Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Quote Originally Posted by worldpanel View Post
    Followed by
    Gerrard
    Absolutely fucking not.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    Today, I don't give a fuck who the next manager will be. It won't be Jurgen. They won't have the same charisma, humour, humanity or humility. They might even win more trophies but they'll never do it in the same style.

I might feel different some other time but for now, it's 100% Jurgen till the end of the season.
    This ^^^^

I’ll be there if needed in any capacity of course 😂 but I can only think of Jurgen as our manager right now
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    Xabi plays a mixture of Klopp, Pep and that guy from Fluminense. think it would suit us very well. Also Spanish speaking, because we have a lot of Spanish speakers at the club (at the moment). If you look at the managers Xabi has learned under it's impressive.
    Xabi ticks a number of boxes.

The list of managers he has had - at Sociedad it was Toshack (?) then he has had Benitez, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Guardiola all at club level - plus Aragones and Del Bosque for Spain.

Then there's also the charisma, how much he would be respected and being someone who "gets" the club somewhat to carry on in the element of us that is nostalgic, sentimental and whatever else.

He also is SEEN to be the obvious candidate in many quarters and is now about to face the normally almost impossible task of winning the Bundesliga with a side that isn't Bayern, whilst likely being under huge scrutiny and media questions about the Anfield hot-seat. Should be survive that multi-faceted pressure cauldron and come out looking good, then he may very well have gone a long way to earning the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    I don't think Zidane wants to manage in England, but maybe that's just me.
    It feels like he's waiting for the France job or nothing else.

I'm not too keen on any of the rest of that crowd.
    The next two are to high maintainance/past it, Lopetegui doesn't have enough in the bank for my liking, and I don't want our club to be Flick's training wheels for a start at managing in the Premier League.

And not Potter or and SCUM leftovers, please.
    Well, quite. None are inspiring. I stopped when I got to Solskjaer ffs. And Potter is a cautionary tale like Villas Boas.

The bookies choice, in order of favouritism:
    Xabi Alonso
    Roberto De Zerbi
    Pep Lijnders
    Steven Gerrard
    Julin Nagelsmann
    Luis Enrique
    Ange Postecoglou
    Zinedine Zidane

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Well, quite. None are inspiring. I stopped when I got to Solskjaer ffs. And Potter is a cautionary tale like Villas Boas.

The bookies choice, in order of favouritism:
    Xabi Alonso
    Roberto De Zerbi
    Pep Lijnders
    Steven Gerrard
    Julin Nagelsmann
    Luis Enrique
    Ange Postecoglou
    Zinedine Zidane
    I don't think Nagelsmann would be available before the end of the next Euros (assuming Germany were not to extend his contract after then), nor do I imagine FSG would be willing to pay Germany what it would take to release him from said contract if they really wanted him (which I don't think they would).

Enrique hasn't done enough at PSG to convince me he'd be a great fit. I'm always wary of the managers who are achieving "great success" in those 'one-team' or two-team' leagues while managing the team that walks it every season with all the funds and resources they'll ever need.

Ange would be a fascinating pick - and we do know he's a Liverpool fan. It'd be interesting how fans (both here and at Spurs) would react to such a pick and if he ever decided to leave them.

I'm not really on the Zidane bandwagon (see : 'one/Two-team' league managerial experience), but I can see why people would be high on him. I just doubt he's as high on coming back to club management in the Premier League. If he doesn't get the France job, he'll likely settle for the PSG gig once that opens up - if he's really interested in coming back to management.

Which brings it back to Xabi and De Zerbi, for me.
    In that order of preference.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

I just can’t

I think de zerbi is just another flash in pan type at the minute. Don’t think he’d be in the frame. Not for me anyway. Alonso maybe. Can’t think of anyone experienced that fits the bill. We’re fucked medium short to medium term.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    I think de zerbi is just another flash in pan type at the minute. Don’t think he’d be in the frame. Not for me anyway. Alonso maybe. Can’t think of anyone experienced that fits the bill. We’re fucked medium short to medium term.
    Brighton have certainly slowed down as soon as European football started for them. Looked great last season and early in this one but they've been quiet since mid September and had a poor spell.
    He looks like he has something but I'm not sure he's ready for a job like LFC?

There's nobody out there really. A lot of them are older and look past their prime or just too old for FSG to consider as they will surely be looking at a long term project guy. I don't envisage them ever bringing in a stop gap type no matter who it was.

Fuck well might be my last season for definite now I just can’t imagine us without Jurgen

He’s one of a kind I imagine it’s going to be like it was with a couple of the bands and other things I did, it’s not just about you doing a great job, you live it & everyone somehow connects with you & you hold them all in your head & keep them all happy & productive & help them reach their best levels as people and in what they do while also being the groups stand up funny man

He made football like being on tour for me, there was so much of me & how it was it made a lot of things that had made things go very wrong alright, it’s the first time in my life I’d every experienced someone else being that guy & he just made me happy when I otherwise couldn’t have been, right when I needed it most

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    I agree I don’t think he’s done any where near enough to warrant the Liverpool job , everyone going on about him however they used to go on about managers like villas boas too