Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Arsenal

He’s English - he has this technique… What would he cost and would we ever be able to even enter the debate for him if he were?

Regardless of the position on the pitch.. technique is technique. Forget his drive and desire - check that technique. How he hits a ball, how he owns it when in possession. What would he be worth?

Steveo, if you like a stocky, skilful striker from Uruguay with a never-say-die attitude with some flicks and tricks thrown in, you should hop aboard the Matías Arezo train. Choo Choo!

Looks like he could be excellent. I'd love us to take a risk on acquiring him early, rather than seeing Dortmund or whoever else take the gamble, then sell him to us for 5 times the money. Wouldn't be ready for our first team, but could be loaned out.

In the voice of Ben Stiller… Do it!

Jokes aside.. I was asking about the technique. I cannot fathom what an English player with Suarez’s technique would cost. Not that we have ever had one, but it seems like the price would be impossibly high - totally unattainable for us at least?

I guess you would have to ask - would it be worth paying the price even if we were prepared? Surely the rest of the team would be gutted to accommodate?

This is the crux of my objection to Bellingham. He looks good BUT will cost so much and likely will deliver well below expectation or relative value. Can we afford to make a mistake that big? As Klopp’s contract ending is now in sight - I say no way.
    Last edited by Steveo; 6th October 2022 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I guess you would have to ask - would it be worth paying the price even if we were prepared? Surely the rest of the team would be gutted to accommodate?

This is the crux of my objection to Bellingham. He looks good BUT will cost so much and likely will deliver well below expectation or relative value. Can we afford to make a mistake that big? As Klopp’s contract ending is now in sight - I say no way.
    Assuming Bellingham will cost the larger part of £130m I'd personally rather get two £35m lads and a £60m lad - two mids and a top forward or defender. However there would be hidden costs there - agent fees for 3 players likely greater than that of one, three sets of wages almost certainly greater than that of one.

We don't know the future market either. I remember £50m seeming a HUGE fee for Sterling, but Man City got plenty of good from him and recouped some money.

A "Bellingham" could be closer to £180m in five or six years for all we know. Even a lad like Richarlison goes for a considerable wedge these days. Therein lies the gamble. Bellingham is young enough that we could acquire him, have him for 4-6 years and he would still have time to join Real Madrid or whoever with us getting a wedge back. He could potentially be bought by us for £130m, given a 6-year deal and sold after 3 or 4 years to another club for £70m or more. Lads like Torres and Suarez helped us a lot in their 3-and-a-half-year stints.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Steveo, if you like a stocky, skilful striker from Uruguay with a never-say-die attitude with some flicks and tricks thrown in, you should hop aboard the Matías Arezo train. Choo Choo!

Looks like he could be excellent. I'd love us to take a risk on acquiring him early, rather than seeing Dortmund or whoever else take the gamble, then sell him to us for 5 times the money. Wouldn't be ready for our first team, but could be loaned out.
    He is at Citys feeder club so i'd cross him off the list !

In the voice of Ben Stiller… Do it!

Jokes aside.. I was asking about the technique. I cannot fathom what an English player with Suarez’s technique would cost. Not that we have ever had one, but it seems like the price would be impossibly high - totally unattainable for us at least?

You can can count on two hands the amount of English players that have/had 'proper technique' and an excellent first touch!

To me the first touch is 90% of the game, it certainly helps if your second touch isnt a tackle!

However, that doesn't mean that other types of players cant/aren't effective. Look at man of the moment Haaland, he's first touch and in and link up play is not very good, but he is certainly effective!

Stevie G is a great example, certainly not as silky as an Iniesta or a Zidane but arguably more effective than both.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    He is at Citys feeder club so i'd cross him off the list !
    Ach, poo!

That's no fun!

I continue to believe that the overwhelming majority of English football fans, coaches and pundits - have little to no understanding of the finer details of football technique. Probably why there are so few English coaches at the top level. Bellingham will be a huge waste of dosh for whoever buys him.
    Technique is a fine thing, and most footballers are undeveloped in their technique is several ways, Maradonna was probably the only player ever seen with something approaching complete technique for all elements of the game, Suarez was up there too, but not many have it, because it's more than what you do with the ball, it's body shape, dribbling, turning or rolling players, making a player step across by feigning to do one thing, before slipping the ball between their legs leaving them completely flat flooted, how you close them down and/or approach them to tackle them

Technique in midfielders doesn't count for a great deal without vision, understanding and awareness, if you have technique without the other 3 in the required measure, a player with lesser technique who has the other 3 in greater measure will often out perform you, because they understand what the right ball to play is, having world class technique without the other 3 means you'll frequently play what look to be incredibly sexy passes, that don't really lead to anything, which sounds eerily familiar

The other 3 are the difference between trying to squeeze a worldie through the eye of a needle and understanding that while there are 3 players in front of you that you could attempt to do that for, playing it to the full back arriving on the left unseen with those 3 ahead of him will likely provide a better route to goal
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    You can can count on two hands the amount of English players that have/had 'proper technique' and an excellent first touch!

To me the first touch is 90% of the game, it certainly helps if your second touch isnt a tackle!

However, that doesn't mean that other types of players cant/aren't effective. Look at man of the moment Haaland, he's first touch and in and link up play is not very good, but he is certainly effective!

Stevie G is a great example, certainly not as silky as an Iniesta or a Zidane but arguably more effective than both.
    Good points - however Gerrard, all action star that he was, wasn’t close to the level of either Iniesta or Zidane. Not nearly as good a player nor as effective overall. Zidane is a different league frankly. Iniesta, proves the point however. Small and not able to impose himself physically - yet utterly devastating. Check the great Messi post Iniesta. Different gravy.

This is the point. Gerrard was outstanding by English Standards YET in an England shirt he was just a decent player, nothing more. Both Iniesta and Zidane crucial to winning both World Cups and Euro Championships.

Technique isn’t everything BUT it is the basis of all the greats. Watch Luka Modric in the current game.

Saucy, and yet so few long balls over the top.

The great players can do it in any team.