    Exactly, it worked fine and looked set to rid the game of its obvious corruption through bent officiating in the first season it was used and used correctly, to make sure the decisions made in the big and often defining moments of games were made correctly

When the FA, Premier League and PGMOL quickly realised using VAR for the purpose of its inception stopped the being able to dictate the outcomes of games and title races as they desired and had enjoyed until VAR's inception, they started down the road of using their first buzz word "subjective" as an excuse for decisions that were clear cut and given the same for the same instance in ever other game except in the one they wanted to fix

And it's gone on from there

It needs FIFA and UEFA to lay down a very clear and detailed use and correct interpretation of VAR set in stone to remove any of the excuses or misuse we've seen since the first season of VAR's use
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Agreed on the public deliberations. Why hide it? Make the discussion public like other sports so people can understand what is going on.
    Just use it as it was used in the first season in the Prem and as it is used in all other sports without issue, to make sure the right decisions are made

That's what's wrong with it, the English FA, Premier League and Refs association match fixed for a very long time, they want to continue doing so, so they are deliberately misusing the system brought in to ensure the correct decisions are made and wilfully failing to apply the laws of the game in some cases, which FIFA and UEFA should absolutely intervene in, because there's no excuse for it whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    This sort of bullshit has been happening from day one, I see no benefit whatsoever, they are still getting numerous important result changing decisions wrong every week, while we can’t celebrate a goal until they’ve spent 10 minutes deciding how they can chalk it off.

“Referees' body PGMOL has effectively accepted controversial VAR decisions made at Chelsea and Newcastle were wrong and will fully co-operate with a Premier League review of the incidents.

The decisions denied Newcastle United and West Ham goals against Crystal Palace and Chelsea, respectively.

Both teams thought they had scored, with the goals confirmed by the on-pitch referee.

But in each instance the goals were disallowed after VAR.

The decisions have been heavily criticised, with many arguing that the role of VAR is not to reverse debatable calls that have already been made.

The Premier League is to now review the decisions with the PGMOL as a matter of priority.”
    In these instances, the VAR official(s) should be fined, heavily. And suspended.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Lee Mason has been removed from VAR duties following the disallowed goal for Newcastle

Quote Originally Posted by fagin View Post
    Lee Mason has been removed from VAR duties following the disallowed goal for Newcastle
    Lee Mason one of the worst referees in recent history. Absolute bag of shite.

Quote Originally Posted by fagin View Post
    That tells you all you need to know about the corruption in the Premier League, Tierney and Kavanagh have committed numerous unexplainable decisions and failures to apply the laws of the game, as match referee or as VAR official, either in either Manchester side's favour or against Liverpool, and have yet to be sanctioned - How they escaped sanction for the non penalty for the bitters shows just how corrupt our game is

Now a ref's getting sanctioned for not giving the money men at Newcastle what they want