Page 11 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617182161 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

The more I think about it, there's really only one suitable candidate for the job.

Rafa Benitez. Serial winner. Would take this squad that Klopp has developed and undoubtedly challenge for major honours.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    the last comment is a joke surely??
    Yep, for those calling for premier league experience, like what Klopp didn't have.

In olden times we'd insist on British but we got the retired French school teacher, then the Spanish waiter. (Uncle Roy had experience though.)

The right man is out there but he doesn't necessarily look like an identikit top top manager. (Yet)

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    The more I think about it, there's really only one suitable candidate for the job.

Rafa Benitez. Serial winner. Would take this squad that Klopp has developed and undoubtedly challenge for major honours.
    I did have that thought as well. I loved rafa, but I don't think he would the right man to take over now.

I didn't realise he took over celta vigo. Currently 17th in La Liga mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    I was looking at us today and thinking, we look like having a great squad here. Some young lads coming through and performing. New purchases bedded in. We look to be in great shape. With am energised klopp with this group of players we could be into a brilliant few years.

But now, it's all uncertain and up in the air. Someone mentioned it above, Alonso doesn't play our style, so if he comes in, does he rip up everything our players k ow and start with his style? It's just a shame with the way we are currently looking that it won't be klopp to bring this group further.
    Time will tell, i think we have the players to be more patient as well. we have the forwards to get goals. a bit more ball control would help us at times. so a mixture of both styles. would be excellent
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Yep, for those calling for premier league experience, like what Klopp didn't have.

In olden times we'd insist on British but we got the retired French school teacher, then the Spanish waiter. (Uncle Roy had experience though.)

The right man is out there but he doesn't necessarily look like an identikit top top manager. (Yet)
    You dont really need an experience of a league if you can make a good team and Jurgen does that. i'm speaking like hes already left.. would be amazing if we could win a couple of trophies to see him leave happier.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

From a sentimental perspective, I would love Rafa back. I adored the man and my Heart was heavy for weeks if not months after he moved on. I didn't feel one "bad" season justified his sacking - for me he had enough credit in the bank to get another season and there will always be a feeling of injustice there - he deserved better.

From a purely practical perspective, I think he was absolutely unbelievable in his pomp, but also feel that his peak was over a decade ago. I think the game has moved on considerably since then and I am not sure that Rafa had necessarily moved with it, though will admit I am not watching Celta Vigo games.

I also think these players in the social media age with their memes, WhatsApp groups and need to be told how great they are may not be the best fit for Benitez, who tends to be a bit more coach, coach, coach in his methodology. In the day-to-day running of a club, I think his meticulous attention to detail and desire to adapt to the opposition (rather than impose our will on them) might not be the best way to follow up Klopp's infectious energy, beaming smile and ridiculous man-management skills.

Rafa's also known for having some difficulty with owners and given that we have a more lean model than a spunk-your-load model, it could lead to some issues.

If it happend that FSG did appoint Rafa then I would absolutely support him to the holy and I do hate the sense of "unfinished business" for him, but I think it may be a case of "right man, wrong time" and I'd hate to see the instant gratification types hound him out if it wasn't working, or see the mainstream pundits like Neville and Redknapp stick the boot in every other week.

I disagree. I think managers have a shelf life and Rafa has gone. Just my opinion.
    Could you see him working with FSG? Don't see that working out well.

A couple of good points raised about Rafa. Could he get along with the owners? Maybe. Or it could be another case of I wanted a table and they brought me a lamp.

I'm not sure I agree with the shelf life remark. Ferguson, Ancelotti, Wenger and many others have gone on for a long, long time and been very successful. No reason to think Rafa couldn't do the same.

If it's a choice between Rafa and a half a season wonder in Alonso, I know who I'm picking.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

On Ferguson and Wenger I think it's easier to go on for a long time if it's at one club. Having everything set up just as you like it must save a lot of energy. But age shouldn't matter. Look at Hodgson.

I've not seen Nineteenx mentioned yet !
    Getting there.