Thread: Liverpool aim for Europa League glory through missing out on Champions League last 16

Liverpool aim for Europa League glory through missing out on Champions League last 16

I think that's our best plan for trying to compete for the players we desperately need next summer, I honestly do.

By not investing to improve while we were on top FSG have let numerous clubs aspiring to be in the Champions League in place of us steal an incredible amount of ground on our lads and on squad age, depth, quality and availability

With the players we have at our disposal and how much FSG have allowed a host of other clubs to close the gap on us in this respect, I think there is absolutely zero chance, even now, that we will finish top four this season, I think our best hope to stay competitive, IF FSG do belatedly decide to invest a lot more of the money we make in the playing staff, is to get ourselves knocked out of the Champions League and put into the Europa League and looking to win the Europa League, THAT, like it or not is our best chance of Champions League football next season and the most achievable with our limited squad and considering the strength of other sides squads who are better equipped to pick up easy points off the Premier League's lesser lights than our squad
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I asked this question in the op of the “overreaction” thread mate. Is it our only chance of Champions League football next season.

Excellent sides drop down from the Champion's League.

We could end up bumping into Inter or Barcelona or Tottenham - whoever - in the semi-final or worse, the Final. Iffy refereeing decision, a Trent mistake, a silly penalty and we could be busted - and would have expended a lot of energy via a rigorous European schedule to achieve nothing.

The Champion's League spots look daunting right now. We could soon find ourselves 13 points or so off them if results don't go out way, which is an incredibly troublesome thought.

I don't however think that losing games in the Champion's League group stage so we don't qualify for the last-16 is a good building block to get into a habit of winning games.

I'm mentally resigned to a loss against Man City. But can we get points against West Ham? Against Nottingham? Against Leeds?

We scored two goals away from Home against the League leaders from open play today. Means sweet f**k all because we ultimately lost - but if we can keep scoring goals, it's a start. We need to find a way to defend better - we have conceded first (and early) far too often this season.

Let's sort that out sharpish and go from there. Forget about the table for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I asked this question in the op of the “overreaction” thread mate. Is it our only chance of Champions League football next season.
    Oh sorry Miller I didn't read it yet, yes I think this is our best possible route to Champions League football next season, even now after just 8 games

Other sides who have continued to strengthen while we stood still or went backwards due to players ageing in midfield and attack are far better equipped to regularly pick up 3 points off lesser sides

Chelsea with Potter are a shoe in and will go from strength to strength and have a younger better squad and bigger squad than ours

Spurs are already 10 points ahead of us and we have a game in hand, they're also better equipped than we are to regularly get 3 points from lesser sides

We're already 14 points behind a much improved Arsenal team and squad with a game in hand, I don't see us making up 14 points on them, I thought we were better than them overall today and the game was ultimately decided by 2 wrong penalty calls and our own naivety in how we started and finished the first half, they now have players, with some strength in depth, to regularly beat sides outside the top six though

Hopefully we don't make champions league if we're not good enough and FSG won't put any money into us if we do make it (like normal) then what's the point? we ain't good enough so no point worrying about it and players all a year older...

Maybe then they'll sell up we're only making them money, sucess doesn't matter anymore

19x on the bright side at least henderson will stay with us longer as we go down the table he'll stay are level maybe milner can stay until he's 40 and Jones becomes are star player!
    Last edited by Kev0909; 9th October 2022 at 09:44 PM.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

It's the Liverpool Way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Hopefully we don't make champions league if we're not good enough and FSG won't put any money into us if we do make it (like normal) then what's the point? we ain't good enough so no point worrying about it and players all a year older...

Maybe then they'll sell up we're only making them money, sucess doesn't matter anymore

19x on the bright side at least henderson will stay with us longer as we go down the table he'll stay are level maybe milner can stay until he's 40 and Jones becomes are star player!
    What kind of outfit would actually buy the club at the price FSG would be asking? It could be grim.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    maybe milner can stay until he's 40 and Jones becomes are star player!
    Well either would still be more likely and a considerable improvement on right back Fabinho's poor impersonations of a No6, he's fucking shit mate, I swear you must see it but won't own up because of all the shite you've talked about Hendo a true legend and our best captain in my lifetime, I just figure you're like a Brexit voter who through all the shite you've talked and how desperately wrong your absolute garbage has been will never admit the truth being genuinely perfectly honest, we're supposed to be a pressing and counter pressing team, playing with a RB masquerading as a No6 who is absolutely fucking clueless at it - That's the truth of the matter, he is absolutely fucking clueless, he doesn't even know or recognise in a collective press who the player he is supposed to be well positioned to is, not an opinion, it's a fact, I see it every game, he's never anywhere fucking near mate and never has been