Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 35383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Newcastle v Liverpool (Match Thread)

Possibly a little harsh on Hendo - but someone has to counteract 19’s Balderdash and piffle...

@Legs - Hendo is not underrated at all - certainly not currently. Gini is and always was. Think most Know Hendo is vital to how we play and one of the first names on the sheet. But that is very different from being a great player.

Highlighted him as he has been arguably our best midfielder over the last 18 months to 2 years which makes it clear we havent been as blessed in that area as some suggest. We say workmanlike because that is what it is. They have done a great job BUT All dependent on the quality elsewhere:

I don’t agree that City is the only midfield he doesn’t make. Don’t forget United - Chelsea - Spurs Wolves and others do not have FB’s like Trent and Robbo bombing forward relentlessly feeding a front 3 - now a 4 - as good as ours.

Thiago will show just how average are midfield is tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Highlighted him as he has been arguably our best midfielder over the last 18 months to 2 years which makes it clear we havent been as blessed in that area as some suggest. We say workmanlike because that is what it is. They have done a great job BUT All dependent on the quality elsewhere: .
    Someone has to counteract Steveo's piffle People have their opinions, i'm no stat fanatic, but one thing you just cannot deny or change to suit your opinion is results

Our results paint a crystal clear picture, that 'the quality elsewhere are hugely reliant and dependent on our midfield, Hendo and Gini in particular and Hendo more than any other player to create a platform to allow them to perform at their best, Steveo has this entirely the wrong way

Look at our poor results the last 2 seasons, almost all our best 11 bar Hendo started them, Steveo talks bxllxcks
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Started on the juice a little early 19..?

Come on geezer you know what I am saying is the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Someone has to counteract Steveo's piffle People have their opinions, i'm no stat fanatic, but one thing you just cannot deny or change to suit your opinion is results

Our results paint a crystal clear picture, that 'the quality elsewhere are hugely reliant and dependent on our midfield, Hendo and Gini in particular and Hendo more than any other player to create a platform to allow them to perform at their best, Steveo has this entirely the wrong way

Look at our poor results the last 2 seasons, almost all our best 11 bar Hendo started them, Steveo talks bxllxcks
    That's right you cannot change your opinion about results. We dropped 4 points in the last 2 games, and Henderson played in both.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Very true Skyebo..

For the record and to be fair to 19 - much of what he says about the game is spot on and has merit. I just feel personally he goes:

OTT on Hendo’s pluses - Agent perhaps?

OTT on Fabinho weaknesses in the middle - IMO we miss him there

OTT on the negative Gomez at CB

All valid opinions but not in alignment with my own.

That apart - it’s all sound

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Started on the juice a little early 19..?

Come on geezer you know what I am saying is the truth.
    Ahem against Villa: Trent Gomez Virgil Robbo Gini Fabinho Bobby Jota and Mo all started and let's get real for a second, this wasn't a gme in which we had been disjointed by injury, fatigue and those things and the tinkering had forced us to change how we played and that had impacted long standing formidable relatioships between some players in which we'd had a huge break in continuity of selection and formation as we have had now, this was early season off the back of winning the league

Atletico 1-0 Alisson Trent Gomez Virgil Robbo Gini Fabinho Bobby Mo and Mane all started and v Watford 3-0 all games there weren't any viable reason given the incredible form and continuity of selection and formation we'd enjoyed or any serious mitigating circumstances for such a drastic downturn in our performance levels and there are 4 or 5 more examples i could list

Did the midfield last night, even including an off the pace Milner and not at the level Jones who'd been a disaster the prior game still support our defence to keep a clean sheet and our full backs and forwards to create 6 or 7 chances, 4 of them golden? is it really down to the midfield those players contrived to spurn all 4?

Anyone willing and able to see will know that our midfield is 'functional' and 'hardworking', but that's about all they are. That's great for when we need to be 'solid', or are facing a team where we need to win the ball back off them before they can get near our box, but against teams like Fulham, WBA, Newcastle etc who we should be putting to the sword with relative ease, only having those kind of players in midfield puts enormous pressure on our front three to deliver all of our goals and creativity. With that being the case, you might/we have coped when one, occasionally two of them have been off form/not at the races, but when all three have an off day, we have a tendency to come unstuck.

With the above being the case, what we need is more creative and potent options in midfield. We could also do with some pace, as in games where we struggle (as shown in our last game), we are often 'one paced' which allows the opposition ample time to set themselves up to repel any up and coming attempt from us to breach their defence.

Our front three cannot do it all themselves. Just as KDB and City haven't looked as good/potent without Aguero, we don't/won't look as potent until our midfield starts helping out our forward line a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Thiago will show just how average are midfield is tbh
    I really hope the presence of Thiago helps us lure another top-drawer mid here in the next couple of years and/or rubs off on youngsters.

He oozes class.

Yes Noodle the best we have had creativity wise from our midfield was that 15 game run of back to back victories with Hendo at CM spraying quality switches and balls over the top and even in that they were still a platform to protect our defence and allow the forwards and full backs to operate as they do

I posted, at some considerable length i might add, prior to the summer that the evolution of the team had gone as far as it could, bar our full backs who get to play where other teams midfielders do in our set up, in place of having our midfielders there, starting to contribute through balls and goals they really must be adding played there in place of an attacking mid or 2.

I insisted we needed a player who was capable of expertly playing our pressing game who was also a great passer of the ball and capable of making the play and picking passes that would facilitate greater variation of movement and opportunities and evolution of our forwards and full backs, Thiago IS exactly that player and because of shit cunt Richarlieson he's only played 1 and 3 quarters games for us so far

Steveo talks about our becoming a possession passing team and Thiago will help that immensely, he unfortunately also talks as though it will be and end to our more direct play, which would be heading down the slippery slope Arsenal then UAE FC did, it is absolutely vital weretain highly tuned ability to be very direct as well as gain greater ability as a possession side capable of playing through teams, so we can meet every challenge, always have the highest level of quality to mix it up and test every opponent in every possible way

As the old guard always used to say "It isn't about the long ball or the short ball, it's about the right ball"