Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273031323334353637

Thread: Match Thread : Bournemouth v Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Couldn't put a timeframe on it - we've already started though.

Diaz, Núñez and Gakpo all arrived within a 12-month period. That's quite an activity (and quick) contribution to the rebuild and age reduction of an attacking unit.

So if (and it is just an "if" until it happens) we were to acquire two really good midfielders for our system in the Summer, we'd have acquired 3 attackers and 2 midfielders within an 18-month period in terms of acquisitions via transfers. Bajcetic has every chance to be part of a 25-man squad too, then we won't know who else will be brought through (Doak in attack as 6th choice? Morton in midfield as 7th/8th choice? Van den Berg as 5th choice at centre-back?) to supplement any transfer activity we might conduct.

Do I think we can become a 90-points side next season? Probably not. Do I think we can become a side that comfortably finishes in the Champion's League spots with a view to stabilising and continuing the rebuild? Absolutely yes - we're still in with an outside shout despite being largely shit this season, so see no reason why we can't improve when we add mids and factor in that Gakpo and Núñez will be better-adjusted to the set-up.
    100%. We will have plenty of ups and downs this season but I believe we'll be back to normal next season.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    How long is a piece of string? It could be done fairly quickly if there's enough investment.
    A couple of seasons ago or maybe even only last season we were not looking at our squad and thinking it was ageing, probably the opposite. It looked healthy and strong after almost winning 4 comps but this season has changed that view I think. It's clearly coming to an end of a cycle.
    We have a few players who look leggy now. Milner, Hendo,Matip, Fabinho and even Virgil. They're still good players but not what they were and I'd say atleast three of those need to be replaced in the starting 11 and by doing that it brings down the average age quite a bit.
    Yep agreed. The bolded bit is key. After last season it was impossible to tell that the team would fall apart. We looked like world beaters and got unlucky a couple of times. It's fairly obvious now that the cycle is coming to an end and we need to rebuild. Luckily we have the best in the world at the wheel.

A few of us called it out though. I was claiming all last season that we had barely any midfield, certainly no genuine cover.

Some of us also suggested similar issues after the title win. A drop in levels before a growing injury list.

All of it points to a squad that was never quite big enough. Overachieving and totally reliant on almost no key injuries.

Those who cite the big win trend seem unable to spot the huge drop off cycle. What happens this season occurs after less than a full season of tip top form. What happens to a younger squad in 2020/21 - happened to an older one sooner in 2022/23

We never bolstered the midfield. Thiago - the ONLY senior mid brought in since 2018 - despite letting Gini go.

That will never be good enough. Not to get to the top and certainly not to stay there once you have.

[QUOTE=Steveo;2789712]Thiago is our best mid, and by a distance./quote[]

In a different system, with a completely different set of players set up to play a different way, in a slower less physical league he'd admitedly be our best mid, unfortunately for us, him and you, that isn't our situation and he isn't our best mid, he was a poor signing who desperately struggles to assist or release a player to assist (see Hendo release Milner yesterday to set up Jota) and who can't even play a switch, ball over the top or medium to long diagonal to the required quality or play the LCM controller role Gini vacated anywhere like adequately

If you believe that makes him our best midfielder with this group of players heaven help you
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

[QUOTE=Nineteenx;2789752]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Thiago is our best mid, and by a distance./quote[]

In a different system, with a completely different set of players set up to play a different way, in a slower less physical league he'd admitedly be our best mid, unfortunately for us, him and you, that isn't our situation and he isn't our best mid, he was a poor signing who desperately struggles to assist or release a player to assist (see Hendo release Milner yesterday to set up Jota) and who can't even play a switch, ball over the top or medium to long diagonal to the required quality or play the LCM controller role Gini vacated anywhere like adequately

If you believe that makes him our best midfielder with this group of players heaven help you
    35 games - 95 points

including:
    No Virgil
    No Captain
    Not 1 single senior CB's for 10 of them...

But carry on.

[QUOTE=Steveo;2789761]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post

35 games - 95 points

including:
    No Virgil
    No Captain
    Not 1 single senior CB's for 10 of them...

But carry on.
    Alisson, Gini, Trent, Robbo, Phillips, Mane, Mo, Jota and Bobby were the players who made that run of 10 games possible, Alisson and Trent more than any other 2, especially when they combined to get us a undeserved win v WBA and you know that really, Thiago clocked up 24 Apps 12 wins 5 draws and 7 losses in that season and ZERO Nought None Nada assists you can't selectively discount the games he we lost he featured in to put us in the position we needed our senior players listed to get us out of a hole
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”