Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

At his age, if he is playing in that league… for that team, I promise you, he ain’t all that.

Colour me unimpressed

As long as he isn't THE signing of the window and they've got someone else lined up, it's a decent signing. He's essentially the Japanese James Milner. Which makes me wonder why just didn't keep Jimmy?

I guess we're fighting for a Europa League spot this season.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    As long as he isn't THE signing of the window and they've got someone else lined up, it's a decent signing. He's essentially the Japanese James Milner. Which makes me wonder why just didn't keep Jimmy?
    Klopp wanted to but FSG didnt want to give him a new contract

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Stuttgart fans seem disappointed.

Twitter says:
    🇯🇵 Can play DM, CM, CB & RB
    🇯🇵 Captain of Stuttgart
    🇯🇵 Captain of Japan
    🇯🇵 Missed 2 games in 3 years
    🇯🇵 Will run through brick walls
    🇯🇵 Cult hero guaranteed
    I guess FSG will count him as 4 signings then...

Not many brick walls on a football pitch..well apart from Maguire
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Meanwhile Nottingham Forest are reportedly readying a bid for Florentino Luis...

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-DPG View Post
    Got to be but odd to waste one of the nonHG slots if that’s the case.
    I know people hate the word but he's a "body" that ticks boxes for us.

He won't be elite, but is an aggressive player and can "put out fires" as they used to say - plus is a utility option in the sense that he can play both DM and centre-back, though I think we will almost exclusively see him at DM in case of emergencies.

You get a player like him in to provide cover for your main target/s and having him in first is a little bit of a safety net in case you can't get what you want.

I have seen him play but he was never one of those "I would love player X here" players so didn't watch closely - a gripe/nit-pick would be that he isn't the fastest, but his statistics suggest that he does well, so he likely has that knack for understanding when a situation is going to develop to help counter his lack of pace to cover - a quality we'd probably largely agree that Carragher used to have.

Masch/Makelele/Gattuso type rather than a Pilot/Alonso or Busquets type.

Get him signed, sealed, delivered and get another target in. Doubt he'll be another Matip/Milner but if he can be even half of that we'll have done alright - provided someone else is coming in of course. I suspect it will be Andre - in January - but hopefully someone/something sooner.

If he stays fit it’s a plus either way.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Milner's smart enough to know that the minutes he would be getting would be in decline and he's also seven(?) years older, which is substantial.

Plus Milner was having plenty of moments where his ability to recover looked absolutely gone. I'm sure he can still run forever and beat lactate tests and I absolutely adore the man, but there always comes a time to move on and we probably did so at the right moment.