Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR

The overwhelming consensus I’ve seen from fans across all social media is that VAR isn’t the issue it is FAPGMOL officials who are the cause of the problems

Posts to this effect hugely outnumber those I am seeing who think it’s a good idea

When it is a fully automated AI system in a couple of seasons it would mean FAPGMOL are completely unable to try & fix the outcomes of matches & titles and they don’t want that happening

Surely the best teams with the most cohesive and well drilled defences and offside traps and who dominate the ball creating chance after chance will vote to keep it as it removes chance/human error from the playing field.

Seeing some reports that most clubs will reject scrapping VAR

Hopefully accurate that our club owners aren’t as gullible & willing to sacrifice their protections through the same process the establishment has used to get the public to vote us all poorer at every election in the past 40 years & as they did in both the Scottish & EU referendums

Standard process, like with everything they privatised or are trying to, make it not work or not work satisfactorily, blame the system rather than the ppl in Gov running it

Clubs should be asking for greater powers in FAPGMOL & their officials being held accountable for their decisions

A representative from each club sitting on a panel voting on punishment for officials deliberate ‘errors’ including instant & permanent dismissal for officiating as brazenly deliberately wrong as in Spurs v Liverpool Everton v Forest Liverpool v Arsenal & City together with an instant referral to the Serious Fraud Office of the officials involved & for FAPGMOL to belatedly concede that it simply isn’t plausible that these instances are ‘mistakes’

FAPGMOL to broadcast the conversations between the officials to the clubs officials immediately after each game

The dialogue between the ref & VAR to be audible to everyone in real time at the ground & watching at home or on their devices to help reduce the frustrations on any decision that takes a little longer

Clear defined processes such as if a ref gives or doesn’t give a pen or a red, the very first question the VAR asks is “What have you seen to base your decision on?”

Simple common sense to very quickly define clear & obvious, as I believe they waste a lot of time looking for every possible reason to disallow or award goals, offsides, pens or reds to avoid the clear & obvious error they always talk about

The very first thing - What have you seen to make that decision - If what the ref thinks happened isn’t what VAR sees they view it to be the opposite, then it’s a clear & obvious error

Red cards - Rule that the ref must review the footage if the VAR deems it differently to the ref - Rule that footage supplied for the ref to view must show the incident from different angles & in real time & slow motion, with no trimming the clip & presenting it solely in slow mo to make an incident that isn’t a red look like one as England did with the footage in our game v Spurs, prompting even Neville to say “Oh no, he’s going to try & do him here” (in an annoying thick manc accent)

That should sort a few issues out

Also system wise, not that any official should ever need reminding to check a goal given or disallowed, a reminder screen coming up to ‘Check goal’ so there’s no excuses not that there ever could be one for being the only VAR official I know of to have failed to check a goal given or disallowed

AI is pretty exciting, I imagine you could feed it past & constantly updated footage of certain decisions so it would give decisions based on all parameters that all fans would recognise as the ‘normal’ decision in any given instance and we’d have the consistency everyone has long talked about but has never arrived, by design

I'm just thinking if they have the automated offside and theres a glitch in the program. there will be a 2 yard offside thats not given. and the officials will not be able to call it. because that would be considered thinking outside of the box
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

The offside system used in the Champions League is miles better than what we have here.

As for onfield decisions, I think the Ref should ref the game as normal and only get VAR involved if HE is unsure about something, only use VAR if it's requested.

I do think VAR and the guys in the booth get more right than wrong in terms of actual decisions but it absolutely knackers the flow and excitement of the game. And for that reason, I hope that they drop it.

Though it sounds like most clubs are going to vote to keep it.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I'm just thinking if they have the automated offside and theres a glitch in the program. there will be a 2 yard offside thats not given. and the officials will not be able to call it. because that would be considered thinking outside of the box
    Amazing stuff 🤡

Thir's na danger o' ye thinking outside th' box.
    Last edited by JockStrap; 17th May 2024 at 01:11 PM.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    The offside system used in the Champions League is miles better than what we have here.

As for onfield decisions, I think the Ref should ref the game as normal and only get VAR involved if HE is unsure about something, only use VAR if it's requested.

I do think VAR and the guys in the booth get more right than wrong in terms of actual decisions but it absolutely knackers the flow and excitement of the game. And for that reason, I hope that they drop it.

Though it sounds like most clubs are going to vote to keep it.
    Jozza ours is only as it is because our officials make it like that deliberately

VAR isn’t the issue FAPGMOL officials is the issue

For me it is VAR which is the problem.

It doesn’t matter how good the VAR officials are, it takes away the joy of celebrating a goal scored by your team. It’s why those of us who go /have gone to the game go.

Goal line technology is all I am totally happy with.

All players make mistakes as do officials. Most players cheat VAR has not eradicated that. I am convinced some officials cheat (whether consciously unconsciously) and VAR has certainly not eradicated that either.

I believe the negatives of VAR far outweigh any supposed benefits.
    Let the officials referee the game on the pitch, and help/coach them to be better.

They do it on purpose I watch a lot of games from a lot of leagues & our officials create the long wait just like our Gov creates the long NGS waiting lists, again it’s the same process

The Premier League want to get rid of it, because it stops them fixing games as easily as they used to, to the point that with further developments in the next couple of years, it will stop them fixing them at all

Our league has been bent as fuck since the 90’s, VAR has helped remove a lot of it, are ppls memories really that short they forget how much worse it was?

Even back then I used to wait to celebrate anyway as there’d be times they’d still pull it back for a supposed foul or offside with us