Page 1 of 27 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup

2022 World Cup

OK, anyone on here remotely interested in watching it?
    My only interest in it, is to see if Wales (where I live) manage to progress. Doubtful.
    Other than that I couldn't give a rats arse about it.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Nope.

As one of the older posters on here I can say that when i was a young sprout I used to like the world cup. I remember that incredible Brazil team, obviously the Maradona world cup as well.
    But in recent years I haven't been much bothered. If there is a massive game with something on it..Holland against Germany, Brazil against Argentina, then I can get engaged.
    Nowadays i can't enjoy it if there is all that 'footballs coming home' crap until england play someone decent and get knocked out.
    This year I will be rooting for senegal, Brazil and holland. I would love Sadio to lift the trophy as captain. Unlikely I know, but they have got a good team.
    I would like our brazilians to do well. Not clear if Bobby is going yet. (Although Neymar is such a bellend it is hard to enjoy him winning.)
    Virgil obviously has his mind totally on the world cup. I wouldn't mind him winning it. He has won everything else.

No.

As for our players hope they play well but get beat early in it so they get back here quicker and fingers crossed no injuries.

I have zero interest in it all I ever hope for is our players back in one piece.

Not interested... yet.

I get why people say they won't be watching but we'll be starved of football for a month with nothing to talk about on here unless Steveo keeps posting old Maradona videos or Alan Partridge's countdown to World Cup (is that really 28 years ago?!) That. Was. A. Goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    I get why people say they won't be watching but we'll be starved of football for a month with nothing to talk about on here
    Take yourself off into Nature. Immerse yourself.

You'd be amazed at what's out there. I was meant to be on a boat trip to one of the Scottish Islands tomorrow but the Captain has advised the return journey would be dangerous so that will have to happen another week.

Winter visitors will be arriving now, bit by bit. You might get lucky enough to see Fieldfare and Redwing which are both members of the Thrush family. A lot of them will fly in from Scandinavia - stunning birds both.

We're exceedingly lucky this year that some of the berry crop has failed in parts of Russia, so a brilliant Bird called a Waxwing is likely to be turning up throughout the UK to exploit our gardens. They love Rowan. This tends to occur once every 4-6 years and some have been spotted in Eastern England already. I've seen them before but they have escaped my Camera in my lifetime this far, so they're on my "attempt" list this year.

I often take the Camera out at weekends in the hope of birds of prey - fingers crossed I'll get something tomorrow. Sometimes in here for Saturdays you'll see me mention being "out in the sticks" or "up the Hills" in the odd thread. It's one of my main interests.

(I am self-aware enough to know that a lot of this stuff will be phenomenally boring for some, but the outdoors in your own company is a World of constant discovery and mental well-being so if sharing motivates even one of you to get a nice walk tomorrow, it's worth typing!)

Which scottish islands Sid? West or North?
    I once spent two weeks on Mull and Skye. No internet. By the end I didn't want to go online anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    As one of the older posters on here I can say that when i was a young sprout I used to like the world cup. I remember that incredible Brazil team, obviously the Maradona world cup as well.
    But in recent years I haven't been much bothered. If there is a massive game with something on it..Holland against Germany, Brazil against Argentina, then I can get engaged.
    Nowadays i can't enjoy it if there is all that 'footballs coming home' crap until england play someone decent and get knocked out.
    This year I will be rooting for senegal, Brazil and holland. I would love Sadio to lift the trophy as captain. Unlikely I know, but they have got a good team.
    I would like our brazilians to do well. Not clear if Bobby is going yet. (Although Neymar is such a bellend it is hard to enjoy him winning.)
    Virgil obviously has his mind totally on the world cup. I wouldn't mind him winning it. He has won everything else.
    Very similar to myself. Probably watch a handful of games.

Would love to see Senegal win it, that would be superb. Thereafter would rather see a European team NOT win it.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    Which scottish islands Sid? West or North?
    I once spent two weeks on Mull and Skye. No internet. By the end I didn't want to go online anymore.
    I want to do Mull at some point so badly for Short-Eared Owl.

I was meant to be heading to Islay - would have been a there and back in one day sort of trip.

I won't be and i will be hoping England get knocked out early. It's not the LFC VS England nonsense. I support England at most sports. Just not football. I can't do with the media the football officials and most of all the FA. bunch of hypocrites and corrupt.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century