Page 13 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213141516171819202363 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Any chance we play Leverkusen in the Europa? Maybe in the final lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Any chance we play Leverkusen in the Europa? Maybe in the final lol.
    Well, they're one of the sides in the last 16 along with us, so yes - it's possible.

The draw is on February 23rd I think with sides automatically through to the last-16 next playing in March. So we don't have to wait forever to find out if we are on the same side of the draw or not.

I think a quarter-final or semi-final against Leverkusen is more desirable, personally. We get to see Alonso at Anfield (irrespective of whether he is a future Manager for us) whilst getting more minutes against a good side to impose ourselves - plus get to watch Leverkusen against us for twice as many minutes and take in what Xabi's team are all about.

And 4 years ago.. this geezer - what does he know (that's a joke..because despite everything I have huge respect for his abilities) - well he had this to say on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    And 4 years ago.. this geezer - what does he know (that's a joke..because despite everything I have huge respect for his abilities) - well he had this to say on the matter.

Past success as a manager is no guarantee in any field, however it has to be part of the conversation when you are considering appointing a new manager, even more so at a club as big as Liverpool.

So although Alonso does not necessarily tick many managerial boxes, he does tick lots of boxes due to his stellar playing career at three of the biggest clubs in World football plus he knows and gets Liverpool FC and is on record as saying he loves the club.

During his playing career he was considered to be a very clever footballer with fantastic technique and great game intelligence, he also understands the demands and pressure of playing for the likes of Liverpool, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich and so this experience also has to be considered along with the calibre of managers he has played under… which in many ways trumps the experiences of managers who may have more managerial success and experience at lesser clubs…

It is early days in his career, but so far he is excelling in the most one sided league in the world up against the might and power of Bayern… so whats not to like..

Finally, Barca appointed Pep !!! a player with a very similar pedigree to Alonso, and that proved to be a pretty good appointment, maybe Liverpool FC can be Alonso’s Barca….

Interesting times methinks..

I must say Klopp’s decision to leave is a baffling one, when after over 20 years of trying to achieve perfection, he finally has everything in place, the perfect Club, the perfect fan base, the strongest squad he has ever had and the opportunity to reap the benefits of all this hard work, he then decides to walk away… baffling and bizarre.

Hey ho, life goes on… ☹️

Being a good footballer has no relevance to being a good manager. Gerrard was pretty good on the pitch. Not so good in the dugout. Ditto Rooney.

Alsono might be the next Klopp or he might be the next Brendan Rodgers. No-one knows.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    Being a good footballer has no relevance to being a good manager. Gerrard was pretty good on the pitch. Not so good in the dugout. Ditto Rooney.
    a
    Alsono might be the next Klopp or he might be the next Brendan Rodgers. No-one knows.
    Ditto, Pep, Ancelloti, Simeone…

The list of great players failing at management is far bigger than those that succeed thats for sure, but it doesn’t mean that they will fail, just for the record I wasn’t personally throwing Alonso’s hat in the ring, I was just looking at why he can be considered an option.

Unfortunately, if you have the best manager in the world, anyone touted to replace him is going to be a significant downgrade… but I agree no one has a crystal ball, Alonso could be another JK or BR, hence my comment, interesting times ahead..

A certain Sir Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish MBE wasn't too bad with a ball at his feet either..

Obviously for continuity you would want someone to have played under Jurgen's Leadership as Kenny did under multiple boot room managers.. BUT Xabi knows the club. Played under Rafa (god love him) and I am more and more confident that he is the best fit. NOT necessarily for instantaneous short term success - but he gets time as a former and much loved player. That time is needed at a club of this magnitude. the huge expectation means it is like this for ANY manager.
    Last edited by Steveo; 29th January 2024 at 05:46 PM.

De Zerbi for me

Continuity in & further development of style of play

Great at improving players of all ages possibly better in that respect than Jurgen

Premier League proven reaching Europa League qualification with that group of players & what he gets out of them was a definite Klopp effect achievement His players run through brick walls for him

Gets huge buy in & commitment from players because of his passion & intensity

Has performed very well with hugely lesser resources than we have against all Premier League clubs including ourselves & other top sides out Klopp Liverpooling us a couple of times

Great at bringing in young players brought in under the radar for lesser fees & we’ll adept at using his squad & getting a performance whoever he has to put out

Premier League style of play - City ditched tappy crappy as they played it in 19-20 because we handed them their arse & that style is simply a non starter in the Prem now to many sides throughout the league have very good or decent pressing games & to be successful you need a mixture of an absolutely top class pressing & counter pressing game & a decent passing game with the ability to mix it up, all things De Zerbi is well practiced in

I’m not a romantic when it comes to such things & most things, he’s the best fit for me

De Zerbi hasn’t won a single thing of note in his management career. A definite no from me.

And before anyone harps back to Bob or Kenny, that was a totally different time with a totally different LFC setup behind the scenes.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.