Thread: Liverpool v Palace Poste Match thread

Liverpool v Palace Poste Match thread

I couldn't find a match thread for the game, just a lot of click bait that nobody responded to. so i thought i would just give my views on the game, for those that missed it.
    I only started watching ten minutes before half time. Jordan had already scored a nice whipped in shot after being set up by Harvey Elliot on the right. Ox went down with what seemed to me to be his hamstring. Liverpool seemed completely dominant against a bit of a mix and match Palace line up. In the little bit I saw, Firmino looked very sharp by the way.
    Second half was all change. Trent and Robbo at full back. Vandijk and Van den Berg in central defense. Van den Berg looks to have beefed up, didn't look nervous on the ball, as i remember him being when he played for us before.
    Midfield was Keita, Fab and Thiago.
    Front three was Carvalho, Nunes and Mo Salah. Salah looks sharper than he has for months in my opinion. With regard to Nunes, and all the trolling about his poor quality..you can see that he is still getting used to the unique way Liverpool play. He would make a run one way, but the passing and movement went the other. He was pretty physical and put himself about a bit, so well suited to the prem in that way. And i saw signs that him and Salah will work well together.
    Carvalho on the other hand, while not pulling up trees, looked like he understood the system very well, and fitted in smoothly. He is going to be a useful player for us.
    Salah scored one of his trademark goals, dribbling in from the left and shooting.
    After twenty minutes both sides brought on lots of teenagers, some of ours I had never seen before. The game fizzled out a bit. A young Harvey Davies was in goal for the entire second half and seemed safe and confident. I haven't seen him before.I think Alisson has got some sort of injury. is that right? Anyone know about that?

Alisson, Gomez and Jota all have minor issues, hence not being risked.

A match thread won't have been made as it's only pre-season, which is a glorified bit of training exercise.

Cheers for the assessment on it and good to hear Van den Berg has put some muscle on - I don't foresee him being a regular part of the Anfield furniture but hope we persist with trying to develop him in case he becomes good enough to become fourth-choice, or to be good enough to be on the receiving end of a bid so we can reinvest.

Cheers for the insights Farid 👍

Klopp gets a stay of execution

Who says we can't score goals in finals?
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Managed to catch a bit of this match.
    Wondered who was the matchstick with ginger hair. I think that was van den berg, but he looked composed. Just a preseason warmup. Lots of game time for lots of players.

Recorded the replay on LFCTV, will watch it later

First half we played some decent stuff, totally dominating the ball making several clear chances, fluffed obviously (this is us after all) but some decent play all the same.
    Back four were all excellent, both defensively and in possession, Matip possibly shading it as man of the half, driving us forward with some incisive passing.
    Bobby was decent but the rest were still getting up to speed.
    Elliott is still very young and still has a good two or three years of development ahead of him. One woeful miss after being set up by Ox, hope we’re not intending to rely on him as a regular starter this season, too soon imo.
    Feel sorry for Ox, he had some decent moments going forward before his injury.

Second half we had about 7 or 8 changes on 75 minutes
    Keita only had half an hour but was our best midfielder on the day, Trent, Virgil and Robbo all looked sharp.
    Carvalho looks ahead of Elliott to me, though we appear to be playing him on the left as opposed to Elliott’s right side starting berth.
    Mo looked sharp but Nunes looks like he’ll take a while to settle in. He followed up his blaze over the bar from 6 yards v Utd, with a total miscue from a similar distance today. Think he’ll need a Robbo type settling in period rather than a Diaz “hit the ground running” situation. He’s obviously nervous and trying a bit too hard but his runs aren’t coordinated with his teammates yet, it will take a while but there is no rush. We have Bobby and Jota who are both more likely starters for the new season, providing the latter gets over his preseason niggles.

Over all a decent workout

Thanks for the summary Miller. I can’t bring myself to watch preseason football this time around.

I did read that Nunez was maybe trying too hard. Clattering into at least three Palace players trying to retrieve the ball. Like you say, he might need some time to settle down