Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Working Man's Game

Werner, how about you STFU fella. That 39th game idea got floated a few years back. It was a shit idea then and it still is now.
    It'll happen someday though for sure.

Atleast he never said "Boston". He'd have been accused of bias.
    Last edited by teesred; 7th June 2024 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Werner, how about you STFU fella. That 39th game idea got floated a few years back. It was a shit idea then and it still is now.
    It'll happen someday though for sure.

Atleast he never said "Boston". He'd have been accused of bias.
    Indeed - yet all the ire is directed at the usual suspects DESPITE the real issue at the heart of the matter:

https://hir.harvard.edu/is-european-football-becoming-american-soccer/amp/ (https://hir.harvard.edu/is-european-football-becoming-american-soccer/amp/)

At first glance, this Americanization of European football seems to be a benign by-product of globalization. However, the purposes of the American owners of European football clubs center mainly around financial gain, and fans are reduced to becoming customers of the product, which is the club itself. From the investors’ point of view, fans are “consuming” the product by purchasing tickets to attend matches and buying club merchandise. American owners are often criticized (https://unherd.com/2021/04/america-is-destroying-the-beautiful-game/?ref=hir.harvard.edu) for trying to replicate “American conditions on European soil” as they attempt to follow a financially-motivated agenda to recreate their successes in the National Football League (NFL) and Major League Baseball (MLB). However, this understanding of football is strictly contrary to what European fans expect from the sport. To them, supporting their club is about loyalty and passion

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fans-football-invented-return-means-24142900

It is an aspect of their lifelong identity, a perspective that clashes with their portrayal as the mere consumers of a product. This dissonance between fans and owners remained relatively unnoticed until 12 European clubs decided to break away from their leagues to establish the European Super League in April 2021.

https://news.sky.com/story/european-super-league-nine-rebel-clubs-accept-sanctions-and-commit-their-future-to-uefa-competitions-12299823?ref=hir.harvard.edu )
    Last edited by Steveo; 7th June 2024 at 05:23 PM.

I've always found it mad how an NFL team or any of their sports teams can just up sticks to another state. Fans of the Raiders who'd been with them all they from Oakland to LA and back were royally fucked over when they moved to Vegas. There's no loyalty to fans at all.

There's a good ESPN documentary about the Baltimore colts marching band in the 70s. The team literally moved state to Indianapolis in the middle of the night. The band carried on forevermore until they eventually had a team back in Baltimore ( Ravens). That's now they're team,same band,same people. That's loyalty.

The NFL/MLB international games have been immense, it's great for fans to see that but I guess the US Fans don't feel that way. They probably feel the same we do about Prem games. Local fans taking more backseat consideration for money and "growing" of the game. The game has grown enough FFS.
    Problem is a massive percentage of the premier League money is from abroad,they want their cut.
    Last edited by teesred; 7th June 2024 at 05:37 PM.

I could almost understand Werner's thinking if football was only played professionally in Europe and we needed/wanted to grow the game around the world. Other than that it just sounds like rich owners flying kites to make themselves more money. So for me, he can f**k off....!

doesn't surprise me one bit with FSG.

I can't even afford a pint atm never mind go games, or well try. lolz

Fun having to take time off work due to family reasons + paying for a funeral tooooo oooh pitty me please!!

That's lifeeee
    Last edited by Kev0909; 7th June 2024 at 11:00 PM.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    I can't even afford a pint atm never mind go games, or well try. lolz

Fun having to take time off work due to family reasons + paying for a funeral tooooo oooh pitty me please!!

That's lifeeee
    Try not to let things get to you Kev. You've come along way over the past couple of yours and You're doing well.
    Life's not easy but if you work hard you'll get your rewards, never give up.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Try not to let things get to you Kev. You've come along way over the past couple of yours and You're doing well.
    Life's not easy but if you work hard you'll get your rewards, never give up.
    Thanks ian, things will get better! just means I have to be very tight and skint for a bit!
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

All been there Kev mate, allllll been there.

Thing about life generally is, we all get ups and downs and sometimes the downs really get to you but always remember, if you keep doing things the right way, life has a habit of coming back round in your favour in the end.

Taken off Facebook Premier League thread:

There was greed, before the Premiership reared its ugly head, but not on the scale it's developed into...Agents' fees, young players no longer in the boot room, 16 year old kids who can barely kick a ball demanding obscene wages the likes of John Charles, Stanley Matthews, Duncan Edwards, Bobby Charlton (& loads more) couldn't even get their head around, & all this while people using foodbanks struggling to just get by & fans of many years simply can't afford to watch their team...Priced out of their team for fly by night tourists....The whole thing stinks, & I hope Rupert Murdoch's proud of himself....Yes, you can say' Supply & demand', but for who?....I don't give a monkeys if you want to call me naive or 'simple'..... Football--- The game we love, was a working class simple game....It's changed forever, thanks to Murdoch, & Sky(alledgedly) & I for one, would much rather watch my local non league team(Scarborough Athletic)...UTB....🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🎵🐶🟡🧥⚽️🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿