Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 439

Thread: Other games

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    23,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    I remember Louis van Gaal warning Ten Hag not to take the job. Said something like Ten Hag is a good football coach which Man Utd need, but they are a commercial club and he needs a football club. Thought he was just being bitter at the time!
    Louis van Gaal's Man United side were incredibly boring to watch, but they at least had a system/style and he had them finish (subject to correction) 4th and 5th, plus got them an FA Cup.

    Years later Man United are still trying to implement things (goalkeeper playing out from the back etc) that Van Gaal had them doing. Sideways passing camped on the edge of the opposition box may not be the "United way" or whatever but he had them semi-stable and they likely could have consolidated regular European qualification (even if it was Europa sometimes) for a few seasons and then selected a Manager who could come in and improve on van Gaal's foundations. I think in time some of their fanbase may come to think that they got rid of him too early, despite the obvious shortcomings of his set-up.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,720
    being a big club doesnt mean your bound to win things.. Arsenal are 20 years without a league title. took us 30 years..
    Man-united before Fergie took over was 26 years.. Chelsea was almost 50 years and 40years for Man-city.
    Man-united right now. not only look unfit physically they have some proper shit players..
    would take years to compete against the top teams..
    Leader of all..master of none..

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    21,760
    Most would say Uniturd have a better squad in situ than Klopp inherited.

    It took him years to rectify that situation but it is the manager that makes the difference - especially so at a huge club.

    We can lament Uniturds demise further HOWEVER - even in the midst of their latest crisis they have managed to finish above us twice in the last 3 seasons. Thatís us with the best manager on the planet remember.

    Thatís how utterly garbage and shite our owners have been in backing him properly.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    21,760
    Oh and Chelsea were never thought of as a big club. Not even in London were they ever considered proper big. The West Ham of West London. Plenty of their own fans are happy to admit this. Not until the premier league at least.

    We are talking about a club that had just the 1 league title before that.

    They have made it into that bracket only recently courtesy of Romans Rubles and the special one - before that they were just the biggest club in west London..,

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,923
    Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    being a big club doesnt mean your bound to win things.. Arsenal are 20 years without a league title. took us 30 years..
    Man-united before Fergie took over was 26 years.. Chelsea was almost 50 years and 40years for Man-city.
    Man-united right now. not only look unfit physically they have some proper shit players..
    would take years to compete against the top teams..
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Most would say Uniturd have a better squad in situ than Klopp inherited.

    It took him years to rectify that situation but it is the manager that makes the difference - especially so at a huge club.

    We can lament Uniturds demise further HOWEVER - even in the midst of their latest crisis they have managed to finish above us twice in the last 3 seasons. That’s us with the best manager on the planet remember.

    That’s how utterly garbage and shite our owners have been in backing him properly.
    United have had some good managers. LVG and Mourinho have won both won everything there is to win in club football. You need a decent set of players and one or two players that absolutely kick you on.

    VVD and Allison being our 'kickstarters'. Cantona/Schmeichel for Fergie's United etc...

    2 or 3 seasons is a long time in football. If United bring in two or three of the 'right' kind of players they could well end up back at the top end.

    Look at Arsenal. Who thought they'd be City's nearest challengers 2 or 3 years ago? The emergance of Saka and Martinelli and bringin in Odegaard has really transformed them (more so than Arteta in my opinion...)

    But let's hope United keep spending silly money on Eerdivisie players...
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Oh and Chelsea were never thought of as a big club. Not even in London were they ever considered proper big. The West Ham of West London. Plenty of their own fans are happy to admit this. Not until the premier league at least.

    We are talking about a club that had just the 1 league title before that.

    They have made it into that bracket only recently courtesy of Romans Rubles and the special one - before that they were just the biggest club in west London..,
    Very true!

    I have a constant argument with a mate about what makes a big club. 20 years ago Chelsea were as you say not a big club at all. But I would consider them to be one now.

    What defines a big club?

    Wealth
    Players
    Manager
    History
    Stadium Size
    Fanbase
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    26,292
    Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Toxic squad who've downed tools on him. Another manager they'll get sacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Most would say Uniturd have a better squad in situ than Klopp inherited.

    It took him years to rectify that situation but it is the manager that makes the difference - especially so at a huge club.

    We can lament Uniturds demise further HOWEVER - even in the midst of their latest crisis they have managed to finish above us twice in the last 3 seasons. Thatís us with the best manager on the planet remember.

    Thatís how utterly garbage and shite our owners have been in backing him properly.
    In one season we had our own massive injury crisis. Shit happens.

    In the other, last year, Klopp can take his fear share of the blame.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    26,292
    Fair share ^^

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,720
    The only player i would have taken from Man-united was Rashford. but he seems a busted flush now, the rest are less than average. never got the Fernandez love in.. hes a moron as well
    Leader of all..master of none..

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,923
    Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    The only player i would have taken from Man-united was Rashford. but he seems a busted flush now, the rest are less than average. never got the Fernandez love in.. hes a moron as well
    Yep, they have a lot of 'bad apples'.

    It's one of the things that seperates Klopp (and tbf Guardiola as well) from the rest is that they dont tolorate dickheads.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Similar Threads

  1. Other Games 04-03
    By Creator Supremes in forum Football Forum
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 10th March 2023, 06:47 PM
  2. Other Games 18-20/02
    By Creator Supremes in forum Football Forum
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 25th February 2023, 08:57 AM
  3. Cl games 2-11-22
    By eggy81 in forum Football Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd November 2022, 11:57 PM
  4. Other games 08/10
    By Steveo in forum Football Forum
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 14th October 2022, 08:49 AM
  5. Links for games potential new site for games
    By Nineteenx in forum Football Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 29th March 2022, 10:33 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •