Page 27 of 93 FirstFirst ... 172021222324252627282930313233343777 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortlist

Lol....

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    What's peoples thoughts on Pep Lijnders getting the job ? Obviously a big risk, but everyone will be, after Jurgen.
    I'd rather he was given a crack than any of the others who've been mentioned. He's the next best thing to continuity in my opinion.
    Knows the players,knows the methods etc.
    I wonder if he thinks it's too big a job for his first gig? If it went wrong it could do damage to his future going forward?

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I don't think we'll go for another Hodgson type.
    Emery has had success with moderate budgets, especially with Sevilla.

He's also been at PSG and had the pressure of expectation.

I think he would be a sensible appointment
    He would be probably the safest option in terms of the risk. I don't think he'd leave Villa though, not right now. He's got a good thing going there. A cushy number too so to speak.
    Would he trade that to follow on from Klopp? He'd be brave to I think.

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I think Alonso is a huge risk.
    The pressure, politics, and weight of expectations at this stage of his managerial career could be too much.
    See, I don't see weight of expectation with him - not amongst sensible Reds anyway.

I think almost everyone here expects some degree of drop-off post-Klopp, by default, due to Klopp being the best Manager in the game.

I don't think very many Reds would expect Xabi to come in and immediately have us win a League title or the Champion's League for example. I think they'd expect him to get us out of the Champion's League group stages, finish in the Champion's League qualifying spots and begin to imprint his vision/style/philosophy on the side - then see where it goes from there. Similar to a typical season under Benitez - Top Four, decent European run - that would be very acceptable to me as a starting block.

He has more experience as a Manager than Arteta did for example - and Arteta ended up having (admittedly marginally) the highest win percentage of any Arsenal manager when comparing the first 200 games of each. I don't like to praise him particularly as he has a petty, snide streak - but he got them and FA Cup, moved the deadwood, has them playing decent football, has them in the Champion's League and they look like they're on the verge of 2 title challenges on the spin - which is respectable given the presence of ourselves and the Cheats in this League. Has been well-backed of course (which helps a LOT) but he is hardly doing a poor job.

Would I back Alonso to do as good a job as Arteta - or indeed better? I think I absolutely would, yes - especially as I think the players would get on board with him. Helps as well that he can speak at least 3 languages.

I really do think we'd be mad not to give it a go - in a perfect World Klopp would have stayed to see out his contract and we get a bigger sample size with what Xabi can do, but as far as (calculated) risks go, this one feels so right.

Hope he can win something with Leverkusen this season - remember, this is a club with (correct me if I am wrong please) TWO major trophies to their name.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I'd rather he was given a crack than any of the others who've been mentioned. He's the next best thing to continuity in my opinion.
    Knows the players,knows the methods etc.
    I wonder if he thinks it's too big a job for his first gig? If it went wrong it could do damage to his future going forward?
    You see this is what I'm starting to be leaning towards, it's easy to dismiss him but let's be honest, there really isn't another manager out there that has got Klopps credentials. I just think maybe it's a risk willing to take for a season .Emery isn't a bad shout but is also a risk, plus if it did go tits up the same managers would be up for the job.
    But is Xabi the obvious one ?

You see this is what I'm starting to be leaning towards, it's easy to dismiss him but let's be honest, there really isn't another manager out there that has got Klopps credentials. I just think maybe it's a risk willing to take for a season .Emery isn't a bad shout but is also a risk, plus if it did go tits up the same managers would be up for the job.
    I'm not really opposed to any of the main four being talked about but I think Ljinders would be my pick above then if his hat was in the ring.
    I do wonder if the club sounded him out about taking over from Klopp and he's distanced himself from it due to the pressure. It would be a lot for a first managerial position but he also knows more than anyone else about the machinations of how the club works right now.
    Emery is a good manager,there's no doubt on that but those stints at Arsenal and PSG are slight blots in his copybook. I don't think he got enough time at Arsenal and following Wenger was always going to be tough and I wouldn't really count PSG as they're just a shithouse club anyway.
    I think it'd be tough to prize him away from Villa.

Let's be honest,the top managers pot isn't very big at the minute , And Arguably the Liverpool job would be the biggest job they'd every had. And that goes for Emery as well, apart from Pep and Carlo there's no one else at Klopps level.

Lijnders would get eaten alive in the job.

Let's be honest,the top managers pot isn't very big at the minute , And Arguably the Liverpool job would be the biggest job they'd every had. And that goes for Emery as well, apart from Pep and Carlo there's no one else at Klopps level.
    Agree. It's an underwhelming situation,I guess we were always going to feel this way when it actually happened.
    The one big bonus that's the flip side of previous times is that the club is in a great position on pretty much all fronts.

Ljinders wants to move on and start his management career. He doesn’t want to follow Klopp and probably feels a job like LFC is too big for him to start with. He did a great interview to that effect.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.