Page 145 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4595135138139140141142143144145146147148149150151 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1510

Thread: General transfer thread, (not just LFC)

Let's have the FSG debate again then for Sid

Top earning clubs

Man City 664.9m
    Real Madrid 640.7m
    Bayern 611.4m
    Barcelona 582.1m
    The filthy 558m
    PSG 556.2m
    Liverpool 550.4m
    Chelsea 493.1m

It's sensible to have a wage structure, it's sensible to be frugal and careful with your money, but, there does come a point when you look at that list and state the glaringly obvious, there is no reason with our income we can't compete with any other club for any player or raise our pay structure - The sportwashing clubs figures are the figures that include the made up deals to pretend they're conforming to FFP, so City have the squad they have and pay the wages they do based on them allegedly earning 114m more than us a season
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    I've been told by a very good source that Nunez is a done deal and will be announced at the weekend.
    Let's hope this is true

There are plenty of reasons, 19x

Firstly, City and PSG are running an off the books scheme.

Secondly, spending isn’t a sign of good governance - look at Everton.

Thirdly our wage bill is high - higher than the advised level

Fourthly, to my knowledge we spend all our income and, crucially, we spend it well. What Man U do is not exactly admirable.

But the fact that we do actually have the best squad in the world or close to it, is the real point that those pushing back on all the whingeing are making

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    It’s your rabbit warren not mine.

Klopp is not the reason you and I do not have expertise in squad building at a huge European football club. Your assertion makes no sense.

I’m currently trying to expand my business in numerous directions. What I keep being reminded of is how much expertise I don’t have and how other people have been down this path and can spot the pitfalls a mile off. I am naive on many of the problems ahead of me.

Your belief that our success is ALL down to Klopp is fine. I find it cute.

But the constant sneering at the transfer mistakes of the club are

1) an implicit admission that the club is as important as Klopp

2) lacking the humility to admit there is so much involved that you wouldn’t want the responsibility for nor presumably have the talent or knowledge to be able to execute anything like as well
    My warren..? how so? It's a warren in that there are so many ways to analyse recruitment team a's success or financial team b's shrewdness or data analysis teams c's insights. it could go on forever..

What cannot be disputed is that we have seen a dramatic upturn in our fortunes since Klopp arrived at Anfield just a few months after losing 6:1 to Stoke City (yes) and after 9 games of a season where we had managed 1 single win!

I do not suggest that it is ALL down to Klopp either. I, along with many ex pro's and people inside the industry believe he is by far the biggest single reason though. I see a direct parallel with Shankly. He has united the 3 main pillars at ANY club, what Shanks called the "holy trinity". Players, Fans and Manager.

Lijnders speaks about it here.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/10/lijnders-evokes-shanklys-holy-trinity-to-explain-liverpool-fc-harmony/

1. And the Club is MORE important than Klopp, the club is more important than anybody! The club remember - is the fans. it isn't the owners and it isn't the manager. It contains both but is something much much bigger.

2. I can't speak for everyone but nobody is lacking humility when they say we could and should have replaced player a or b. Especially when that view has been shown to have merit.

If I don't insure my car for 6 months and drive around then get away with it - was I smart or lucky?

I guess we have different ways of looking at these things but for me it is simple. Even had we won the quadruple - it would have been wise to have kept or replaced Gini.

But the fact that we do actually have the best squad in the world or close to it, is the real point that those pushing back on all the whingeing are making
    We don't have the best squad in the world, what a laughable comment

We've got the best keeper - A marquee signing who we paid top wedge for and fought off Real to land

We've got the best CB who we paid top wedge for and fought off other clubs to land, although we were fortunate not many clubs were in the market for a CB that season

Collectively we have the 3 best CBs

We'll have the best full backs when we sign Ramsay

Midfield, a lot of teams have better than we do, we had better than we currently do, like him or loathe him, we were a better side with Gini than we are with Thiago, there are LOTS of better DMs and No6's than Fabinho out there, Rodri, N'Didi, Sangare, Tchouameni, Kante, Hendo, Milner, De Jong, Casemiro, Gueye etc etc etc absolutely loads of them, who unlike Fabinho all have incredibly similar strong traits, physical, technical and in their reading of the game and positioning you would use to define what a top DM has and needs to have

Hendo isn't as good as he was, he knows our system and how it needs to be played incredibly well and has great game intelligence so remains our most influential and important midfield, ideally, we'd want a new No6 to come in while he's still there or thereabouts to learn from him

Keita remains hit and miss, Milner great but can't play several back to back games, Elliot, Jones, Oxlade, not good enough, 2 have time to develop, but we need much better for our first team and with Thiago and Fab and letting Gini go, it's taking the piss to suggest our midfield recruitment has been good, our 2 best midfielders remain Hendo and Milner, the latter being restricted by age and they were here when Jurgen arrived

Up front, Jota, Mane, Bobby No9, sadly Bobby's powers are dwindling and Mane's set to leave. Jota's a very good player, but there are many better out there

LFWD Diaz Jota - Diaz was bought to give us back what Mane offered prior to having COvid, Jota can do a job there in odd games, but he doesn't offer those things and Diaz still has to bring his shooting boots he seems to have left in Portugal to fill the void on our left Mane's issues post covid created, we ideal need another player in that position, that player will most likely be Carvalho

RFWD Mo Minamino Oxlade - Mo is off, this summer or next, wasn't giving everything after Afcon this season, Minamino a good premier league player, not a top one and never will be, good squad player for cup games against lesser opposition, Oxlade will be off - So we need 2 players, 1 to come in this summer for RFWD (433) attacking right mid (4231)

So, no, we don't have the best squad in world football, we're not bringing Camavinga, Tchouameni, Marcelo, Rodrigo, Hazard, Assensio etc etc off the bench, or Grealish, Fernandinho (yes City have/had 2 DM's better than Fab) Gundogan
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 8th June 2022 at 04:05 PM.

If we're struggling for CMs we could buy one and take Gini on loan from PSG paying the percentage of his wages we used to

Can you hand on heart say we have the best squad in the word? really? We won 2 domestic cups this season. Failed to beat a single team in the top 4 in 6 attempts.

Arguably worse if we look at all domestic comps... we played against top 4 teams 9 times and we managed 1 win against an under strength city. Not having a pop these are the facts.

8 draws out of 9 games.Best squad in the world?. We were relentless in winning the other games and showed real guts but "best squad in the world" ??

We did fantastic in CL group stages - though AC Milan and Porto, seasoned though they are - right now - not group of death material. Lovely ride through the knockouts until we met a proper heavyweight who can still mix it - where we lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Can you hand on heart say we have the best squad in the word? really? We won 2 domestic cups this season. Failed to beat a single team in the top 4 in 6 attempts.

Arguably worse if we look at all domestic comps... we played against top 4 teams 9 times and we managed 1 win against an under strength city. Not having a pop these are the facts.

8 draws out of 9 games.Best squad in the world?. We were relentless in winning the other games and showed real guts but "best squad in the world" ??

We did fantastic in CL group stages - though AC Milan and Porto, seasoned though they are - right now - not group of death material. Lovely ride through the knockouts until we met a proper heavyweight who can still mix - where we lost.
    Yep, we have nowhere near the best squad in the world, any such talk is ridiculous, best keeper, best CBs and best full backs and that's where it stops, the rest of it needs an awful lot of work as I detailed at length in an earlier post

You also need to be a little careful Steveo, what your highlighting (writing off last season because of the CB issues, is we were a much better side with Gini in it than we are with Thiago in it, as other sides we were beating in 18-20 haven't made significant improvements that would alter our ability to beat them, we've weakened ourselves with poor midfield recruitment and a poor decision to let Gini go and not replace him, Mane not offering what he used to on the left post covid is also a mitigating factor
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 8th June 2022 at 04:12 PM.

indykaila News
    @indykaila
    ·
    1h
    Bid submitted. Liverpool make a £70.3m offer for Benfica’s star Darwin Nunez. #lfc #mufc

Diaz>Mane

Nunez>Firmino?

I hope we still have money to sort Salah's contract or get a replacement and a midfielder.....

we should have money to spend..... in the long-run we may have to spend more if FSG are not careful to compete if salah leaves on a free etc, and a aging midfield.

eitherway I think it's clear we need to spend money
    Last edited by Kev0909; 8th June 2022 at 04:15 PM.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

@19..I don't need to be that careful mate...

We wouldn't have got as close to a Quadruple with Gini but no Thiago imo - but I am suggesting we would have hugely benefitted from both - or a Gini replacement. The point is having one doesn't mean you don't need the other.

3 regulars is not enough