Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Conceding goals.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Liverpool have conceded 51 big chances this season, according to Opta. That is more than twice as many as the five teams above them in the Premier League table. Massive issue.
    Not surprising when witnessing the ease at which average teams have been running through our midfield all season. I remember when he was at United Mourinho once said after a loss to us that our midfield bullied them and were the perfect blend of physicality and technical ability. We're just such a soft touch these days

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    We're just such a soft touch these days
    We are, but we are also deploying our midfield 8s higher and wider than we need to at times.

Wonder if we could consider sticking Bajcetic and Fabinho in the same side and encouraging them to "sit" a bit.

I feel like anyone is better than Elliott so why not try Bajcetic. The blind spot Klopp has for Elliott is perplexing to say the least

It's alarming that so many are having a pop at Elliott. Despite not being great..he has been one of our best midfield performers - certainly relative to age and experience - in a season of poor midfield performances. He is so young and HE is the one being played out of position so often. Trent has been a joke all season...bar the odd great pass he has been woeful. Virgil was bang average all season pre World Cup - Hendo has been ok at best - ditto Thiago - ok fab has been miles off it.. Then we have the front line. Salah hasn't been close to his best Nunez a new player learning the game in England - Diaz looked wasted from the start of the season after such an increase in intensity after last seasons switch.. Fact is - that we have Alisson...and Bobby's relatively better form this early season to thank for us not being in the relegation zone. We won by a single goal in a game where we scored zero and the opposition'scored all 3. Most of the players are shot through after last term...

If people think Elliott is the problem.. they are simply not watching

Elliot has been in the team most games. offered what 1 goal and no assists in 15/16 games?? All he does is slow the play down. And often plays the ball across and loses it. You do not need 3 players on the right hand side.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Agree he hasn’t been great by any stretch - but he has been involved in many goals. It’s true NOT so many direct assists - a stat which is so open to interpretation, but he has been instrumental in most of our good attacking play. That’s why Klopp persists. For his age and considering the struggles so many senior players have had - I think he is getting too much stick. Just my opinion and I know it’s in the minority but there it is

Surely we can all see - Elliott is not the main problem. Replace him and we are good to go… It’s far far bigger.
    Last edited by Steveo; 3rd January 2023 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Agree he hasn’t been great by any stretch - but he has been involved in many goals. It’s true NOT so many direct assists - a stat which is so open to interpretation, but he has been instrumental in most of our good attacking play. That’s why Klopp persists. For his age and considering the struggles so many senior players have had - I think he is getting too much stick. Just my opinion and I know it’s in the minority but there it is

Surely we can all see - Elliott is not the main problem. Replace him and we are good to go… It’s far far bigger.
    Agree 100%.

But Klopp is doing him no favours by playing him midfield. I'd like to see what he could do on the left wing.

One high energy destroyer and a midfielder who will protect the back four will make a big difference.

We've evolved the squad pretty well in all positions other than the midfield. Surely, surely we'll get at least one in Jan and another in the summer?

New 8
    New 6
    Thiago
    Hendo
    Bajetic
    Jones

I'd move Fab on. Ox, Naby and Milner all gone in the summer.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Yep..

Bajčetić that’s ‘Bye-Che-Titch’ in Serbian - will imo be off to Spain soon after showing any seniority. Not sure how good his contract is.

We will try to cash in on him but not sure it will be easy.

We need 3 quality midfield additions. Especially if Fab goes too.

Elliott is a tidy player but he is far too lightweight to play in midfield. He's a wide forward and should only be used as such.

I'd keep Fab and bring in 2 midfielders, one now and one in the summer would be a big help. Fabinho Hendo and Thiago are all still good players but as a collective they don't have the stamina any more and shouldn't be relied upon to start the majority of games.

Harvey is a easy target, but the biggest problem is the form of Virgil this season. We put it down to not getting injured for his last world cup. But let's be honest, he's been awful and can't seem to organise a back line.