Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast

Thread: Euros 2024 thread / match talk

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Going off 1 performance, he nearly gave away 2 goals and hopefully slot has another plan for him. Defensively weak rb's tend not to make good 6's.
    How does Slot get the best out of Trent though? Do you play Gomez / a new left footed CB in the lb position and phase Robbo out so we have 3 centre backs that slide across to cover Trent when he goes forward? I don't think we can continue to play with 2 attacking full backs and not leak goals

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    He did ok. That's about it really. One very good cross-field-long-pass for the Engerlander studio media to cream over with Fabregas looking on with a knowing smirk... Some decent short to mid length passing too at times when afforded the room to operate in. BUT when pressed - he almost gave away a goal and would have done to a better side. Struggles to win duels. Didn't ever really get to grips with the pace of the game in the middle - and that was v a very pedestrian half a asleep Serbia side. Once they finally woke up.. things got pretty dicey.

The fact that Trent can play in the middle shouldn't really obscure the fact that he isn't close to his best there.
    Yep, pretty much how I saw it.

I dont think he's as bad defensively as is made out. My concern with him in midfield is his speed with the ball. He always wants too much time and is prone to getting robbed far too often.

When teams sit off he'll look amazing, when pressed he'll be in trouble.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Going off 1 performance, he nearly gave away 2 goals and hopefully slot has another plan for him. Defensively weak rb's tend not to make good 6's.
    Agreed (Apart from the defensive remark), I hope Slot doesn't play in midfield.

From what I can see with Slot's Feyenoord, he liked one wide winger and one inside forward/winger, with a wide fullback and more defensive fullback.

Is a case for TTA playing wide right and shift Salah into the middle (though, I dont like Salah as a 9)?

------------------------ Ali --------
    ---Bradley - Konate - VVD
    -------------------------------------- Robbo
    ------------Slzobo - Endo - Macca ---------

TTA ----------------------- Jota
    -------------------- Salah
    Appologies for the formatting!
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    How do we think Trent got on in Midfield? Seems a bit redudent playing there to be honest, when other than Saka there is zero pace in the England side. He'd have been better off playing wide right.
    I don't think he was great nor bad but that doesn't stop fools like Keane trotting out their lazy boring narratives. They were laboured through most of it, first half hour wasn't bad but certainly wasn't great. They just don't create enough chances, I think at times he was meandering almost staying out of the way but then there were times when he looked in a good position,/space and didn't receive the ball.
    I'm happy for him to be used there for Liverpool but not for England really.
    Harry Kane was abysmal but he's never getting hooked for anyone but he gets a pass off everyone because "he's doing a job for the team". Bollocks,he's miles off the pace. Foden might aswell have not been on the pitch.
    What annoys me is Trent will be the scapegoat. They're all just waiting for it.
    Last edited by teesred; 17th June 2024 at 11:59 AM.

What an organizational shit show EUFA are putting on. With the fantastic German infrastructure a bit of common sense could make things so much better.
    Queues to get into Allianz diabolical.
    Decision to have shalke England match as the 2100 fixture worse than diabolical. How does everyone get away from that shit hole at that time of night.

Trent is not a midfielder and he’s too old now to suddenly change into one. He looked very average yesterday, playing out of position.

He was brilliant as an attacking RB, albeit with a few defensive lapses. He is in danger of completely losing his way, in changing from an excellent attacking FB into a bang average midfielder

Oh and Southgate is an absolute abomination as a manager. Shocking the way he is wasting the talent in that squad

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I don't think he was great nor bad but that doesn't stop fools like Keane trotting out their lazy boring narratives. They were laboured through most of it, first half hour wasn't bad but certainly wasn't great. They just don't create enough chances, I think at times he was meandering almost staying out of the way but then there were times when he looked in a good position,/space and didn't receive the ball.
    I'm happy for him to be used there for Liverpool but not for England really.
    Harry Kane was abysmal but he's never getting hooked for anyone but he gets a pass off everyone because "he's doing a job for the team". Bollocks,he's miles off the pace. Foden might aswell have not been on the pitch.
    What annoys me is Trent will be the scapegoat. They're all just waiting for it.
    I felt sorry for Trent, I think there was always going to be a spotlight on him in this game given the recent narrative against his inclusion in the midfield set up, but given he has been included for his ability to pick and deliver a pass in his defence who exactly was he supposed to hit.

Foden provided no absolutely no width and never once tried to run behind their defence, Trippier like wise. Saka was ok, but given he was our only outlet who was prepared to run behind, Serbia recognised that early on and nullified his threat quite easily apart from a couple of examples. Although Kane was completely man handled and ultimately bossed, he is not a striker who will make explosive runs down the channels… so the passes that Trent makes so well and regularly for Liverpool, was never really an option available for Trent given the set up. As a result his effectiveness suffered accordingly and then Serbia started to get on top which placed even more problems on our midfield set up in general, it was just not Trent whovwas found wanting.

It was crying out for composure but that was sadly lacking by Rice, Foden and Trent, Bellingham however was the exception.

I thought Walker, Pickford, Guehy and Bellingham played really well, but the rest tbh were bang average…

The problem I have with the media including that Whopper Southgate is they all think they know more than Jurgen.
    They all call for him to go into midfield and show most if not all his highlights from the past season playing brilliant balls and running from the full back position. He's far too far up the pitch for him to see everything in front of him.
    Southgate just doesn't take risks as Trent can be at full back but he offers so much more attacking as Walker plus they can also accommodate a proper right midfielder

I caught the game, and saw how little space he had, sort of in front Rice (I think) and inside Saka. He only ever seemed to have space to do one touch triangle passing, never the space to put in a telling cross or even cross field to open up the play.
    It didn't really seem his place, but he did OK apart from when he was robbed and they nearly scored. At least if he gets skinned on the right, the winger still has to put in a decent cross. In front of the goal it seems more deadly. Not a good place for him when the pressure is on...