Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It An Overreaction?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    If we don't finish high enough to get Champions League football next season (which, from the looks of things we won't), then I don't want us in Europa League or Europa Conference football either
    Hypothetical for you - we could qualify for the Champion's League last-16 and get beaten by a PSG/Real Madrid/Bayern Munich.

That would leave a considerable chunk of the season where we are getting more breaks between games while some of our rivals for 4th (Chelsea, Tottenham, Man United) may have competitions to juggle.

Would you hold any hope of us sneaking it at the Death?

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I think Mané’s sale panicked the club into giving Salah his new contract when he’d been poor since AFCON. We’ll not see prime Salah again.
    Agree. I don't see him recapturing form. We need a new talisman up front. It aint Nunez.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Agree. I don't see him recapturing form. We need a new talisman up front. It aint Nunez.
    Think it's far too early to judge Núñez in either direction. He could yet prove a brilliant buy and he could yet wilt over the enormity that is our club and his price tag - our record transfer at all.

Tsimikas, Diaz, Jota and Núñez are arguably the four lads this season who have been furthest away from lacklustre performances - and certainly have been 4 of the more energetic-looking lads.

The common denominator? They're some of the lads who have the least miles in the legs in this counter-pressing, energy-reliant side.

Looking forward, more energy and enthusiasm needs to come into this team. It is more than likely at the end of a "cycle" and Salah's calendar year points to it likely being a wise decision not to solve problems by handing Mane a bumper contract.

The spine (Alisson, Van Dijk, Matip, Henderson, Thiago, Firmino) isn't full of useless players - far from it - but we do need to be looking at rejuvenating it - starting with the midfield. All of that list can still contribute - some of them in a big way - but we need to recruit and also have to place some faith in some of the lads around the squad too.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Think it's far too early to judge Núñez in either direction. He could yet prove a brilliant buy and he could yet wilt over the enormity that is our club and his price tag - our record transfer at all.

Tsimikas, Diaz, Jota and Núñez are arguably the four lads this season who have been furthest away from lacklustre performances - and certainly have been 4 of the more energetic-looking lads.

The common denominator? They're some of the lads who have the least miles in the legs in this counter-pressing, energy-reliant side.

Looking forward, more energy and enthusiasm needs to come into this team. It is more than likely at the end of a "cycle" and Salah's calendar year points to it likely being a wise decision not to solve problems by handing Mane a bumper contract.

The spine (Alisson, Van Dijk, Matip, Henderson, Thiago, Firmino) isn't full of useless players - far from it - but we do need to be looking at rejuvenating it - starting with the midfield. All of that list can still contribute - some of them in a big way - but we need to recruit and also have to place some faith in some of the lads around the squad too.
    I see where you and others are coming from. I just don't get a good feeling about that signing.
    Agree our squad isn't full of useless players but it is time for Klopp to start his second great side. This one has been relied on for too long, especially the bigger players.
    If he's backed he'll do it. It's upto FSG to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    To say our best chance of playing Champions League football next season, is to finish third in our group and win the Europa?

Premier League looks too fast and furious for our Dad’s army.

What a fall from grace, 6 goals conceded in our last two and we have already spent more time losing in matches than the whole of last season.
    Sorry Miller I hadn't read this thread when I posted mine

yes our best chance of Champions League football next season is already to finish third in our Champions League group and win the Europa

Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal are all far better equipped with squads younger, with better availability and better quality in depth to take more points off other top six sides and the remaining other sides than our squad is

FSG's belief their model works because Jurgen has been making a silk purse from a sow's ear every year has caught up with them as it was always going to, their model doesn't work, you can't keep letting sides wanting to be where you are keep improving with proven quality players who are younger, in some cases better, equal to or not far off your players in ability, have far better fitness and availability records and amass a greater squad/pool of players of that type while you stand still, your players age and pick up availability issues, you'll get caught and overtaken

Winning football's top prizes and regularly competing for them can't be done on the budget and finances they have given Jurgen, by anyone but Jurgen, and with the amount of money other clubs are spending and generating, it can't be done any further than it has been done, FSG and Jurgen himself have allowed a host of other clubs to reel us in

Jurgen should have moved on Oxlade, Keita, Minamino, Gomez and Fabinho in the summer of 2020 at the latest and they should have been replaced with quality players who would now be in the 25-28 year old age range still on the up Should have made Mane stay another season and moved Bobby on this summer just gone, even if that meant Mane going for free this summer, Mane scores goals, lots of goals, although he lost a little pace and power post Covid he was still a top top Premier League players and brilliant option at LFWD, RFWD and No9

Jurgen and his staff do HAVE to take some severe flack from FSG too, they are penny pinching wrong uns true enough, but Jurgen hasn't helped by insisting on keeping certain players who are never fit or aren't good enough Oxlade, Keita, Fab, Gomez, Minamino and Origi were all clearly in this category in the summer of 2020 - Letting Bobby go and making Mane see his contract out was a no brainer, we have no genuine option to play in place of Mo or Diaz, not fucking one, letting Mane go was a monumental fuck up

Most urgently needs is a top No6 and a top class forward who can play LFWD and RFWD we need top quality options in those positions, currently we have one player in each position who is good enough, when on form, and even with Diaz's performances, he's not adding the goals we need him too we're missing from Mane
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Klopp has stated many times that he doesn’t get the final say on signings. So he isn’t moving anyone on.

You know - just so we understand reality from fiction.

The buck stops with the owners and their complete downing of tools since we won number 6!

Investment has been pathetic for any club attempting to get into that bracket and certainly for one with any ambition of staying there.

We could go for the Europa and lose just as easily as the CL imo. So much is luck of the draw in both.

Dunno what to do tbh
    Last edited by Steveo; 9th October 2022 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I see where you and others are coming from. I just don't get a good feeling about that signing.
    Agree our squad isn't full of useless players but it is time for Klopp to start his second great side. This one has been relied on for too long, especially the bigger players.
    If he's backed he'll do it. It's upto FSG to go along with it.
    Second generation side, hmmm, in players something like, a team of fullbacks

Alisson*/Kelleher
    Gomez Philips Konate Robbo
    Trent Fab* Tsimi? Diaz
    Nunez Jota

Alisson & Fab old enough to be in the side for a while longer.
    Jones obviously hasn't played in an age, so him or Robbo or Tsimi to play midifled.

2 fullbacks in midfield with Fab & Tsimi 19
    A 3rd with trent in midfield on the right. And Gomez a 4th
    Robbo a 5th and Ramsay on the bench a 6th
    In reality we sign a midfielder.

Subs
    Ramsay, Jones, Elliot , Carvalho and maybe Tsimi

As deadwood and matured Wood moves on, players will come in. Failure to add in the summer.. got to adapt

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Klopp has stated many times that he doesn’t get the final say on signings. So he isn’t moving anyone on.

You know - just so we understand reality from fiction.

The buck stops with the owners and their complete downing of tools since we won number 6!

Investment has been pathetic for any club attempting to get into that bracket and certainly for one with any ambition of staying there.

We could go for the Europa and lose just as easily as the CL imo. So much is luck of the draw in both.

Dunno what to do tbh
    Well, we'd have a better chance of winning the Europa and we're not getting top four, no fucking way are we, they, FSG STILL need to get at least 2 high quality players in during January, because we need to make sure we win the Europa AND we of course need to build understanding etc for next season to hit the ground running
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Well, we'd have a better chance of winning the Europa and we're not getting top four, no fucking way are we, they, FSG STILL need to get at least 2 high quality players in during January, because we need to make sure we win the Europa AND we of course need to build understanding etc for next season to hit the ground running
    I think we need 3. Two mids and a forward. That's obviously not going to happen but right now that attack does not look to have enough goals in it, especially if our defence is going to keep shipping goals. Jota role in the side has changed a bit so he's not getting goals like before, Salah looks to have hit a rapid decline in his impact. Diaz is class but doesn't score enough.
    That leaves Darwin and Bobby. We need a new main man aswell as a couple of mids.
    Midfield has been the topic since the off but if we are being fair attack and defence take equal blame for this current predicament.

Good points tees.