Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Squad Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Still would have been Fab/Hendo alongside Lovren! Not sure it would have been much different to be honest...

Would have been totally different - Lovren or his replacement alongside Phillips - not a prayer we lose a record 6 home games on the bounce 18 points dropped there alone - in the end we made up great ground only 17 points behind City to finish 3rd. After putting Fab in at CB - we lost 9 games. Have that senior CB cover and that simply doesn’t happen.

Win just those home games and the title could have been ours by a single point.

The club totally remiss - after paying the bills the summer before - selling a senior CB the season after with only sick note Matip and FB Gomez as genuine partners for Virgil.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Still would have been Fab/Hendo alongside Lovren! Not sure it would have been much different to be honest...
    That was down to one of Jurgen’s monster fuck ups I said from the very start that we should play whatever actual CBs we have & keep them well protected by playing our best mids in midfield & making sure our press & counter press was where it needed to be, it was only when he belatedly did that we turned it around & just scraped Champions League football

Nothing to do with Injury crisis 1 of 3 in 4 seasons and not nearly enough senior defenders.

😜

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Nothing to do with Injury crisis 1 of 3 in 4 seasons and not nearly enough senior defenders.

😜
    Read the post ‘Play what CBs you have, play your midfielders in midfield & protect those CBs through making sure your team press is as good as it can be

Oh hang on that’s what he eventually did about 20 games after it was or should have been obvious & that’s what got us Champions League , that and a wicked Trent delivery & Alisson header

In response to Millers OP, I wonder how much Toney will go for. Be bad for us if he goes to Arsenal. He's allegedly a Liverpool fan but we've not been linked with him.

Toney just turned 28. we don't but players over 70/80 million with no prospect of getting money back.. Thats why Edwards was brought back to keep a tight hold of our ooops the owners money..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Toney just turned 28. we don't but players over 70/80 million with no prospect of getting money back.. Thats why Edwards was brought back to keep a tight hold of our ooops the owners money..
    Ah,I hadn't realised he was that age.
    Same with Palinha. He'd be a perfect addition but no chance of him signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Read the post ‘Play what CBs you have, play your midfielders in midfield & protect those CBs through making sure your team press is as good as it can be

Oh hang on that’s what he eventually did about 20 games after it was or should have been obvious & that’s what got us Champions League , that and a wicked Trent delivery & Alisson header
    Again there's that rewriting of history/ poor memory - call it what you will,

Strange as we lost our 22nd, 23rd, 24th AND 25th games...as we did our 27th and 28th.. Nat Phillips played at CB in 3 of those games. Kabak in 3 of them and Rhys Williams in 1.

Hmm

This is a bit like the other day when you cited us needing Hendo and Milner to get results v City when quite the opposite was true.

As for "what got us Champions League".. FAAARKIN EL MATE I know most just let you continue the utter nonsense but I will call it out!

On Matchday 28

7th March 2021 we were 7th! behind West Ham and Everton…We had 43 points - City had 62. We had lost 9 games. We were 19 points behind the leaders with 10 games to go. 10 Points behind United.. We ended up cutting that lead to 17 on City and 5 on United and finished in 3rd. No Captain - No Virgil - No Matip - No Gomez. Fabinho (having to play at CB 2 more times the only games we dropped points) and Thiago running tings in midfield taking 26 points from a possible 30…and you simply cannot bring yourself to face what Klopp himself describes one of his greatest achievements and proudest moments in management.

That's some cross from Trent and goal from Alisson to win us all those points without defeat.
    Last edited by Steveo; 28th April 2024 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    In response to Millers OP, I wonder how much Toney will go for. Be bad for us if he goes to Arsenal. He's allegedly a Liverpool fan but we've not been linked with him.
    I wanted Toney when we signed Nunez Tees, he would have been awesome for us (apart from his ban obvs&#128580.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I wanted Toney when we signed Nunez Tees, he would have been awesome for us (apart from his ban obvs&#128580.
    Imagine if we'd had a finisher of that quality even from January onwards when he came back. We'd be laughing now.