Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Napoli (Champion's League, group stage, second game)

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Absolutely. I genuinely wouldn't change a thing but I've never thought we'd be long term. Always felt it would run out.
    Thing is, it can all change so incredibly quickly with the right signing, or signings.

Get a young lad like Kouadio Kone in (he's 21) and you add youth and energy. Lads like Morton and Bajcetic are already on the books who are young - so is Jones (focusing on age just now, know many feel he won't make it) and so is Elliott.

The midfield "bridge" signings (not 30+, not youth) that we have didn't work out - Ox and Keita. If we can get one guy in who is suitable and a top young talent, you're very quickly looking at improving the situation.

I don't want to fall down the trap of specific names, however for the sake of communicating an approximate age and approximate quality, I'll throw out two - De Jong (25) and Kone 21). It doesn't need to literally be those two, they're just examples.

Arthur has been unable to contribute, so if 4 depart at the end of the season (Milner, Arthur, Ox, Keita) and 2 came in (one in January, one in Summer) then the 4 you give minutes to could be the "De Jong" and the "Kone" with Bajcetic and Morton getting chances as well.

Henderson and Thiago would still contribute, but don't need to play 90 minutes all the time. The quality of the midfield improves and the average age comes way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Thing is, it can all change so incredibly quickly with the right signing, or signings.

Get a young lad like Kouadio Kone in (he's 21) and you add youth and energy. Lads like Morton and Bajcetic are already on the books who are young - so is Jones (focusing on age just now, know many feel he won't make it) and so is Elliott.

The midfield "bridge" signings (not 30+, not youth) that we have didn't work out - Ox and Keita. If we can get one guy in who is suitable and a top young talent, you're very quickly looking at improving the situation.

I don't want to fall down the trap of specific names, however for the sake of communicating an approximate age and approximate quality, I'll throw out two - De Jong (25) and Kone 21). It doesn't need to literally be those two, they're just examples.

Arthur has been unable to contribute, so if 4 depart at the end of the season (Milner, Arthur, Ox, Keita) and 2 came in (one in January, one in Summer) then the 4 you give minutes to could be the "De Jong" and the "Kone" with Bajcetic and Morton getting chances as well.

Henderson and Thiago would still contribute, but don't need to play 90 minutes all the time. The quality of the midfield improves and the average age comes way down.
    True. It was less than a year ago I said Utd were years behind us. They're not in reality, things can change very quickly with just a couple of signings.
    I hope we sort things out.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    True. It was less than a year ago I said Utd were years behind us. They're not in reality, things can change very quickly with just a couple of signings.
    I hope we sort things out.
    I don't think they've been particularly impressive as yet and if they have 2 or 3 poor results on the bounce and pick up 3 or 4 injuries their new found confidence will be severely tested

I think without our injuries and constantly having to chop and change and play tired players and understrength sides we'd still be far ahead of them, although Jurgen's fantasy that Elliott is somehow ready and a world beater has been as big a part of our issues as anything else the truth be told
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    League form is on exact par with Hodgson 2010/11
    p12 w4 d4 l4
    But Hodgson remained undefeated in Europe during his tenure.
    Jurgen must be aware of this and surely must not like to be in this bracket.
    Form is temporary

Alisson
    Trent Konate VVD Robbo
    Jones Hendo Thiago Carvalho
    Salah Nunez

Subs:
    Kelleher, Ramsay, Gomez, Tsimi,
    Milner, Fab, Bajcetic, Eliliot, Bobby
    Last edited by CCTV; 1st November 2022 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I don't think its running out. Apart from Salah our front line is young. Jota/Diaz and Nunez.
    Konata is young. Not sure on Gomez to be honest Hes not improving just getting worse. Trent has picked up a bit of late.
    I think it's evident to everyone it's the midfield that's the issue.
    We need a solid 3 not a bits and pieces. Eliott is forced to start.. he needs to come and run between the lines when teams tire. Lets hope we go back to 3 subs next season
    Agreed, we need two new midfielders really. Fab has been great for many years but looks knackered. Thiago can't play every game. Hendo ditto. That leaves us with very little.

Just looking up some stats (ages on the right):

26 Andrew Robertson 28
    3 Fabinho 28
    15 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain 28
    8 Naby Keïta 27
    21 Konstantinos Tsimikas 26
    29 Arthur Melo 26
    2 Joe Gomez 25
    23 Luis Diaz 25
    20 Diogo Jota 25
    62 Caoimhin Kelleher 23
    5 Ibrahim Konate 23
    66 Trent Alexander-Arnold 23
    27 Darwin Nunez 23
    17 Curtis Jones 21
    28 Fabio Carvalho 20
    19 Harvey Elliott 19

We've got about 10 good outfield players under 30 which isn't bad. I was surprised to see Keita's only 27. Seems like he's been around a long time and he looks older. Not that it matters...he's not going to affect things on the pitch :-)

I know Gomez hasn't been great of late but I'm counting him as good as I think he does a decent job at RB and really should be played there instead of Trent, moving Trent upfield ideally. If we could keep Konate fit and Matip comes back it'd be great to give VVD a prolonged break. As with many, he looks wrecked most of the time.
    From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend on reading it. Groucho Marx

Need to get some players to actually play some football in the middle so this guy can do more of this..

That's what gets teams on the back foot!

I think I read that Ramsay and Konate are both definitely going to start tonight.

Be good to finally see the lad. I guess
    the pressure is off as we have qualified but it is Napoli who are in hot form.

Let’s see how he copes

Don’t want him getting a heavy dose of the Khvicha Kvaratskhelia‘s on his debut.