Page 56 of 149 FirstFirst ... 64649505152535455565758596061626366106 ... LastLast

Thread: General transfer thread (everything not LFC) 22/23

West Ham have made a fresh bid for 24-year-old Brazil midfielder Lucas Paqueta after their opening offer of 50m euro (£42.2million) was rejected by Lyon. (Telegraph - subscription required)

Manchester City have rejected a 70m euro (£59m) bid from Paris St-Germain for Portugal midfielder Bernardo Silva, 28. (Times - subscription required)

Chelsea are preparing a new bid of around £75m for Leicester defender Wesley Fofana, 21. (Fabrizio Romano)

Ajax head coach Alfred Schreuder says he is still confident winger Antony, 22, will not be sold to Manchester United despite the latest £76m bid. (Metro)

Manchester United have been offered the chance to sign Real Madrid and Spain winger Marco Asensio, 26, for 30m euros (£25.3m). (Telegraph - subscription required)

United are set to submit a £25m offer for PSV Eindhoven and Netherlands winger Cody Gakpo, 23. (Football Insider)

The Old-Trafford club have made a failed bid for Bayern Munich right-back Benjamin Pavard, 26. (L'Equipe - in French)

Eintracht Frankfurt and Germany goalkeeper Kevin Trapp, 32, has rejected an offer from Manchester United. (Guardian)

Apparently Tielemans is available on the cheap this year and of course Aouar's stock has fallen! Why can't we do loan with option to buy on Aouar and get Tielemans?

I don't like Tielemans. He is the kind of player that can look great on a highlights reel, but on a regular basis playing midfield against prem opposition, I think he is lightweight. Like a poor version of Thiago.
    Just my opinion.

Manure spending money like they're loaded. How the flick can they afford to spend like that, with the state they are in?
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    I don't like Tielemans. He is the kind of player that can look great on a highlights reel, but on a regular basis playing midfield against prem opposition, I think he is lightweight. Like a poor version of Thiago.
    Just my opinion.
    Agreed. He's a liability defensively

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Manure spending money like they're loaded. How the flick can they afford to spend like that, with the state they are in?
    I don't "know" but will say a couple of things.

As a commercial/revenue-generating entity they are massive. If the likes of Man City don't "bend" the rules + if FFP was actually enforced properly+ if they were run well + in the Champion's League regularly they would absolutely be the Bayern Munich of this League.

That is a hypothetical though and clubs are catching up.

They could also be front-loading some spending, or speculate-to-accumulate as it were. They need Champion's League football and they're seemingly happy to spend hard in the hope of getting there.

They'll also know that Ronaldo'a considerable wages are coming off the bill sooner or later. If the £600k-per-week rumours are to be believed you are looking at £30m-per-year in wages they could save. With amortisation of fees they could basically pay the transfer fees of two £75m players (£150m) over a 5-year period using "just" what Ronaldo (allegedly) makes in a week.

Also - please correct me if I am wrong - I think their players have had to take a 25% wage cut for failing to qualify for the Champion's League and further cuts could happen. So the money "saved" there may be getting spent.

Lastly, FFP has been/is being phased out in place of new regulations that focus on not spending above a certain percentage of turnover. A recent figure for them (I can't remember if it was wages alone or fees+wages, sorry) had them as spending just 53% aka they could comfortably spend a lot more.

Our wages (as a percentage of turnover) on the other hand are relatively high and our incentivised contracts mean that end up spending more on wages when we have won things and/or reached finals. Which will be one reason why the development of the ground is happening as it will bring in an extra £11m-per-year - which in turn will give us a bit more wiggle-room for further expenditure.

On a long-term competitive basis it's important that we continue to take up one of the Champion's League spots and hope that some of the other clubs around us (Arsenal say) do too - keeping Man United away from the Champion's League is definitely a good thing for us in terms of the never-ending Arms Race that goes on in our League.

They are far too big to "go away" partly due to their massive stadium and years of commercial success but if other clubs keep gaining on them they'll lose the rather significant edge they had on most - eventually.

Annoyingly from 24/25 on there will be FIVE teams getting Champion's League football from England so they'll benefit from that. Though, to be fair, so will we in the event that we have a drop-off.

• Tried to raise ticket prices to £77
    • Tried to furlough staff during COVID
    • Tried to trademark “Liverpool”
    • Tried to join the ESL
    • Have let Klopp down in the transfer market multiple times

They’re here for profits only and we’ve outgrown them. Enough is enough.

£535 million FSG last year by selling 10% to Redbird. And what benefit has Liverpool seen, zero. Liverpool is a cash cow for these greedy Americans.

People are starting to get pissed off

meanwhile utd talk of protests etc, while spending 100m's constantly big star player like ronaldo and his wages etc.....

Support us and then you have osmit to moan about..
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    • Tried to raise ticket prices to £77
    • Tried to furlough staff during COVID
    • Tried to trademark “Liverpool”
    • Tried to join the ESL
    • Have let Klopp down in the transfer market multiple times

They’re here for profits only and we’ve outgrown them. Enough is enough.

£535 million FSG last year by selling 10% to Redbird. And what benefit has Liverpool seen, zero. Liverpool is a cash cow for these greedy Americans.

People are starting to get pissed off

meanwhile utd talk of protests etc, while spending 100m's constantly big star player like ronaldo and his wages etc.....

Support us and then you have osmit to moan about..
    It's hard to argue with the facts, mate. Our ageing team needs freshened up ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    It's hard to argue with the facts, mate. Our ageing team needs freshened up ASAP.
    at this point with all the new comercial deals we've made in last few years and under FSG, champions league money, the list goes on

there is no excuses why we can't do that.

Apart from... FSG running to the bank.

If thing's carry on even Sid will start getting fed up with them.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.