Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Year Weekend Games

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Chelsea are as bad as spurs at the moment. Suddenly things look quite a bit more positive if this stays as it is.
    It's fantastic just now.

If things stay as they are then it looks like it might - MIGHT mind you - be a case of us, Newcastle and Man United competing for two Champion's League spots - assuming that is that Brighton slip off (no guarantee) and that Arsenal and Man City are finishing in the top two spots - in no particular order.

Those Chelsea and Tottenham results are very welcome right now. Beating Brentford (can we?) would be a huge result, as we would have 12(?) days before our next League game, so just a case of picking who to put out for the Cup match.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    It's fantastic just now.

If things stay as they are then it looks like it might - MIGHT mind you - be a case of us, Newcastle and Man United competing for two Champion's League spots - assuming that is that Brighton slip off (no guarantee) and that Arsenal and Man City are finishing in the top two spots - in no particular order.

Those Chelsea and Tottenham results are very welcome right now. Beating Brentford (can we?) would be a huge result, as we would have 12(?) days before our next League game, so just a case of picking who to put out for the Cup match.

I'm willing to put money down now and wager that one of them two will drop off a bit and be drawn into a 2nd/3rd/4th place battle with us, the Scum and Newcastle.

The Gooners are riding high now but the jury's still out on whether they can maintain this momentum and keep their seemingly great winning streak going combined with their low injury list.

We know that City have that second half of the season momentum run in them - we've been at the business end of getting beaten by it to the title over the past couple of seasons. But even they've looked shaky in these past couple of games, and it's just a question of whether it's a post-break post-World Cup blip before they get back to business and get on a roll again, or if it's the start of a major wobble.
    (Haaland is on fire, so there's a good bet they will - his health holding up, that is)

Arsenal haven't really been tested at this end of the season and they've yet to even play City at all, but credit where it's due, they've put themselves exactly where you need to be to make that title run - it's just a question of, can they finish the job.

Point of note:
    Over the past 5 seasons we've been up on City after the Christmas break by as much as 7 points, and still lost the title to them when the season ended.
    We've also been as much as 14 points behind them at the Christmas break* and still ended the season (last season) just an Anfield goal against Spurs from stealing the title from them.

Nothing's decided in December or January and if there's any two clubs that really know that at this stage, it's ourselves and City.

Let's just quietly handle our own business and see where the table has us at by the time Champions League football returns in February. Today's results were no doubt fantastic for us. Chelsea seem to have taken themselves completely out of contention for everything, and while the Spuds aren't out of the picture yet, they seem to be driving themselves that way too.

If you'd have told any of us just two months ago that we'd be entering the New Year just a point out of Champion's league places (if we win our game in hand against Spurs), and just barely 5 points behind City, no one would have believe you.

(*granted that was with two games in hand.
    But you still have to win those otherwise they mean nothing)
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Let's hope Crimson.

Newcastle to play Arsenal, Spurs to play Palace and Chelsea to play Man City.

Getting that win against Brentford could get us very, very close to those Champion's League spots.

Let's hope Crimson.

Getting that win against Brentford could get us very, very close to those Champion's League spots.
    We'll get the top4 spot, don't worry.

saying this before yesterday other teams aren't exactly consistent only Arsenal and somewhat city.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Let's hope Crimson.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh
    Well it would have done. Hence "could" - never any guarantee and I never presumed we would win. Someone called 5 wins from 5 for the upcoming cluster of games and I said we'd get a loss - now we have.

If it's my fault the lads were shite or that Jürgen picks Elliott for a midfield spot against such a tall and physical side then we really ARE in trouble.

The repeated selection of Harvey Elliott is absolutely baffling

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    We'll get the top4 spot, don't worry.
    If Man United win their match then we are 7 points behind them, potentially making Newcastle the "target" to try and reel in.

We need Gakpo in quickly and need Firmino, Diaz, Jota back from injury. If we are within touching distance when Jota comes back in I will be a bit more confident but we need to weather January and February first. I wouldn't say I am "panicking" yet as it's a long season, but we can't lose any of our next 2-3 League games if we want to keep pace.

If Man United win their match then we are 7 points behind them, potentially making Newcastle the "target" to try and reel in.

We need Gakpo in quickly and need Firmino, Diaz, Jota back from injury. If we are within touching distance when Jota comes back in I will be a bit more confident but we need to weather January and February first. I wouldn't say I am "panicking" yet as it's a long season, but we can't lose any of our next 2-3 League games if we want to keep pace.
    I was thinking during the game tonight that every one feels like we have to win. There's no room for errors because we've made too many upto this point.
    I don't see us making it at all. A rotten season that's been of our own making for large parts.
    There's some who simply need to take ownership and get back to their level. The likes of Virgil,Trent,
    and Fabinho are not old, they've simply got complacent in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    The repeated selection of Harvey Elliott is absolutely baffling
    That "dummy" in tonight's game. Jesus Christ.