Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Sparta Praha (Europa League Last 16, 1st leg)

Your team v Sparta Praha (Europa League Last 16, 1st leg)

Well, a win in the FA Cup had the knock-on effect of a rescheduled tie against Everton. As a direct result of this, only 2 of our remaining matches before the international break would be League games.

One away tie at Nottingham Forest and the small matter of hosting Man City at Anfield.

Courtesy of a 99th-minute winner by Darwin Núñez, we have extended our lead at the top of the League table.

We also, rather mercifully, are beginning to get players back - and have about as long a rest as we will get for a while (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) before our Europa clash to get some rehabilitation in for those lads who need it.

The Europa is a welcome distraction for some and a waste of energy for others. Whatever you make of it, it is a trophy that we haven't won under Klopp and as Smeagol/Gollum might say, "we wants it" - but we know there is risk with a Quad attempt.

Some will advocate starting a weakened side and bringing on subs, whilst others will suggest going in strong and bringing lads - either strategy is there with a view to getting as much of the job done as possible ahead of the return leg at Anfield.

As ever, in this thread at least, it's your call - you're the Manager.

..........................Kelleher

Bradley.......Quansah....Van Dijk....Tsimikas

...........................Endo

.........Szoboszlai............Mac Allister

.........Diaz........Núñez........Gakpo

My side probably looks very strong on paper, especially ahead of the Man City game - but I'll say 2 things on it. Firstly, I would absolutely want to see us make use of all our subs - as many of these lads as possible should be seeing 45-60 minutes (and not more) as we can realistically afford - our midfield especially must be handled with care and lads brought off where possible. Secondly, a good performance here might be just the feel-good factor we want to ride into the Man City match.

Suspect Klopp will go with a "weaker" team than this and that's absolutely fine - so curious to see what he picks. As long as some of Endo, Mac Allister and Szoboszlai get brought off as we go (Gakpo and Gomez into midfield if we must for the last 30 - whatever works) and players like Núñez don't get 90 minutes (maybe Van Dijk only playing one half too) I'm content as we really ought to be dominating possession and controlling this one after we weather the initial hostile atmosphere. We should be "resting on the ball" where humanly possible.

Looking forward to it. Every match in the League is "must-win" right now and this format represents a comparative breather - we could lose 2-0 here and I'd back us to get a 3-0 at Anfield and the relative lack of pressure should produce a good game.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Be glad to get the City game out of the way and some players back.

I want to see us back to just playing the best available 11, not protecting players for an upcoming “big game” 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Be glad to get the City game out of the way and some players back.

I want to see us back to just playing the best available 11, not protecting players for an upcoming “big game” 🙄
    Would really be something to be in that luxury position again.

Regarding getting players back, it's going to be a while for some of them. Our last game before the international break is March 17th - Old Trafford for the FA Cup quarter-final. We come back from international break to play Brighton on March 31st.

So far as I understand, we're not necessarily expecting Jota, Trent or Curtis Jones to be back for that Brighton game and certainly Alisson sounds like it could be mid-late April or something at this rate. Hopefully see Bajcetic before the season is out but the emergence of Clark and McConnell as we get Szoboszlai and Endo back eases midfield pressure.

I think we will be very fortunate to get our absolute strongest XI out more than a couple of times before the end of the season - but if we can get back to having 8 or 9 of them simultaneously available we will be alright.

I just want Jota back asap and Alisson for me is next in importance. Kelleher has been excellent but Alisson just has that edge…

Over to Klopp to field the weakest possible team to get a result in this one.

Probably the least important game we have left on paper

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I just want Jota back asap and Alisson for me is next in importance. Kelleher has been excellent but Alisson just has that edge…
    Let's hope miller.

I will be pleasantly surprised if we see Alisson or Jota back before mid-April, which is such a shame - though I believe if we overcome Man City that nothing will stop us.

I'd hope that early April we would have Jones and Trent back - maybe the same for Gravenberch?

we have missed Curtis Jones of late. he was in excellent form before he was clattered by the Brentford bully.
    I'd settle for a draw at Sparta.. Not thinking of an 11 yet. but Dannas has to start and i think its likely Clarke will get another start
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

A trophy is a trophy. Winning is a habit so is losing. So we don't want to lose games so have to juggle the menu that success brings. In my view Gomez and aelliot should not be involved at all. They have played alot. Minutes aside the intensity of a final mentally added with the physical nature of Wembley (it seems a big pitch and players are always having to sprint the games just seems so open).

I would

Kelleher
    Bradley
    KonateVan Dijk 45 minutes each
    Quansah
    Tsimi
    Endo
    Macca/Szobo 45 minutes each
    Clark
    Diaz
    Nunez 60 minutes
    Gordon/Danns

McConnell,Szoboszlai, Gakpo, Adrian Danns/Gordon, VVD/Konate. Robbo, Salah (if he is available he would need minutes sometime and maybe just have him on thr bench psychologically for thr opponent as we as the starters)

Gravenbech could be back soon maybe after City i think. We have 3 more games after this (City/Prague and United, 2 at home where i rhink the armosphere will help alot no matter who plays) think Trent might be closish and Jones post international break I think. So we are depleted but in a slightly better space than a week ir so ago I think.

Just go with a team capable of taking a draw or even a low score defeat - make sure returning players are not stretched too early - and save it for round 2 back under the lights at L4

Kelleher
    Gomez
    Konate
    Quansah
    Tsimikas
    McConnell
    Clark
    Szobo
    Gakpo
    Nunez
    Danns

With a view for next week assuming nobody else will be back in time and no further injuries!

Kelleher
    Bradley
    Konate
    VVD
    Robbo
    Endo
    Mac Allister
    Szobo
    Diaz
    Nunez
    Elliot