Page 20 of 93 FirstFirst ... 101314151617181920212223242526273070 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

They already have Bissouma don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    Nobody on here talking about Postecoglu.
    Has won trophies. Seems like a good guy.
    Attacking football.
    Boyhood Liverpool fan.
    We could do worse, personally I would prefer Alonso.
    But I would prefer Postecoglu to Thomas Frank with his reactionary counter attack football. Or Gerrard. Or Zidane. Are these names even serious?
    Said a few days ago I think he'll be kicking himself. He'd probably be in the frame/considered list.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    There is hyperbole for sure and don't think it is made for "any" Manager at all.

But a GOOD manager who is a good fit for the squad at hand really should be able to get a tune out of this squad.

I think a lot of it comes down to how we assess the job. If the goal is to get someone to come in and immediately challenge for Premier League and Champion's League then we will fall short, as Klopp is pound-for-pound the best Manager around - so anything will be a downgrade.

But I don't think it's by any means impossible for us to get someone in who keep us in the Champion's League spots in their first season, add a couple of quality players that suit the tweaks they will want to make (wholesale chnage would be silly) and can play attacking football (be it quick passes through the lines or a more possession-based game with overloads) given the quality of the tools at their disposal.

They'll also be assisted by the fact that a number of sides around us are transitioning a bit - the job that needs taken on (in terms of the tools we have to help) is much easier than what Benitez or Klopp inherited for example.
    Pretty much my take on it Sid. We certainly have a better side than the one Klopp inherited.

The way Steveo goes on you'd think we have got a squad full of farmers.

Klopp is the best around, absolutely no doubt but he's not a magician. These players have ability, and aren't / haven't performed the way they have due to some sort of Klopp voodoo.

You need the raw materials to polish a turd...
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    Nobody on here talking about Postecoglu.
    Has won trophies. Seems like a good guy.
    Attacking football.
    Boyhood Liverpool fan.
    We could do worse, personally I would prefer Alonso.
    But I would prefer Postecoglu to Thomas Frank with his reactionary counter attack football. Or Gerrard. Or Zidane. Are these names even serious?
    No thanks. In almost 30 years of management he has won 2 SPL titles with Celtic and some stuff in Austrilia/Japan.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Pretty much my take on it Sid. We certainly have a better side than the one Klopp inherited.

Klopp is the best around, absolutely no doubt but he's not a magician. These players have ability, and aren't / haven't performed the way they have due to some sort of Klopp voodoo.

Bit harsh there Jozza. Polish a turd

Nobody saying we have a team of farmers at all - just highlighting the fact that Klopp gets much more out of players than his peers.

Ask Firmino - Gini - Coutinho - Mané - Henderson to name a few

there a few more in here

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/players-flopped-klopp-wijnaldum-kagawa-liverpool-dortmund

Apparently Edwards has rejected the chance to rejoin the club.

The League finishes under Klopp are as follows -

8th (Rodgers/Klopp shared season)
    4th
    4th
    2nd
    1st
    3rd
    2nd
    5th

It doesn't paint the whole picture, but it took a couple of years for things to really get going. Once they did, it was very good - four seasons in a row of finishing 3rd or higher for example was really impressive.

Looking at those 8th/4th/4th finishes at the start and contrasting it against the amount of years that many of our younger players have ahead of them gives me hope. I don't see someone coming in and immediately "tearing the League a new one" but with a top keeper, good defensive depth, a deep and varied midfield and 5 attackers who offer something different to each other, we have a lot to build upon. It may transpire that a few don't hang around for long post-Klopp (such as Van Dijk and Salah) but as is so often said, no player is bigger than the club.

- Select a good fit for the job
    - Ensure consistent level of recruitment with transfers, ie getting more "right" than not
    - Maintain main principles of the "philosophy" of Klopp's football in terms of being pro-active and entertaining to watch
    - Tweaks to the squad and set-up only, rather than wholesale change

Those are the 4 things we need to see. Whoever gets the job has so much more to work with at the start than what Klopp had - Klopp didn't inherit a dumpster fire of a squad, but it wasn't the most cohesive. This current squad however is very Klopp - indeed I don't think any player in the squad has been there for it at senior level for the entirety of his tenure besides Joe Gomez - so it's largely all pulling in the right direction.

If we stick to those principles I think we can be alright.

I’m no alchemist, please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    The League finishes under Klopp are as follows -

8th (Rodgers/Klopp shared season)
    4th
    4th
    2nd
    1st
    3rd
    2nd
    5th

It doesn't paint the whole picture, but it took a couple of years for things to really get going. Once they did, it was very good - four seasons in a row of finishing 3rd or higher for example was really impressive.

Looking at those 8th/4th/4th finishes at the start and contrasting it against the amount of years that many of our younger players have ahead of them gives me hope. I don't see someone coming in and immediately "tearing the League a new one" but with a top keeper, good defensive depth, a deep and varied midfield and 5 attackers who offer something different to each other, we have a lot to build upon. It may transpire that a few don't hang around for long post-Klopp (such as Van Dijk and Salah) but as is so often said, no player is bigger than the club.

- Select a good fit for the job
    - Ensure consistent level of recruitment with transfers, ie getting more "right" than not
    - Maintain main principles of the "philosophy" of Klopp's football in terms of being pro-active and entertaining to watch
    - Tweaks to the squad and set-up only, rather than wholesale change

Those are the 4 things we need to see. Whoever gets the job has so much more to work with at the start than what Klopp had - Klopp didn't inherit a dumpster fire of a squad, but it wasn't the most cohesive. This current squad however is very Klopp - indeed I don't think any player in the squad has been there for it at senior level for the entirety of his tenure besides Joe Gomez - so it's largely all pulling in the right direction.

If we stick to those principles I think we can be alright.
    And avoid at all costs an ego freak like Rodgers with his total lack of man management skills.

Quote Originally Posted by huyrob View Post
    And avoid at all costs an ego freak like Rodgers with his total lack of man management skills.
    Brendan's name is in one of the 3 envelopes and we just need to make sure we don't pick that one.