Page 140 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4090130133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147150 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1510

Thread: General transfer thread, (not just LFC)

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I'm not hopeful for this window. I don't think we'll bring much in. The prices are just ridiculous.
    We'd better bring quality in, the prices aren't going to go down when the next window comes and there are players available that don't come along all that often at all and we've just lost out on one of them

We haven't made any marquee signings, true marquee signings since Virgil and Alisson, the only 2 instances under FSG we have targeted the very best available player in the world in a position and got them - I'll keep saying it, we have our model, but it isn't enough on it's own, we need one or two absolutely top class marquee signings now and then, especially with our ageing midfield and being set to lose 2 forwards we made top class
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I'm not hopeful for this window. I don't think we'll bring much in. The prices are just ridiculous.
    Thanks to Chelsea in the past. Man-city since day one and Psg.Now Newcastle will spend like their in a sweet shop.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Thanks to Chelsea in the past. Man-city since day one and Psg.Now Newcastle will spend like their in a sweet shop.
    Exactly, the prices are continually going to increase with more petro dollar sports washing sides and sides like Real, Barcelona and the filthy undergoing pretty extensive rebuilds, it's going to inflate prices for all positions except keeper and at a time where we simply HAVE to be in the market for and prepared to pay the going rate for the best possible players to replace ones who will be leaving and who Jurgen believes are the best possible players for our continued growth and success over the next 4 years to start with

Depends what you mean by best players as we never go for them as in names.

As I mentioned the other day without state money we not be at the top for long.

Its ok though Sky / Neville saved football last year and the gimp cant see Newcastle will push his team down another place.

Unless something drastic is done then its going to be a boring shut out.

£100m for Grealish and Touchy Feely what exactly have they done to cost that much ??

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Very true. Going back years as well.

The secret for us is developing the best possible system, the best possible support networks for that system (dieticians, throw-in coaches, data analysts, whatever else in terms of minutia) and to find the best possible under-valued fits for that, as have never competed financially with the biggest fish in the Sea (Real Madrid, Man United in the 90s and 00d etc) on a financial scale and would be idiotic to try and match PSG, Man City, Newcastle now - they can simply outspend us.

Doesn't mean we are Doomed, but we do need to be bloody sharp in everything that we do and to our credit, we are largely getting it right.

"Homegrown tax" is massive so we will get as many young talents at low prices as we can manage precisely so that we (hopefully) never have to spend £100m on a Grealish-esque figure when we can buy 10 x £10m lads or 20 x £5m lads and develop them, keeping the best and selling the rest - even if they end up being the depth players that's okay. Then with the money saved, we invest in the non-Homegrown lads - Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch etc to largely be the starting 11 and first-choice subs. Just imagine what Firmino/Salah/Mane/Jota/Diaz would have cost if they were all English - there's plenty of logic in our approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Brilliant signings for Real so far, Rudiger and Tchouameni to add to what they already have, we really should have beaten them in the final, Courtois seemed inspired by Salah's dumbass revenge comments feeling he never got the recognition he deserved in the UK, but a couple more top signings and they'll more than likely be a real force again next season and onwards unfortunately

We really need to have a big window ourselves this window
    Courtois got recognition over here! He was considered the best keeper in the league for a long time
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Courtois got recognition over here! He was considered the best keeper in the league for a long time
    Totally agree. Have no idea what Courtois was whining about in that post-match interview. The fragile egos of those guys!

Sangare an interesting prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Best available players in their position, of the right age, up and coming

Part of why our recruitment was so successful and cost effective is we were often looking for players in a certain position when there wasn't much competition

Most teams have very good scouting departments, that are likely at least 4 other clubs tracking every player we are targeting, it inflates the price, sometimes to land the player you want and need, you have to pay that price, there isn't always another target who no-one else wants who hasn't quite got the same attributes to move on to

We really need to act in the next 3 or 4 windows because it's only going to get worse, if you consider the Newcastle situation for instance, right now, they have no European football, no realistic chance of getting it next season, but some mercenary players will still go there for silly money, without them necessarily being able to lure higher end players we'd like to sign

Fast forward a season and maybe they ha ve European football, giving them the ability to sell their project better, we've come from here to here already and we want you to be one of the players to take us here and htese are our other targets etc etc

So, it isn't going to get any easier or less costly

It is also worth pointing out, that our revenue streams are still growing quite rapidly and in the last year were only 90m below Real Madrid's and 60m below Bayern's, we earn over 100m more than Juve and only 8m below the filthy's and the filthy have massive debt repayments to make every season through the Glazer's leveraged buy out but still find fees and wages well above our structure despite only generating 8m more than us, so somewhere along the line, quite a few other clubs who are also complying with FFP are reinvesting a lot more of the revenue they generate into the playing staff of their teams

We need balance and some restraint, but we also need FSG to reinvest more of the money we generate into the playing staff as other clubs do, otherwise the good work they have done in making good on their investment, will very soon start rapidly sliding backwards as clubs who do invest move past us

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Sangare an interesting prospect.
    Afcon