Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Squad construction - and the future.

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Keita Adrian Bobby Arthur 2023
    Thiago Matip 2024

If resale I'd cash in on Thiago too.

Real revolution x5 new foreign players possible.
    Yeah I'd be very happy for us to start really going for the next phase in a big way following the above. I think Thiago could end up with an extension mind.

Only 4 players left from the whole squad, since Jurgen took over.
    Only 1 player was in the squad v spurs.

2019-2020
    20 of the players are still at the club.

Excluding the youngsters played in the cup ,
    Not much has changed .
    Konaté, Thiago , Tsimikas.

Then obviously Jota , Diaz , Gakpo.
    And Carvalho.

20 + these 7.

From 2018 klopp pieced together very quickly an amazing squad.
    Now he needs to create a brand new team and identity.

The midfield must see 3 new players of the 22 to 26yo , CL and international experience.
    If not fsg will happily go with Bajcetic, Elliott and Morton.
    Neves or Nunes.
    Tielemanns
    Madisson
    Mac lister
    (Spelling it's late)

A centre back
    And forward.

I really hope they have already put in place an action plan for the summer.
    5 new players will be a huge change.

It should happen with Keita, oxlade, Milner, Adrian, Bobby all going.
    Maybe Matip and Thiago too.

Hoping for Morton, Conor Bradley to come in too.

Doak, Bobby Clark, Musialowski, Blair decent loans.

We could have got well shut of Thiago and Fabinho in January and made room without weakening ourselves, Thiago has been a disastrous signing and a major cause of our current issues, Fabinho should have gone in summer 2020 after the team evolved to play to levels and in a way he didn't have the attributes to facilitate
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Appreciate the contribution dicko.

I could foresee younger mids coming in and I'd welcome it. As much as it's normal to want to have the "bridge" players between the old and the young (Ox and Keita were meant to be this for our midfield and sadly haven't worked out) I would be very happy to have a whole heap of youngsters in rotation and competition.

I'd love Kouadio Kone and Khéphren Thuram to come to the club to join the likes of Elliott, Morton, Bajcetic, Carvalho. Start building the future.

I thought this was going to be a thread about how on earth we're supposed to try and construct a team/squad with no model or system to recruit to

We had that when Jurgen first arrived, but he's since undone all that, to a point it seems apparent he no longer sees how he can turn it around

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Appreciate the contribution dicko.

I could foresee younger mids coming in and I'd welcome it. As much as it's normal to want to have the "bridge" players between the old and the young (Ox and Keita were meant to be this for our midfield and sadly haven't worked out) I would be very happy to have a whole heap of youngsters in rotation and competition.

I'd love Kouadio Kone and Khéphren Thuram to come to the club to join the likes of Elliott, Morton, Bajcetic, Carvalho. Start building the future.
    What's the system? Arsenal and even moreso the filthy are simply copying our model Jurgen ditched pretty much and look where they are and we are now

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    In need of a semi-coherent ramble and gathering of thoughts. Probably a bad time to do it (after a win would be better) but it is what it is.

I did a recent post in the General transfer thread that underlined our options and did so with a view to explaining that foreign players couldn't arrive (in January) without sales. But it will serve as a decent template for what we have. It's not intended as a "list the players you want to arrive" thread or bemoan spending issues, but moreso to highlight areas where things could be better and the areas that may bode well for the future.

THE SQUAD

Max squad size of 25.

Premier League rule - At least 8 players must be homegrown (a player of any nationality that has spent at least three seasons training at a professional English or Welsh club before the age of 21). U21 players do not count towards the total. For the 23/24 season, that will be players born on or after January 1st of 2002.

UEFA rule - At least 8 players must be homegrown (trained by their club or by another club in the same national association for at least three years between the ages of 15 and 21). At least 4 of those must be homegrown by Liverpool FC.

Foreign players (max. 17) -

1. Alisson
    2. Tsimikas
    3. Fabinho
    4. van Dijk
    5. Konate
    6. Thiago (contract expires at end of 23/24)
    7. Núñez
    8. Keita (expected to leave in Summer)
    9. Firmino contract expires in Summer)
    10. Jota
    11. Salah
    12. Matip (contract expires at end of 23/24)
    13. Adrian (expected to leave in Summer)
    14. Diaz
    15. Arthur (expected to leave in Summer)
    16. Robertson
    17. Gakpo
    #Special case# - Ramsay does not require registration for Premier League but counts as a foreign player in any UEFA competition.

Home-grown -

1. Jones
    2. Kelleher (possibly leaving?)
    3. Ox (expected to leave in Summer)
    4. Henderson
    5. Gomez
    6. Alexander-Arnold
    7. Milner (expected to leave in Summer)
    8. Phillips

Notable players -

Carvalho does not require registration for Premier League but counts as homegrown (FA) in UEFA competition.
    Elliott does not require registration for Premier League but will counts as homegrown (LFC) in UEFA competition.
    Morton does not require registration for Premier League but counts as homegrown (LFC) in UEFA competition.
    Bajcetic does not require registration for Premier League but counts as a foreign player in UEFA competition.

So with 3 foreign players expected to leave (4 if Firmino doesn't renew), and Ramsay to take one of those spots, that leaves us with space for a maximum of 2 (or 3, if Firmino leaves) foreign players that can come in during the Summer - unless of course there are sales.

Possible foreign departures and where their registration spaces may go -

Keita - Ramsay could take his space.
    Adrian - new foreign signing or homegrown player.
    Arthur - new foreign signing or homegrown player.
    Firmino - new foreign signing or homegrown player.

Possible homegrown departures -

Milner - need a homegrown player to replace.
    Ox - need a homegrown player to replace.
    Kelleher - need a homegrown player to replace.

If the situation arose where Bellingham actually joined (may as well address it) ? -

Jude Bellingham would not require registration for the Premier League but would count as a foreign player in UEFA competition for the 23/24 season. If we sign him between now and the summer, then he would be re-classed as homegrown in UEFA comps for the 24/25 season onwards.

MIDFIELD WAGE BILL AND VALUE

You find conflicting reports on the internet, but from what I can gather -

Thiago is on £200k-per-week.
    Henderson is £190k-per-week.
    Fabinho is on £180k-per-week.
    Keita is on £120k-per-week.
    Ox is on £120k-per-week.

All of these most senior of Liverpool's professional midfielders have been subject to scrutiny in varying degrees this season (Thiago probably seen the most favourably right now) and a whopping£810,000 per week is being spent on them - and that's before we mention Milner, who I think everyone appreciates - even if they recognise he shouldn't play here forever.

It makes it all the more confusing that there was talk of trying to extend Keita's contract. There are definite opportunities to free up money via the wage bill if we allow players to go in the Summer. Ox, Keita and Milner are all for expiry and we should be letting at least two of them depart. The club may entertain trying to sell Fabinho to a Serie A club as an option - we may not get a huge fee, but that wage packet is considerable and (currently) isn't merited.

AGE PROFILE AND THE FUTURE

We actually have a surprising number of players that are of the age of 26 or younger at the moment, which is encouraging. Here is a list of them -

Tsimikas (26)
    Konate (23)
    Núñez (23)
    Jota (26)
    Diaz (26)
    Gakpo (23)
    Ramsay (19)
    Jones (21)
    Kelleher (24)
    Gomez (25)
    Alexander-Arnold (24)
    Phillips (25)
    Carvalho
    Elliott (19)
    Morton (20)
    Bajcetic (18)
    van den Berg (21)

RESET?

Let's not forget that Klopp inherited a bit of a mish-mash of a squad, yet we managed to do quite a bit just by getting a signing or two right and then building upon it. Whilst some degree of clear-out is needed, I don't think we need necessarily be in the pits of despair. Injuries are certainly a big factor, but the Ashes of Klopp's first cycle could yet fertilise the soil of what is to come. We won't see it this season, but I don't yet see 23/24 and 24/25 as needing to be written off - some of this crop of lads will improve and whilst we may not spend as much as some would like, the £120m or so in the last calendar year on Diaz, Gakpo and Núñez shows we aren't in the position Rafa was when given a transfer budget of £3.5m.

I think the take-away is that while we aren't anything like what we were, there are good players here and if we find anything resembling rhythm or form (sooner or later) we can still get a good tune out of this squad.
    At least 4 of those must be homegrown by Liverpool FC:
    Any 4 of Trent, Elliot, Jones, Kelleher, Philips, Gomez

Then Henderson & Carvalho to make up the homegrown 8.

1. Alisson
    2. Tsimikas
    3. Fabinho
    4. van Dijk
    5. Konate
    6. Thiago (contract expires at end of 23/24)
    7. Núñez
    8. Firmino ?
    9. Jota
    10. Salah
    11. Matip (contract expires at end of 23/24)
    12. Diaz
    13. Robertson
    14. Gakpo

Keita, Ox, Melo and Adrian leaving for me. Miller who knows.

Space for 3 foreigners,
    and scope to sign from the PL for homegrown qualifying players.
    That's 4-5 signings.

I'll put Firmino in my squad and leave out Milner. Seems Bobby might extend. Suppose Milner could, but we have a few youth players in our squad if needs be.

2 goalkeepers Alisson/Kelleher - done - 3rd Keeper from the youth setup if needed.

9 defenders:
    Trent/Ramsay*
    Gomez Matip Philips VVD Konate
    Robbo/Tsimi

6 midfielders
    Hendo Fab Thiago Bajcetic* Carvalho* Jones

7 attackers
    Salah Elliot* Fimino? Nunez Jota Gapko Diaz

Thats the bones of a 24 man squad with 4* b-list candidates.
    Even if Milner stays on,
    There's room for 3 foreign senior players, and a homegrown senior player.
    4 first team signings minimum.

Can't see Klopp gutting the squad entirely like say 19, or maybe even steveo and others would.
    Think the above I've given is a reasonable listing of our squad for next season.
    Melo, Ox, Keita and Adrian leaving. Milner could leave also.
    4 first team additions, maybe a fifth if someone else leaves.

If Phillips, Jones and Gomez weren't 'homegrown ' they'd be long gone.

Keita Phillips and Matip won't feature next season. Has there ever been a bigger reconstruction job than next summer

Reading an article earlier re where we are buying from in recent years compared to initially under Klopp. Valid points re successful signings coming from the Prem or of players with Premier League experience.

“But where it differs is to how Liverpool initially bolstered their squad under Jurgen Klopp. Sadio Mane, Gini Wijnaldum, Mohamed Salah, Andy Robertson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Virgil van Dijk all became integral team members having already accrued hundreds of Premier League appearances between them.”

Alisson an obvious exception but then the pace of the game doesn’t really affect keepers too much.
    Hendo was already here and Trent came through the ranks. Most players signed without Prem experience find the difference from what they are used to a real shock and there is absolutely no guarantee they will be able to adapt.