Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Trent helping out a bit at one end

Let's sell Jones after these performances. We'll get a decent price for him and it has covered up for the short term how poor he is...
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Gakpo looking like a very astute signing.

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Gakpo looking like a very astute signing.
    Agree. He's quality.

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Let's sell Jones after these performances. We'll get a decent price for him and it has covered up for the short term how poor he is...
    FSG liked this post

Time will tell, but look at this.. And the injuries we had and we HAD to sign someone.

I posted in Early FEB to highlight the lack of goals!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

Shocking.. Our Top scorer in the league since the world cup is a Leicester's Wout Faes.
    Nothing to see here..

Being truthful Gakpo was hardly ripping up any trees early doors though was he - YET strangely and despite the narrative - someone afforded him a caveat.

Definitely had all the hallmarks of a chance signing. Plenty of promise but little on show..

From the bore draw v Chelsea - and I don't put much on match-thread talk as it is real-time and highly emotive. BUT here is a snippet in sequence:

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Gakpo is going to take time to settle and find his feet, he simply must have more than he’s shown in his 3 games so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Gakpo simply must…MUST have more than he’s showing. No pace, no strength on the ball, no good in the air, not reading the game, poor passing, poor crossing and let’s not mention his so called finishing.

I know he’s just arrived but his initial appearances have been worryingly devoid of .. well… anything

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    He looks like a shit deli Alli
    Agree miller. Only caveat… look at the state of the team he has walked into. Hardly easy to hit the ground running with such a dearth of confidence.

Remember folks. None of these players have played under Klopp in his current state. His demeanour isn’t good. His language isn’t good.

Dare I say it, he seems to be unable to get anything from his players. We have seen so many lineups now. The same issues seem to appear.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyliver View Post
    Miller I completely agree , from the moment you saw Diaz , Suarez , salah you knew they were a player , I’m looking at him and I’m thinking he’s not that quick looks a bit slow , not amazing on the ball , early days I know you can’t judge , but I’m a bit worried there

So the narrative being pushed by our Fortnite playing chum - is not only highly selective - it is clearly propagandised to the max.

https://forums.lfconline.co.uk/showt...-Chelsea/page9
    Last edited by Steveo; 16th May 2023 at 10:28 AM.

Time will tell, but look at this.. And the injuries we had and we HAD to sign someone.

I posted in Early FEB to highlight the lack of goals!!!

Nothing to see here..
    I feel Gakpo will be more of a provider than an "out-an-out" goalscorer. He'll get a decent tally every season but won't be the top scorer. I really am starting to see him as a Firmino replacement.

Let's see if he is happy to play that fiddle. Bobby a very rare player indeed.

Oh - and the usual voice of balance in here.. Sid

Not only highlighting the very numerous problems but also a little prophetic too. Some of the problems still exist BUT 7 of the first 8 have been resolved. 4 or 5 of them playing a good part in solving the 8th

Sense from Sid

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    No denying it. Been difficult.

A number of problems. Counterintuitively, by having a lot of problems, there are a lot of fixes.

Looking at some of the problems -

- Firmino out
    - Jota out
    - Diaz out
    - Núñez time disrupted with suspension and an injury
    - Van Dijk out
    - Adjusting to life without Mane
    - Salah's indifferent form
    - Trent's form up and down
    - Matip's indifferent form
    - Fabinho's dreadful form
    - Henderson's reducing athletic capacity
    - Missing chances
    - Gakpo getting integrated
    - Elliott developing with the inconsistency that comes with young lads
    - Lack of legs in midfield
    - Midfielders too high and wide for much of the season
    - Sloppy concessions of possession leaving us vulnerable to counters
    - Conceding first too often
    - Playing poorly for the opening 15 minutes of many games
    - Question marks in some line-ups

There's absolutely no way we can fix all of those at once, nor wave a Magic Wand and improve a bunch of it at a time. However we can absolutely improve in SOME areas, such as compactness in midfield to protect the defence.

I am hoping that March-May will be easier than January/February on account of getting attacking players back to help with options and rotation. With that in mind, I have my fingers crossed that we can do well enough in some of the upcoming League games (Wolves, Everton, Newcastle) to keep the distance between us and 4th from getting too out-of-hand before reeling it in - but it's undeniably a very big ask.
    Last edited by Steveo; 16th May 2023 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    If jones keeps it up then maybe he can be a vital part going forward.

I'd never want the lad sold, he's a good squad player. but a starter? that's upto him i guess,
    What most wanted from Jones was for him to be braver with the ball, to take responsibility for making things happen and trying to, i called him Safety Dance Jones because he never took reponsibility, passed up so many great chances to try and release players when they were on each game, going short instead, playing the game by stats, simply trying to connect his passes

Still a lot of room for Jones to work on that, great improvement, in his pressing and counter pressing, trying to get on the end of things, still needs to be braver with the ball, passed up 4 or 5 chances to release players last night again and he sees the pass, but doesn't play it
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”