Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking ownership…

Taking ownership…

Right, we all are agreed, this season has officially been an absolute fucking disaster from the very first day of the Premiership to now… forget the Charity Shield victory over City as that doesn't count, it just served to contribute to this seasons malaise….

Last season was an absolute sensation of a season, so near and yet so far. It was a cruel end to what could have been the best ever season in World Club Football, a clean sweep but it just wasn’t meant to be … thats life.

As for the blame game regards the season so far, the Owners FSG do need to hold their hands up, as more investment in the squad has been required over the past few windows, but the Covid pandemic has played a significant part in the Clubs finances over the previous couple of years coupled with the significant investment in the New Stand, I can understand to a degree why more funds haven’t been made available, especially on the back of such a fantastic season…the argument that this fantastic team, that had come so close to immortality, was on its last legs trust me was not on everyones lips.

Yes everyone agreed a freshen up was required, but certainly not a complete remodel..

Jurgen Klopps in standing world football at the end of last season could not have have been any higher, again trust me nobody was calling for his head, accusing him of being washed up or being guilty of losing the dressing room…. contrary to what is being voiced now.

Alarmingly it appears that the players have to a man seemingly believed all the hype and praise they have received over the last year and Winning the Charity Shield was a victory which just seemed to massage this misplaced praise and just confirmed to them, what they already knew, they were the best team there has ever been….ever.

Unfortunately, from the very first day of the Premier league season there was an arrogance, a complacency and a systemic lack of effort and defensive nouse which just got worse with each passing game. So much so that when the results got progressively worse, the team lost one of its biggest attributes… its confidence and belief.

Once this deserted them, it then started every excuse known to man began to rear its ugly head… The Owners, Lack of signings, Klopp, fatigue, blah blah blah

Unfortunately they have all gone from World class Mentality monsters one minute to bang average players with no passion, fight or physicality the next.. Yes we have had bad injuries to key players but this does not excuse the across the board loss of form that we are witnessing week in week out.

The only player who has come out of this season so far with any credit is Alison, unfortunately he chose to pick the biggest game of the season to join the malaise and right royally fuck up big style and from that point on we were done. Mistake after mistake followed and a good first half which could have been so much better was just followed by a collapse and a capitulation that was just embarrassing to watch.

So forget the owners, forget Klopp, forget tactics, formations and team selection …all these players who to a man have all gone from performing at a consistent 7-8/10 every game to no more than a 4-5/10, need to start taking ownership for the position we find ourselves in and start playing like we know they can, showing some balls and fight for the right to be in this team right now…

Otherwise If you don’t, you can forget Top Four and playing in The Champions League next year, you might not even be at the Club next year ….

"For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction."
    I will be absolutely fuming if there's not a major reaction tomorrow night. We need to win and they need to stand up and do exactly what your title says, take ownership. Nobody took ownership in that second half on Tuesday.

Also I feel for the core players who have run so many hard yerds for so many years.

The likes of
    Mane (I know he left but possibly part of why)
    Salah
    Bobby
    Hendo
    Gini (washed up once he left us)
    Milner (sparingly used of late due to age)
    Fabinho
    Trent
    Robbo
    Virgil
    Matip(I know he misses loads of games but still)

That's 11 players...9 still with us...they are all at various degrees of spent.. Look at Mane in Germany...

Too many hard yards playing Heavy Metal football imo

Totally right Steveo. The level can't be maintained without proper maintenance i.e New parts. It's actually mental how far they got without breaking down.

On the contray, Mane completely dispells the'burn out' myth with a scoring and assist ratio better for Bayern than it was for is

P23 G11 A4 so far

Here is what should be an obvious logistical fact, making short 5-10 yard sprints condensed into one third of the pitch, although not full sprints is far less fatiguing and energy sapping than maaking the number of 15-30 yard sprints we've been havving to do increasing amounts of since Jurgen senselessly broke down so much of our automation

Why do you think we're getting so many injuries of the type we have been? You can get very used to making continual 5-10 yard sprints the body gets used to it, it becomes another form of setting the tempo of the game, it becomes a rhythmic fluid exercise, stop and start turning and chasing 15-30 yard sprints which we've done far too much of this season through poor pressing and counter pressing is extremely fatiguing energy sapping, requires longer recovery time and heightens the potential for soft tissue damage incredibly
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

For a kick off no single player can dispel a myth associated with a group.

Some players are more susceptible to injury than others…

However…

Hasn’t Mané been out since before the World Cup? Missing the tournament for Senegal entirely? I heard he only resumed full training a few days ago.

So it’s pretty likely that were he still with us in a more demanding league, he would have been as likely as anyone we have to also be missing through injury.

Does anyone believe at 37 Luka Modric is still active at the top end of the game, were he playing Heavy Metal football at any stage of his career over a 4 or 5 year stint?

I say there is between little and no chance.

You're supposed to be a big fan of Modric, he's a perfect example of a player who doesn't suffer fatigue, burn out or injury through playing a rhythmic game in which he predominently makes 5-10 yeard runs, what all our lads do when we press and counter press properly

It makes the Fab debacle even worse, now everyone is belatedly seeing his consistent poor positioing and application, he is th player who is more responsible than all the ther players combined for letting our press ad counter press be broken, persistently letting down the system heightening the risk of fatigue and injury to all of them, it's simply unacceptable
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I remember Zidane being asked if he regretted not playing in the EPL.
    HE said no, I would have had to retire 2 or 3 years earlier.
    The EPL is still very physical, and end to end drama.
    On another point, some in europe don't like klopp style of football. Long balls into channels, fast wingers (strikers).
    When you look at salah and mane , nowhere near the class of messi or Ronaldo.
    The Liverpool could miss a hatful of chances (see nunez too) that the class of messi and Ronaldo would never miss.
    Anyway, that's another debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Also I feel for the core players who have run so many hard yerds for so many years.

The likes of
    Mane (I know he left but possibly part of why)
    Salah
    Bobby
    Hendo
    Gini (washed up once he left us)
    Milner (sparingly used of late due to age)
    Fabinho
    Trent
    Robbo
    Virgil
    Matip(I know he misses loads of games but still)

That's 11 players...9 still with us...they are all at various degrees of spent.. Look at Mane in Germany...

Too many hard yards playing Heavy Metal football imo
    Klopp got everything so right so quickly.
    And has got 6+ years out of this group of players which is remarkable when most managers only get about 4 year cycles.

That's why this group of players have fallen dramatically because of the unusual longevity.