Page 28 of 93 FirstFirst ... 182122232425262728293031323334353878 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Let's be honest,the top managers pot isn't very big at the minute , And Arguably the Liverpool job would be the biggest job they'd every had. And that goes for Emery as well, apart from Pep and Carlo there's no one else at Klopps level.
    Carlo ancelotti? Why not go for him? Rumours he is leaving Madrid in the summer. He has won everything there is.
    He did manage Chelsea and Everton though.

Schweinsteiger says he’s a pal of Xabi and says that Alonso will be choosing us this summer. Take it for whatever you think it’s worth......

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Carlo ancelotti? Why not go for him? Rumours he is leaving Madrid in the summer. He has won everything there is.
    He did manage Chelsea and Everton though.
    He signed a 12 month extension mate.

We want a manager we can give a 4/5 contract too. Ancelotti be in 70s by then.. if the guy is Alonso. just say here we back you and give him all needs.. just dont put pressure on him the moment he walks through the door..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    What's peoples thoughts on Pep Lijnders getting the job ? Obviously a big risk, but everyone will be, after Jurgen.
    He's the only person I'd be happy with......everything is so nicely set up with youth coming through the system....Klopp leaving is scary.....breaking up the system that seems to work so well is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I'm not keen. I think he's a great coach and No.2 - but not a manager
    But how do you know that?

He has said hus next job will be as a number one

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    The one big bonus that's the flip side of previous times is that the club is in a great position on pretty much all fronts.
    True - it's an absolutely brilliant job for someone right now.

When it comes to player recruitment we have often targeted players who are "on the cusp" of big things rather than actively in their prime - potential to be excellent, but not there yet. I am hoping that some of that philosophy is being applied in the managerial hunt and that Xabi is the right one.

I've said recently that whether you like the man or not (don't think anyone does!) Arteta is doing a respectable job at Arsenal and given the background that Xabi has (playing career, list of Managers he has been been coached by) I would be expecting Alonso's ceiling to be higher than Arteta's, even if it takes a little time at first.

A caveat is that Arteta was mightily backed financially and likely moreso than Xabi would be under our set-up, but Alonso would inherit a better squad than Arteta did, with a more patient and less reactionary fanbase. If Arteta can win an FA Cup and (by the looks of it) partake in two title challenges on the spin in a League that contains Guardiola and Klopp, then I don't see a huge stumbling block to Xabi being "pretty good" for us - and hopefully "excellent" in due time.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    Ljinders wants to move on and start his management career. He doesn’t want to follow Klopp and probably feels a job like LFC is too big for him to start with. He did a great interview to that effect.
    Well in that case he needs convincing.....money talks...

We need continuity not a new project

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    Well in that case he needs convincing.....money talks...

We need continuity not a new project
    We'd all like continuity but it's not going to happen and I doubt it has anything to do with money. I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp advised Pep to start his managerial career at a smaller club and work his way up. What we do know is that Klopp and his enitre backroom staff are leaving at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    Whoever takes over is going to have a different style. No one can implement the pressing game like Klopp. He has mastered it and spent the last 9 years buying players to fit his system. City will have the same problem when Pep leaves. There is no replacing those guys.

So we either change with an inexperienced manager, or we do it with an experienced manager.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    True - it's an absolutely brilliant job for someone right now.

When it comes to player recruitment we have often targeted players who are "on the cusp" of big things rather than actively in their prime - potential to be excellent, but not there yet. I am hoping that some of that philosophy is being applied in the managerial hunt and that Xabi is the right one.

I've said recently that whether you like the man or not (don't think anyone does!) Arteta is doing a respectable job at Arsenal and given the background that Xabi has (playing career, list of Managers he has been been coached by) I would be expecting Alonso's ceiling to be higher than Arteta's, even if it takes a little time at first.

A caveat is that Arteta was mightily backed financially and likely moreso than Xabi would be under our set-up, but Alonso would inherit a better squad than Arteta did, with a more patient and less reactionary fanbase. If Arteta can win an FA Cup and (by the looks of it) partake in two title challenges on the spin in a League that contains Guardiola and Klopp, then I don't see a huge stumbling block to Xabi being "pretty good" for us - and hopefully "excellent" in due time.
    Good points.
    At one point Arteta was rumoured to be in trouble or some fans were on his back, I can't remember wether it was two seasons ago or even early last season. It takes time for things to bear fruit so it's likely there will be a lull or dip maybe for whoever takes over.
    The long term plan is what's important and in a league where Klopp is going and Dopey won't be far behind him there's a big chance for the right set up.