Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Conceding goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurthers View Post
    Pretty much. But even if we did we'll still struggle to catch up as we can't seem to break teams down. Kind if toothless. Maybe Gakpo will help to solve that issue.
    Yep - there are things we can do (until new mids come in, which we do need) - one of those is having an actual threat from the left so Salah isn't crowded out on the right. Another is setting the midfield up differently - whether that is a formation change with Bajcetic and Fabinho "sitting" or the usual set-up of a three being told not to go as high/wide or deploying a deeper back line etc - there are always tweaks to try.

I do hope Gakpo poses a threat - Salah is so often crowded out at present.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    For me in Klopps 433,
    Gini was our more advanced midfielder on the left. This left Hendo deeper on our right with Fab as I saw it.
    This staggering, suited the side. It covers Salah more advanced on the right as he scores, it gives Trent and our rcb more protection.
    With Hendo rcm more like an anchor in terms of duties, we are much better off imo.
    Our left side is much stronger defensively, and our lwf will play deeper than Salah on average. True of Mane/Diaz/Jota
    Gini was/is a more natural 10 than Hendo or Thiago imo, and not the most gifted 10 himself.

Whereas in a post Gini era I see Hendo playing most advanced when in a 3 on our right.
    Thiago routinely playing deeper on our left side alongside Fab.
    Instead of Hendo being deeper covering Trent & Matip, leading in the engine room.
    Thiago is there on the left to offer a buffer to Virgil & Robbo in defense.

Last night this pattern was magnified with Milner sitting deeper on the left ahead of Robbo & VVD, alongside Fab.
    Elliot more advanced on the right of midfield ahead of Nat & Trent.
    Under my viewpoint, that midfield 3 should have been Milner right side like an anchor, Elliot attacking on the left side of midfield more advanced.
    This way Virgil, Robbo & Diaz give Elliot the license, and he add some flair/support to the lefts sides attack.
    The right side benefits from Milners defensive nous and experience.

Iirc in the CL final and maybe the opener v Fulham, Hendos not or very late into frame for goals conceded.
    Taking 19s best 6 and not having him in frame defending those goals... Disgraceful
    Messing up our right side defensively, which could do with our captain playing deeper.

For me our best 11 all fit, on paper.... and with some consideration of players who stay fitter over quality...
    Thiago loses out folks, but all fit he's playing routinely for Hendo/Fab.

Klopps 433
    Alisson
    Trent Matip Virgil Robbo
    Hendo Fab Diaz
    Salah Nunez Jota

Diaz at lcm I'd argue is very Coutinho like in ways, but more explosive in terms of pace and power, even if less pretty on the eye.
    A more dogged player and defender than Phil, who thrived at Porto playing deeper on the left of a 4 man midfield in 442 for example.
    He would offer a direct goal threat from midfield and he drives & dribbles with the ball aggressively. Opening up space.
    There's no confusion about Henos role in this 3 as I see it. Diaz is not sitting back with Fab to let hendo be most advanced on the right.

Jota at Lwf last season had better goals/minute,
    And goals or assists per minute stats, than both Diaz & Mane at lwf.
    Mane outperformed him at CF but Jota was decent there too.
    Jota works hard and presses well, gets goals and assists.
    Left foot, right foot and headed goals.
    Jotas played mostly as a left wing forward, Centreforward and Secondary striker.

Obviously over a season you have to adapt, deal with injuries, but I'd like to see the midfield and shape better set in 433. The left sided midfielder with the license to push forward. The right side anchoring the team.

Last edited by CCTV; 17th August 2022 at 12:55 AM.
    I'd rather we were playing a 42X setup. 442/4231.

But this post was my assessment from August and going back into last year. Sticking with 433 as Klopp does...
    Elliot started at rcm - after starting in our draw v Palace - and we lost to united

After Leicester both Hendo & Elliot needed the bench. Elliot retained his starting berth at rcm over Keita & Jones who came on as subs.
    Whilst Carvalho a better attacking mid, and Bajcetic a better looking fit for our rcm also sat on the bench.
    That's 4 players.

All fit we have a solid 18 man squad, capable of rotating in 442/4231

1 of Alisson/Kelleher
    4 of Trent/Gomez Matip/Konate/VVD Robbo/Tsimi
    2 of Hendo/Fab/Thiago
    4 of Salah Firmino Jota Nunez Diaz Gapko

Our depth
    Gk Adrian
    Defense Ramsay Phillips
    Defensive mids Milner Bajcetic Melo
    6 bodies

Cm Keita Jones Ox
    Attackers Elliot Carvalho
    5 bodies

29 man squad

In 433 you start

3 of Hendo/Fab/Thiago
    3 of Salah Firmino Jota Nunez Diaz Gapko

With a near full strength squad we could easily see Elliot starting at rcm with just one of Fab/Thiago/Hendon out...
    And....
    3 of Salah Firmino Nunez Diaz Jota Gapko sat on the bench

That's a mad strategy !!

At times too much read into formations.
    The midfield is the essential problem.
    Look at united they had fred and mctominay with pogba. Fernandes sulking as Ronaldo was main man.

Now with just the addition of Casemiro a big difference.

2 new midfielders at least must be joining soon.

They didn’t just do that though did they, they got what looks like a genuine manager in place. A world of difference from the situation of flux - Ole - then Rangnick as interim boss.

They always had a good squad of players regardless of what the experts on here think.