Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Arsenal

Alisson
    Trent Matip VVD Robbo
    Salah Hendo Thiago Jota
    Nunez Bobby

Controversially going for Diaz as supersub for this one, Robbo to start if fit to play, and Nunez up top.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Baffling
    That's your opinion, which is absolutely fine and you're perfectly entitled to have it.

Play Devil's Advocate for a moment though. Is it SO baffling?

The lad manages 26 goals in 28 League appearances last season. Think it was 34 goals in 41(?) appearances in all comps as well. It's a weaker League - sure - but he knows how to score goals.

Does he need to do better in front of goal tonight? Absolutely - at least one of them has to go in, irrespective of McGregor having a good game.

But he was moving well and got into the good positions to score in the first place not to mention that of his 4 shots, he gets all of them on target. As he regains some form and confidence, he'll start making better choices - lifting the ball over the keeper, finding the corners, sweeping it in rather than blasting it - and so on. His movement and touch for the chance provided from relatively deep by Henderson were great - a shame he gets a bit over-excited and hits it straight at the keeper.

He won't regain confidence sitting on the bench. If Klopp doesn't pick him at the weekend that's no problem - though I do hope he gets at least 20 minutes from the bench if he isn't started. Arsenal are a shorter side and a set piece could be the difference.

Besides, as amazing as Salah has been for us, he has had plenty of games where he fluffed chance after chance - usually getting a goal eventually to be fair - which Núñez will too, I have no doubt.

We can't pick Nunez but we CAN pick a guy who has absolutely no record of ever successfully covering Trent's forays forward in a single game he's ever played for us and who has been in absolutely woeful form and look to rely solely on Thiago for our creativity and to release those runs in behind and our fullbacks with his zero track record of doing those things for us - Erm whatever floats your boat
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Don’t think Henderson can play 3 in a week anymore

He is struggling to play 1. I’m sorry but covering Trent’s “runs” is not enough. Certainly not to hold down a place in an elite midfield.

That was another decidedly average showing from him last night - against a very weak side, whatever anyone says.

I get that he has his fans in here, but we need him to be better.

Thiago wasn’t great either but still ahead of Hendo for me. On all player ratings I can find he is ahead too. Kept the ball moving quickly, changing the angles - and with one touch into feet - instead of taking 2 touches to pass it 2 yards back to the player who passed him the ball, or hoofing balls forward without looking and squandering possession - or plying a slow ball high in the air to a forward who has 2 men closing him down. A play some in here call “excellent”. This is supposed to be top level football not Sunday league. Regardless - neither were worthy of special praise last night.

Both will play at the Emirates and both will need to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Don’t think Henderson can play 3 in a week anymore
    Think it being Tuesday-Sunday schedule is helpful, plus he did get to come off which helps.

If he is played against Arsenal I wouldn't (personally) be picking him for the second Rangers match.

If he is - then it proves that we are utterly dependent on him. That would be the biggest indicator yet (were one needed) that we have totally dropped more than just one bollock on the midfield especially.

FYI

I am ramping up the negativity deliberately Sid. Since becoming more optimistic and daring to dance in the light, we have gone to the dogs.

Superstitious nonsense I hear you all cry… and probably the truth..but I am getting desperate. A loss to Arsenal will make my week intolerable. Drastic measures are needed.
    Last edited by Steveo; 5th October 2022 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    But he was moving well and got into the good positions to score in the first place not to mention that of his 4 shots, he gets all of them on target.
    In the interest of accuracy, I've remembered an off-target shot in the second half. So not all of his shots were on-target, though most were.

Also unlucky not to get an assist - Diaz's blocked effort that goes just wide off a Rangers player. Plus won us the free-kick that Trent converts.

I'm not trying to say he had a brilliant game. But he certainly didn't have a shocker.

You are quite right it wasn’t a shocker, but for a guy with something to prove AND against such weak opposition, you expect him to show some quality. He showed everything but. Made the runs - but didn’t have the quality from numerous opportunities.

First touch - poor

Passing - poor
    Both timing, accuracy and weight

Shooting - poor

If he gets a starting berth from that, I would be a bit shocked. I say bench. Get him hungry. Get the monkey off his back