Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2022/23

2022/23

So… thought I’d start a thread for discussion about how the season is looking going forward.

We have five league games until the real crunch fixture away at Newcastle (I have no idea where we fit the Chelsea away game in) and if we are to have a proper Klopp season, we could really do with winning all 5.

Brentford A
    Brighton A
    Chelsea H
    Wolves A
    Everton H

Ok tough call but they are all winnable games, despite our malfunctioning midfield. I would like to think, having scored 5 goals away to Villa and home to Leicester (sort of) without the services of Bobby, Jota, Diaz and Gakpo we should be able to outscore the opposition in all of those 5 upcoming fixtures.
    "I am the Normal One."

Could just link to other threads but a repeated summary will do, in no particular order

• no more Elliot@RCMin433, whatever he has, it ain't gelling at rcm in 433
    • Double pivot in CM 42X
    • Can't keep strategising on playing Fab, Thiago & Hendo with Elliot rotating in, it's madness
    • Fab out tonight, Hendo off his game, nothing to do
    • 42X - Salah & Nunez developing an understanding a positive, goal return needs bulking
    • Sign a centremid, kudos on Gapko apparently 👏
    • Sign a centremid, the same one as above, it bears repeating.
    • Botched a summer midfielder signing again - losing out on touchy, long term ambitions to add in midfield, get it done👍

1 game at a time, at the minute looking at 1 team seems less daunting

If we beat Real in the CL, we'll probably win it.
    If we don't top4 is our priority, though I think we were further behind the league leaders this time last year

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    if we are to have a proper Klopp season, we could really do with winning all 5.
    As optimistic as I am about improvement for our season going forward, I would be (very) pleasantly surprised if we win the next 5 - that would take us to 9 League wins on the spin and I don't foresee our performances meriting that at the moment. The midfield is disjointed, we have attacking lads out and we're adjusting to Núñez - shortly to be adjusting to Gakpo. Long winning streaks are a big ask unless it just magically clicks straight away - and who knows, maybe it will!

I look at that batch of 5 and think 3 wins, 1 draw and a loss is probably more realistic.

We were on 4 wins, 4 draws, 4 losses prior to winning the last 4 on the spin. Getting the 3/1/1 I alluded to above would take us to 38 points from 21 games - roughly on target for a 70-point season if duplicated in the second half of the season.

Generally speaking under Klopp our second half is better than our first, so if we are indeed sitting on 38 points in 5 matches time I'll be confident of finishing in the Top Four. I don't think we'll be pushing for a title challenge this time around as we would need three sides to falter whilst we find the best of ourselves. Content ourselves (this season, not indefinitely) with a Top Four finish for 22/23 and we will hopefully achieve our target. Tottenham, Chelsea and Man United won't let us have that spot without a fight so we will need to dig in at times and enjoy luck when it comes - those 3 points last night could be very significant come the end of the season.

Totally agree re the midfield, I’m just hoping Jurgen can shuffle the midfield pack til he comes up with something approaching a proper functioning midfield.

Our firepower may get us there but it’s a big ask for the forwards to pull us through with the midfield and defence so off it.

Echo Sid and Miller's points.
    It's a big ask but we are due a bit of luck after the first few months being devoid of it really aside from the Newcastle game. Injuries,decisions and sometimes our performance hasn't reaped what it deserved. That's not to say we haven't been well below standard because we have quite a lot.
    If a mid is brought in reasonably early it would be a big boost and would surely strengthen us.

Virgil needs Kanote to stay fit so we can get a solid back 4 .We need both cetrebacks to have pace especially with us playing such a high line and with both full backs who love to get forward.
    Big Joel looks good stepping up but he leaves a big gap at the back which teams can exploit.

Happened twice yesterday when Joel brought the ball out and gave it straight to a blue shirt, left us very exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Happened twice yesterday when Joel brought the ball out and gave it straight to a blue shirt, left us very exposed.
    Didn't help not having Fabinho in there to cover.
    As good as it looks him going on his runs ,I'd rather he stayed were he was and pass it to a forward thinking player. Of course there's times were no ones free but I think managers have cottoned onto that and are setting traps to get him out of position and hit us on the break.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Didn't help not having Fabinho in there to cover.
    As good as it looks him going on his runs ,I'd rather he stayed were he was and pass it to a forward thinking player. Of course there's times were no ones free but I think managers have cottoned onto that and are setting traps to get him out of position and hit us on the break.
    True. It worked well a lot last season but right now it leaves is vulnerable and needs to be curtailed by Klopp. We got lucky a few times last night with lazy wayward passing.
    Nothing boils my piss more than players giving the ball away when under no pressure. Our playing around at the back is heart in mouth stuff at the moment, we look ripe for a mistake.