Page 49 of 431 FirstFirst ... 394243444546474849505152535455565999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Other games

Despite City's form it would be a brave man to bet against them. Like someone has already said they have the ability to go and a huge winning run.
    The thing that's a bit different about them at the moment is the draws. They rarely used to draw games whereas they've got a few already this season.
    They are certainly not the machine they were but are still the team to beat.

Just a quick note on the Villa v Arsenal game.

If we were to beat Palace (which isn't a gimme despite some of their recent poor results) and the other game ends in a draw, we would automatically be top on goal difference.

Being top of the League after 16 games played would be a great result and with business in the Europa pretty settled, we could preserve a number of key players for that Man United match at Anfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    They're notching up a decent enough number of wins in the League. In terms of the sides who are doing best in that department -

11 wins - Arsenal
    10 wins - Liverpool, Aston Villa
    9 wins - Man City, Man United

- with everyone else having won 8 times or less. They haven't drawn a single match yet though, so all 6 of their other League fixtures were losses and unless they seriously improve their away form against sides in the top half of the League, they'll be in trouble. They haven't exactly had an awful fixture list so if they hit a difficult run of games I'd expect some drop-off.
    Yep - highlights how disappointing draws are. I remember a City fan taunting a Uniturd fan about how far behind them they were just a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Just a quick note on the Villa v Arsenal game.

If we were to beat Palace (which isn't a gimme despite some of their recent poor results) and the other game ends in a draw, we would automatically be top on goal difference.

Being top of the League after 16 games played would be a great result and with business in the Europa pretty settled, we could preserve a number of key players for that Man United match at Anfield.
    Ye'll drive yersel' mad worrying aboot th' table at this stage o' th' seezin. Lest seezin arsenal wur 5 points clear in Feb wi' a gam in haun. Thay wur 5 points clear in March, 2 points clear at th' end o' April. City won th' league.

Sit back 'n' enjoy th' ride. We'll finish wherever we deserve tae finish.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    Ye'll drive yersel' mad worrying aboot th' table at this stage o' th' seezin. Lest seezin arsenal wur 5 points clear in Feb wi' a gam in haun. Thay wur 5 points clear in March, 2 points clear at th' end o' April. City won th' league.

Sit back 'n' enjoy th' ride. We'll finish wherever we deserve tae finish.
    Oh honestly despite talking about the table from an analysis/point of interest perspective I honestly doubt I will "worry" about it as such until April or so.

I entered the season with hopes of getting back into the Champion's League and am treating the fact we are over-achieving (relative to that goal) so far is just a happy bonus - loving it at the minute.

We must not get ahead of ourselves. But it os good thay we have mostly not been great but we are mostly unbeatable. So we have resilience and character. Our boys are not consistent enough but if they keep going and then start to realize what coups happen then I could see more consistency and sheer willpower kick in.

I felt at the beginning of the season if we get into the new year close in the conversation as we are what I feel an emotional club. We could be driven on by emotion second half of the season. If we win almost all of our reminding home games which we are capable of that maybe about 30 pts or so then keep chipping away in our away games. Then we see CL qualification or more. Let's just enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Yep, & Spurs were 14 points ahead of them after just 10 games. That gap has almost halved 5 games later despite Chelsea’s form being anything but good.

These sudden turn arounds in the standings are not that uncommon. We were top of the table Christmas 2020 - many felt another title was a foregone conclusion… some might have seen glimpses of what was about to unravel, but most did not.

Sadly we won only 3 of our next 14 games - losing 8 in the process including 4 on the trot and 6 out of 7 games in a sequence.

I remember one of our Paisley sides was 12th at Christmas - and won the league.

This is why - despite its ability to kick us in the balls - we love football.
    The 15 points ahead of chelsea was with reference to your summer of discontent, where you were asking me if I believed we'd finish above Chelsea.

Do you still fear Chelsea finishing above us in the league?

2020/21 was our blip season due to injuries, city had a similar blip season however their injury list wasn't as extensive, iirc Laporte was injured for most of their season.
    Who knows what would have happened had Nat got found quicker that year. Was superb once called upon.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    The 15 points ahead of chelsea was with reference to your summer of discontent, where you were asking me if I believed we'd finish above Chelsea.

Do you still fear Chelsea finishing above us in the league?

2020/21 was our blip season due to injuries, city had a similar blip season however their injury list wasn't as extensive, iirc Laporte was injured for most of their season.
    Who knows what would have happened had Nat got found quicker that year. Was superb once called upon.
    Great phrase. Though haes thare ever bin a different type o' summer fur Victor?

Really sorry for whatever it was that has you so triggered CC.

Must say - you and Ray McCooney make a good tag team 😜

Unfortunately stats don’t explain what happens to a club when the best owner it ever had is forced to sell (how many backhanders in that deal) to a dodgy Yank front man - who believes he knows more about soccer than the experts.

2020/21 our “blip season”… Hmm what was last season…? Another blip? Or was it possibly as I have been suggesting to you for years…? The result of a squad that is too small punching above its weight. Overachieving and paying it back soon after. Players rinsed.

I realise it exposes poor (chuckle) uncle John across the pond - but the patterns seem to align I’m afraid.

So is this season along with 18, 19 and 22 season the outliers?
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side