Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Real Madrid (Champion's League Last-16, First Leg)

He's defo on the slide. I don't see him regaining form. Worry is he gets retained out of sentiment like some of the other Deadwood's

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    He's defo on the slide. I don't see him regaining form. Worry is he gets retained out of sentiment like some of the other Deadwood's
    I'm still conscious of the new baby before I mentally consign him to scrap heap. One of my favourite people in my personal life has a new son and the parents are absolutely mentally floored - so many things can be a mental drain with babies - health complications, or even catastrophism when nothing is actually wrong can keep people "on edge" for weeks on end.

It's hard to know how little (or how big) an impact it is having. Ideally the right acquisitions and continued improvement of Bajcetic mean that he finds his way down the pecking order next season, by which time he hopefully rediscovers something of himself and can contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I'm still conscious of the new baby before I mentally consign him to scrap heap. One of my favourite people in my personal life has a new son and the parents are absolutely mentally floored - so many things can be a mental drain with babies - health complications, or even catastrophism when nothing is actually wrong can keep people "on edge" for weeks on end.

It's hard to know how little (or how big) an impact it is having. Ideally the right acquisitions and continued improvement of Bajcetic mean that he finds his way down the pecking order next season, by which time he hopefully rediscovers something of himself and can contribute.
    I'm probably being very harsh. He's not the only player to be a parent to a young baby though ( which also sounds harsh).
    He does seem to be it biggest issue in midfield though, his passing,positioning are poor right now. He's not alone it has to be said, I think the whole midfield was poor tonight and got totally outworked by Newcastle's, even when Joelinton went off they were still poor. Our ball retention in that second half was non existent.
    At one point tonight he was running into the oppositions box, I just thought wtf are you doing there? A supposed DM, it's the last place I'd expect him to be.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I'm probably being very harsh. He's not the only player to be a parent to a young baby though ( which also sounds harsh).
    He does seem to be it biggest issue in midfield though, his passing,positioning are poor right now. He's not alone it has to be said, I think the whole midfield was poor tonight and got totally outworked by Newcastle's, even when Joelinton went off they were still poor. Our ball retention in that second half was non existent.
    At one point tonight he was running into the oppositions box, I just thought wtf are you doing there? A supposed DM, it's the last place I'd expect him to be.
    He's way off his best - way off.

I think criticism is certainly merited, so by all means do. I personally am just in the camp of seeing if he can work his way out of this before considering, say, putting him up for sale. I still think he can contribute for us.

You'd certainly rather have him as depth/cover than a player like Ox for example, especially if he starts to get some of his "mojo" back - so I say let's give him the chance to do so until he starts to show signs that he will never recover. If he can give 7/10 performances more often than not he is still useful - even if he is no longer an automatic starter.

Regards the baby - you're right, he isn't alone - so many players have faced these circumstances. But without knowing him as a character or how deep the love for his wife is or what complications they may have had with labour or pregnancy or whatever....I'm struggling to articulate what I want to say but my point is that each individual couple is different.

One friend of mine had a very complicated birth (large baby, small "canal" if you will) that resulted in a long, long labour that nearly killed her. The bond that her and her fella have with each other and to that child (who is 10 now, time flies) is just off the charts. I can definitely picture those two getting about an hour's sleep a night on months on end due to how they're built, whereas another pal of mine and his partner are ridiculously laid back about eeeeeeveerything and if they ever conceive I could picture them sleeping like logs beside incidents of baby crying.

I don't know Fabinho and can't judge. Just want to see him do well really and hopefully he can turn things around for himself in the coming months. The squad generally looks like it has an insane amount of togetherness so if he needs "carried" a bit by some of the boys at times (on and off the pitch) I'm sure they'll be there for him.

Fab's just playing like he always has, the errors he's making are the same he has persistently made, the trick for us and even moreso for Jurgen the coaches and especially the fucking analysis team is to spot this shit, where and how we can improve when things are going well, not 2 and a half seasons on when those issues have contributed hugely to our devolution

Not recognising the incredible evolution in Fab's absence in 19-20 and that we couldn't play like that and evolve even further with Fab at No6 was the very first major fuck up that began the slippery slide to where we are now
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Fab has had a shocking season - however he shaded the Captain on the Toon. Everyone talking about Fab, both he and Hendo would have struggled to make the bench for any top 6 side since August. Yet both part of our supposed first choice 3!

Not even going to bother about Keita.

Elliott has shown he has some creativity in forward areas but he has the shortest arms and legs witnessed since Wilshere.

It’s a midfield that cannot control a game v 10 tired men. Thank the good lord Klopp bit the bullet and started deploying Stefan and also for returning forwards.

Thiago needs to get fit asap, and the front line could get back to scoring the goals needed to carry us past Real (it’s possible) and back up the table.

Tony Kroos and Touch Feely have not travelled with the Real Madrid squad.

Bonus. Benezema the blackmailing nonce is doubtful too.
    Time for some Mel Gibson on their ass. Payback.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Tony Kroos and Touch Feely have not travelled with the Real Madrid squad.
    Let's hope we don't drop Gerrard for this one!
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Whoscored expected 11s

Alisson
    Alexander-Arnold Gomez Van-Dijk Robertson
    Bajcetic Henderson Fabinho
    Salah Firmino Gapko
    v
    Courtois
    Carvajal Rüdiger Militão Alaba
    Kroos Camavinga Modric
    Valverde Benzema Júnior

Team News
    ▪︎ Darwin Nunez is a doubt after coming off with a shoulder injury against Newcastle. Roberto Firmino could come in as his replacement.
    ▪︎Luis Diaz and Arthur are still out with long term injuries.

▪︎Ferland Mendy is the only confirmed absence for Carlo Ancelotti's side, as he has been out with an injury since the end of January.
    ▪︎ Aurelien Tchouameni, Karim Benzema and Toni Kroos played no part in the 2-0 win over Osasuna on Saturday, and are doubts for the trip to Anfield. If fit, the latter two should start, but Rodrygo and Dani Ceballos could play in their place, like they did against Osasuna.

Prediction
    ▪︎Last season's finalists face off once again for the third season in a row, as Real Madrid travel to Anfield to face Liverpool. These two sides have 20 Champions League triumph's between them, and the Reds will be looking for revenge for their defeat at the end of last season.
    ▪︎Liverpool have bounced back from a poor run of form over the past week, beating rivals Everton and Newcastle by the same scoreline of 2-0. They could be without Darwin Nunez, the first goalscorer against Newcastle, through injury, meaning Roberto Firmino could play in his place.
    ▪︎Real Madrid actually picked up less points in the group stages than Liverpool, yet they topped their group while the Reds were pipped to top spot by Napoli. They come to Anfield having won their last two La Liga games. They have made the semi final stage in 10 of the last 12 seasons, but did exit at the Round of 16 stage twice since 2018, coming in the 2018/19 and 2019/20 seasons[/CENTER].

Liverpool 2-2 Real Madrid

---------------------

See some updates on injury doubts, any word on Darwiniest Nunez ?

Would like go to their with a win.. make it so Klopp&Co