Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Squad construction - and the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    What's the system? Arsenal and even moreso the filthy are simply copying our model Jurgen ditched pretty much and look where they are and we are now
    Hard to know really. We may well try to get younger lads in who have the legs to do something akin to our previous set-up or we may try to find a new methodology for a while.

When we counter-pressed and counter-attacked teams couldn't live with us. Then they started to sit off and we went for a more possession-based approach against sides that absorbed pressure.

With the attack having had younger recruits of late I wonder if we may look at conceding some possession, lowering our block further and absorbing pressure with a view to springing counter-attacks?

Hard to know what Klopp's going to go for as we are in uncharted waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Hard to know really. We may well try to get younger lads in who have the legs to do something akin to our previous set-up or we may try to find a new methodology for a while.

When we counter-pressed and counter-attacked teams couldn't live with us. Then they started to sit off and we went for a more possession-based approach against sides that absorbed pressure.

With the attack having had younger recruits of late I wonder if we may look at conceding some possession, lowering our block further and absorbing pressure with a view to springing counter-attacks?

Hard to know what Klopp's going to go for as we are in uncharted waters.
    I think it's obvious Klopp would be after what miller is on about. Proven players. Most often with Premier league experience. This league IS different and it take a while to adjust, many like Keita - just can't take the pace..

Ready made players NOT young prospects. Elliott and Carvalho are absolutely fine and dandy BUT they need to be in the squad working to force through NOT brought in as intended first team options.

Almost 5 years and ONLY Thiago (almost 30 at the time) brought in while we lost Gini.. As Carra also alluded - where are the legs? Plenty of experience with tired legs and plenty of youth keen to run - but nothing prime... that isn't good enough

Criminal
    Last edited by Steveo; 7th February 2023 at 12:36 PM.

On the Miller list , Salah ?
    How many games did he play in the EPL.
    But yes mostly a valid point.

But what about Firmino, Konate.

I suppose Fabinho, Thiago, Matip, Coutinho, now Gakpo and Darwin are in an adaptation phase.

Time to adapt to a faster and more physical game.

End to end . Relentless.

(When will Gomez adapt , i suppose he came from Charlton.)

Firmino took a long time to settle to be fair and Konate has said recently it’s been quite a shock to the system playing in England. He’s also had several injuries from playing in our league too.

Yep.. It's a rough and tumble league. So many players with more than enough talent have struggled with the physicality.

Bobby came in as a senior member of the squad - a Brazil international and someone with some of the highest assist stats in the Bundesliga..really got going ONCE he had quality players around him to work with. Salah and Mane in particular, but for a while Lallana was superb too. Klopp's system broke him down physically I believe.

Konate came in a year too late as an under 21. Only got his first Senior cap in June. Deschamps showing a reluctance to field him during the world cup even with key injuries to his defence. He has huge potential but it is still potential.

We needed players at the Mane - Salah - Virgil - Alisson Fabinho level.. consistently at least 1 addition every year.

The midfield has been totally ignored.

i always say it the midfield is the most important part of a team..Not just a new thing.. I think once we get back to 3 solid midfielders and back to 3 subs. teams will go back to sitting in against us.. and dropping off. That will help Gakpo, if he ends up being a replacement for Firmino.. right now we are back to front and theres no control. Hopefully with 3 strong midfielders
    That will allow TAA to get more forward like he use to and get crosses in from further forward. That'll allow the likes of Nunez to get into the box from the left.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Have you read what Klopps said about Fabinho?
    Basically says he's out of form and he knows it but he's confident he can get back to his previous level.
    I'm not sure like.

To be fair to Fabinho he had to play a lot last season..a long with Henderson and Thiago. they had no other replacements. Not easy to start again after 2/3 months. Hes just in bad form. hes not the only 1.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Has Keita ever adapted ?
    I can only think of a game v Bournemouth that he played well.
    £52m + £30m salary = £82m
    Really awful
    And no resale for a 27yo (supposedly)

That as cctv would say "bad business "
    Awful transfer.
    Most be the worst in the last decade.
    No value whatsoever.

At least Gomez was only a fiver and reasonably waged.

Did the fast improving aquilani ever forfil his promise.
    Oh another too Arthur Melo

The football World is madness business.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Have you read what Klopps said about Fabinho?
    Basically says he's out of form and he knows it but he's confident he can get back to his previous level.
    I'm not sure like.
    I doubt the new baby is helping any.

I know he has been out-of-form for a while but we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes - wife could have had difficult trimesters for example and he might have been wrecking his head about her the last few months, negatively effecting sleep etc etc

That doesn't cover all of his periods of not being at his best or some of his decision-making during his time year, just making the point that we never know what folks are dealing with.