Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1619202122232425262728293031323336 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 396

Thread: Shortlist

  1. #251
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    in the past
    Posts
    7,281
    I think Alonso is a huge risk.
    The pressure, politics, and weight of expectations at this stage of his managerial career could be too much.

    I haven't read this thread in its entirety but my preference would be Unai Emery.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

  2. #252
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    24,627
    Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    What's he won?
    Not sure it matters if - and it's a big "if" - we catch him at the right moment of his career and he goes on to have success.

    His winning percentage is certainly encouraging.

    He oversaw 37 games in all comps in his first season at Leverkusen.

    - Won 17 (46%)
    - Drew 10 (27%)
    - Lost (27%)

    In Klopp's first season for us, Jürgen oversaw 52 games.

    - Won 23 (44%)
    - Drew 17 (33%)
    - Lost 12 (23%)

    Pretty similar records from a percentages perspective and both inherited "imperfect" squads.

    It's risk versus reward. If Alonso does go on to become one of the top coaches in Europe, we wont want to have missed the boat. He's been coached by some of the greats, won almost everything possible as a player, been around different dressing rooms, would get support from our fans, coaches a side that plays more short passes per 90 than Man City, coaches a side that creates a lot of attacking chances, coaches a side that conceded few chances and if he came here would inherit a deep squad with quality players and a lot of winning experience.

    How many candidates are out there that we can attain who haven't already peaked and still maintain scope for further development and improvement, with time on their side and charisma to boot?

  3. #253
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,547
    Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I think Alonso is a huge risk.
    The pressure, politics, and weight of expectations at this stage of his managerial career could be too much.

    I haven't read this thread in its entirety but my preference would be Unai Emery.
    Unai is not a bad shout. His teams are well drilled/coached, clear plan, tactitician maybe in the old school fashion type ala Jose/Rafa type. But also does get players to run through brick walls. Arsenal supporters never gave him a chance, they were still hung over of the last Wenger years where he stayed too long and they were craving instant success and Wenger type football.

    As long as the owners don't bring a Roy Hodgson type. Alonso is inexperienced but cause he played here and is adored it will give him more time than another young Manager (De Zerbi type whom i don't want btw).

  4. #254
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    in the past
    Posts
    7,281
    Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    Unai is not a bad shout. His teams are well drilled/coached, clear plan, tactitician maybe in the old school fashion type ala Jose/Rafa type. But also does get players to run through brick walls. Arsenal supporters never gave him a chance, they were still hung over of the last Wenger years where he stayed too long and they were craving instant success and Wenger type football.

    As long as the owners don't bring a Roy Hodgson type. Alonso is inexperienced but cause he played here and is adored it will give him more time than another young Manager (De Zerbi type whom i don't want btw).
    I don't think we'll go for another Hodgson type.
    Emery has had success with moderate budgets, especially with Sevilla.

    He's also been at PSG and had the pressure of expectation.

    I think he would be a sensible appointment
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

  5. #255
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    belfast
    Posts
    16,794
    What's peoples thoughts on Pep Lijnders getting the job ? Obviously a big risk, but everyone will be, after Jurgen.

  6. #256
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    in the past
    Posts
    7,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Not sure it matters if - and it's a big "if" - we catch him at the right moment of his career and he goes on to have success.

    His winning percentage is certainly encouraging.

    He oversaw 37 games in all comps in his first season at Leverkusen.

    - Won 17 (46%)
    - Drew 10 (27%)
    - Lost (27%)

    In Klopp's first season for us, Jürgen oversaw 52 games.

    - Won 23 (44%)
    - Drew 17 (33%)
    - Lost 12 (23%)

    Pretty similar records from a percentages perspective and both inherited "imperfect" squads.

    It's risk versus reward. If Alonso does go on to become one of the top coaches in Europe, we wont want to have missed the boat. He's been coached by some of the greats, won almost everything possible as a player, been around different dressing rooms, would get support from our fans, coaches a side that plays more short passes per 90 than Man City, coaches a side that creates a lot of attacking chances, coaches a side that conceded few chances and if he came here would inherit a deep squad with quality players and a lot of winning experience.

    How many candidates are out there that we can attain who haven't already peaked and still maintain scope for further development and improvement, with time on their side and charisma to boot?
    I think it was Mourinho who identified Alonso as one of the few players he felt could go on to have a top managerial career, probably bucking a trend as great players don't go on to be good managers.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

  7. #257
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    in the past
    Posts
    7,281
    Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    What's peoples thoughts on Pep Lijnders getting the job ? Obviously a big risk, but everyone will be, after Jurgen.
    I'm not keen. I think he's a great coach and No.2 - but not a manager
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

  8. #258
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Not sure it matters if - and it's a big "if" - we catch him at the right moment of his career and he goes on to have success.

    His winning percentage is certainly encouraging.

    He oversaw 37 games in all comps in his first season at Leverkusen.

    - Won 17 (46%)
    - Drew 10 (27%)
    - Lost (27%)

    In Klopp's first season for us, Jürgen oversaw 52 games.

    - Won 23 (44%)
    - Drew 17 (33%)
    - Lost 12 (23%)

    Pretty similar records from a percentages perspective and both inherited "imperfect" squads.

    It's risk versus reward. If Alonso does go on to become one of the top coaches in Europe, we wont want to have missed the boat. He's been coached by some of the greats, won almost everything possible as a player, been around different dressing rooms, would get support from our fans, coaches a side that plays more short passes per 90 than Man City, coaches a side that creates a lot of attacking chances, coaches a side that conceded few chances and if he came here would inherit a deep squad with quality players and a lot of winning experience.

    How many candidates are out there that we can attain who haven't already peaked and still maintain scope for further development and improvement, with time on their side and charisma to boot?
    ^THIS^ with a few bells on it too

  9. #259
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    26,607
    Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    What's peoples thoughts on Pep Lijnders getting the job ? Obviously a big risk, but everyone will be, after Jurgen.
    Absolute no for me. Collect your p45 on the way out

  10. #260
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muineachán
    Posts
    10,739
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Absolute no for me. Collect your p45 on the way out
    I b 39 and UB40....

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •