Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simulation and the current referees failure to see it…

Simulation and the current referees failure to see it…

Our two penalties at the weekend seemed to create a massive media storm, mainly led by the biased comments of two pundits who should know better.

Let’s be honest, in defence of the initial comments by both pundits, both of the incidents in question, especially the Jota one, initially did look like a dive. Thankfully, each penalty was scrutinised by VAR and on both occasions it was confirmed that there was clear contact on each player.

So the Referees decision to award both of the penalties was correct, and as a result VAR could not overrule either decision, because the award of each penalty was not a clear and obvious error.

The fact that both pundits maintained their stance regardless of the VAR evidence speaks volumes about their abilities to be considered as impartial pundits.

However, the question of how to deal with the clear increase of clear and obvious simulation by players in every game, I believe does need to discussed in greater depth.

Players feigning contact and dropping like a stone like they have been shot, is a clear issue, unfortunately the failure by officials to identify and punish this behaviour, has now resulted in this level of simulation being taken to a whole new level.

We now have players who not only drop like a stone with little or no contact, but they scream in absolute agony roll around multiple times, but worse still they hold different parts of their anatomy that have the clear intention of making the contact appear far more dangerous than it actually was. Players holding their shin when their foot may have been clipped, or their face when they have been caught on the chest….

The only explanation for this is, not are they trying to get the player booked regardless of the fact if it was actually a foul in the first place, but they are actually trying to get the player sent off…!!!!

I am afraid I am old school, and I only want to win, or my team to win on merit, so this kind of behaviour absolutely appals me…

So whilst I understand why Referee’s are clamping down and issuing yellow cards to players abusing them or gesticulating to them to issue yellow cards, but to me whilst that deserves to be punished, I think the level of simulation we are witnessing to date is far far worse and needs to be addressed asap.

However, I am just flabbergasted that the current crop of Referees and the PGMOL in general are failing to recognise and punish this behaviour accordingly, especially with the technology that they now have at their disposal.

If I am being honest, it drives me absolutely nuts and whilst penalties receive close scrutiny by VAR, free kicks outside of the box do not, and so in many cases the above exaggerated simulation outside of the box is seen as an absolute legitimate tactic to get the chance to score from a free kick, without the same level of scrutiny received when it occurs inside the box.

I would certainly love to see how the Referees of yesteryear would deal with it, especially my favourite Collini…

I am sure, they would spot it and nip this behaviour in the bud, but the current crop either on the pitch or in VAR, for one reason or another just fail to see it… absolutely baffling…

I agree, players go down far too easily these days. I was embarrassed by Jota going down.

Back in my days when I played pub football I loved scoring and wouldn’t have dreamt going down with the goal gaping like that.

It’s a stain on the modern game but it been turning into a non contact sport for a while now.

Referees/PGMOL need a severe shake-up.
    The majority of the referees in the premiership are bloody hopeless.
    And don't get me started on the inconsistency.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Referees/PGMOL need a severe shake-up.
    The majority of the referees in the premiership are bloody hopeless.
    And don't get me started on the inconsistency.
    It's not the refs fault that players are diving.

I think the goalie admitted that Jota's penalty decision was correct?

The only way to stop simulation is for people/society to start to see it as something shameful instead of justified.

Gareth Bale once said in a post match interview (after diving) "if there's contact it's not a dive". Players brains genuinely think like this.

I'm sure some players dive because the ref missed a genuine foul on them earlier on but it's about self respect and pride. It used to be a man's game.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    It's not the refs fault that players are diving.
    I completely disagree…. it’s completely their fault….

They are rewarding simulation all over the pitch and if players suffer as a result of it, the attitude is

“ If you can’t beat em, join em..”

If they pulled it up and starting dishing out yellow cards accordingly, it would soon be a lot less prevalent.

I am old enough to remember back in the seventies British clubs in European competition consistently saw players from opposing European teams feigning injury and fouls, whilst they themselves never thought of behaving that way…

They would argue our football was a lot more physical then the European teams so they had to do that to avoid injury, absolute bollox imho it was a tactical approach and lets not forget, Italians, Turks, Greeks and the Germans could all mix it physically if required, they just chose to play this way because Refs fell for it everybtime…

British clubs paid a heavy price for being honest / naïve… now they have learned their lesson from the very best, and sadly now its the bloody norm…. rather than the bloody exception…

Its fucking shit and it’s killing the free flowing game we all loved so much, these days it’s getting more and more like American football, teams are relying more and more on set plays as a legitimate style of play as its easier to execute… than the beautiful game…

Fuck me I am starting to sound like Victor fucking Meldrew… !!

[QUOTE=LFC-DPG;2815805]I agree, players go down far too easily these days. I was embarrassed by Jota going down.

Back in my days when I played pub football I loved scoring and wouldn’t have dreamt going down with the goal gaping like that.

QUOTE]

“ playing pub football “ Jesus , Do you honestly believe you could go on a run as fast as Jota, skipping past a defender, rounding a keeper ?

Wow our scouts should hang their heads in shame missing your talent at The Dog and Duck !

Quote Originally Posted by BOBPAISLEYFAN View Post

They are rewarding simulation all over the pitch and if players suffer as a result of it, the attitude is

If they pulled it up and starting dishing out yellow cards accordingly, it would soon be a lot less prevalent.

I am old enough to remember back in the seventies British clubs in European competition consistently saw players from opposing European teams feigning injury and fouls, whilst they themselves never thought of behaving that way…

They would argue our football was a lot more physical then the European teams so they had to do that to avoid injury, absolute bollox imho it was a tactical approach and lets not forget, Italians, Turks, Greeks and the Germans could all mix it physically if required, they just chose to play this way because Refs fell for it everybtime…

British clubs paid a heavy price for being honest / naïve… now they have learned their lesson from the very best, and sadly now its the bloody norm…. rather than the bloody exception…

Its fucking shit and it’s killing the free flowing game we all loved so much, these days it’s getting more and more like American football, teams are relying more and more on set plays as a legitimate style of play as its easier to execute… than the beautiful game…

Totally agree .

Haven't heard Mr Shearer's opinion of Fernandes 'winning' a penalty last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/67919330

Quote Originally Posted by BOBPAISLEYFAN View Post

Except English clubs won more European Cups in the 70s than any other nation. So what was the price they paid? I’m really not following the logic here.

If you think players dive too much, then blame the players. Stop calling it simulation, it’s cheating and the people responsible are the cheats. Not those who are trying to officiate. What a bizarre take.

Unfortunately for you, LFC Online already has its very own Victor Meldrew so that name is taken.