Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Crystal Palace

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    I don't care

what's the point in even getting the 4th place cup

to get shat on again?

the new rangers?

Anyone but Hendo and Fabinho, they both can get shipped off to the north pole for a holiday until the summer

take gomez with em
    This kind of comment is hilarious. Sounds like the houllier days.

Because without CL and it's $, the likes of ox, Gomez, Curtis, keita, and a washed up hendo and fabinho is exactly the type of player we'll attract..at high wages too.

It will take another decade to be lucky enough to get a mix of cheap talent to get the '4th place cup' again.

I think we need to change the way we play, this gungho way of playing is not working as we don't have the legs anymore, and we need to go back to basics, whether Klopp will do that I doubt it, but if we don't do something different we won't get top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by trueandred View Post
    if we don't do something different we won't get top 4.
    We're not at all far off despite a largely really poor season so I don't foresee us changing an awful lot of what we do just now.

The hope of course is to attain 4th spot, invest in the necessary areas (midfielders with legs) and make tweaks to the system. I don't think the Blueprint needs to go entirely, but we will certainly need to modify bits and pieces.

Robertson will likely have a massive drop-off in a couple of years given the insane amount of running in his legs. So if we can find a way to incorporate our full-backs into play that is slightly less demanding of them I would certainly like to see that.

Tottenham play Chelsea this weekend and the Cheats are up against Saudi Arabia.

With luck one (or both) of those results go our way. If they do and we can find a win against Palace then we will be very close and can think about the next League game and so on.

I still think that if we get 9 points from our 4 upcoming games we'll be in 4th spot or within 1-3 points of it with 12 games to go.

We'll not be in any Cup competitions at that stage so can hopefully rest/rotate a little and with each passing match we get closer to returns for Diaz/Konate/Thiago and the fitness of Firmino and Jota will be growing to help rotate.

Fingers and toes tightly crossed for the weekend's footballing coins landing the right way up and go again - rinse, repeat.

Nick fourth, shift some lads, bring fresh faces in.

We can nick 4th IF the front line can stay fit. We have at least scored a few more goals in the last 3… 6 goals on the back of Nunez’s threat and running to open up more options for Mo and Gakpo. Most sides are shite scared of the lad. IF Diaz comes back even half the player… then we are on,

If Jota can get back onto the horse.. he looks miles off it right now..we can do it for certain / we have an array of talent there, it just needs to gel
    Last edited by Steveo; 23rd February 2023 at 02:14 PM.

I think we need to change the way we play, this gungho way of playing is not working as we don't have the legs anymore, and we need to go back to basics, whether Klopp will do that I doubt it, but if we don't do something different we won't get top 4.
    That's the sort of stuff you hear Allardyce, or Dyche or Moyes say when they take over a club. "We need to go back to basics" ie forget about actually playing football. Park the bus and lump it up the pitch. You're not going to get that from Klopp. Ever. I'm personally very thankful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by toshin View Post
    This kind of comment is hilarious. Sounds like the houllier days.

Because without CL and it's $, the likes of ox, Gomez, Curtis, keita, and a washed up hendo and fabinho is exactly the type of player we'll attract..at high wages too.

It will take another decade to be lucky enough to get a mix of cheap talent to get the '4th place cup' again.
    Well that's wrong, teams outside top 4 signing some big talents lately.....

now they're in top 4! or higher than us

So nope

it will be soon at this rate don't worry about that..

maybe if it's a club not owned by FSG.... others spend more and are above us now, what a surprise.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

I see mention of some relative bargains other teams availed of for what turned out it be top players. It's different when it's LFC making enquiries. I imagine the price goes up along either expected salary and agent fees.

To add to my reply to Tossin earlier....

Please note, pretty sure I could recall a few people on here taking the piss about 4th place "cup" a while ago, those was the days (a year or 2 ago) lool.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Football is a cycle.
    4 or 5 year cycle. Peaks and troughs.

Very rare you will have any team domination.

Recently however, if 1 team has as in the last decade with Psg , Man city , juventus, Bayern and the duopoly in Spain is a bit different to the other big 5 countries.

No club will ever stay dominant.
    Possibly the longevity of man u 20 years.
    Even they had to rebuild several times and not win.
    Arsenal now 15 years without a title.

Liverpool seem to be closest to that Arsenal period of greatness from around 1998 to 2005 (Vieira leaving).

Liverpool have now had 5 years of near dominance , although a duopoly of power with city.

As said Liverpool are in a rebuild phase, unless you have zillions it can't be done overnight.

Having said that , it is very frustrating because klopp evidently has key targets.
    Yet players signed like Carvalho, even the persistence in Gomez or Jones which fit homegrown are not his choices.
    Milner is his choice out of the desperate need of homegrown needs.

Klopp over the 7 years has his blueprint firmly in place.
    The next step will be a revamp of the midfield and tinkering with the defence.

Hugely successful over the last 5 years,now needs a bit of time to reshape a new team, new winners, new leaders.
    This will come in the next year or 2.

In football things can change so quickly.
    After 2 wins everyone was optimistic, then boom a hugely disappointing result and back to the gloom and dramatic comments.

I think it's the exact opposite, and bar another disaster class evening from Gomez and Fabinho v Real, I think we likely win that game, they didn't outclass us, outplay us, we gifted them all 5 goals, all 5

Our problems, as usual after storming to a 2 goal lead started when we STOPPED being direct and attacking and started trying to be cute and thinking we could engage Real at their own game

Trent's delivery and passing was brilliant again, because the runs were there for him to hit except for from Nunez at LFWD

Virgil hit a couple of his trademark passes to find Mo when they were trying to press us

Hendo slipped Mo in with a ball through the channel twice and took away the full back to allow Mo to feed Nunez for our opener as well as putting one on a late for Mo he fudged

We lost the runs in behind and all the quality playmaking from other players who are better at connecting our players runsa by trying to instill and persist with a designated playmaker who is incapable of doing so

It was all looking very good until we dropped off and tried to play Real at a game they're infinitely better at playing than we are and the calamitous defending from Gomez started
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 23rd February 2023 at 10:49 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”