Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
Taken off Facebook Premier League thread:

There was greed, before the Premiership reared its ugly head, but not on the scale it's developed into...Agents' fees, young players no longer in the boot room, 16 year old kids who can barely kick a ball demanding obscene wages the likes of John Charles, Stanley Matthews, Duncan Edwards, Bobby Charlton (& loads more) couldn't even get their head around, & all this while people using foodbanks struggling to just get by & fans of many years simply can't afford to watch their team...Priced out of their team for fly by night tourists....The whole thing stinks, & I hope Rupert Murdoch's proud of himself....Yes, you can say' Supply & demand', but for who?....I don't give a monkeys if you want to call me naive or 'simple'..... Football--- The game we love, was a working class simple game....It's changed forever, thanks to Murdoch, & Sky(alledgedly) & I for one, would much rather watch my local non league team(Scarborough Athletic)...UTB....��������������������������⚽️��� ���������������
The minute the game went professional, all the clubs involved began the slippery slope of finding new ways of monetising the Club, and that has been true right upto the present day.

The financial numbers involved now are stratospheric because the beautiful game similar to other businesses, as a result of new technological advances over the past 30 years, is now global.

Success begets success and the rest is history, in sport as in business, if you don’t strive to improve in every aspect, whilst all those around you are, it is only going to end one way…

The Premier league is awash with the best players from around the World because of that success and as a result Clubs not only want the best players, they want the best Managers, the best coaches in fact they want the best in every discipline including ownership.

LFC, like every other club, have benefitted from this with a recent World class German Manager and we currently have several World class players in our squad, from almost 4 corners of the globe, namely Argentina, Holland, Brazil and Egypt…

Now whilst a big part of me would like to go back to the good old days and have a squad of just homegrown players, Managers and coaches with minimal monetising and a local mildly wealthy benefactor / Owner.

We can certainly revisit that business model and do that if we genuinely have the appetite for that, but the trade off I would suggest would not be very palatable because we will certainly not be competing for the big prizes and worse case scenario we will end up in the lower leagues, having enjoyed our legendary moment in the sun.

Personally, whilst I am not a fan of the American ownership model, and ours in particular have been guilty of some huge errors of judgement, namely the European Super League disaster, however I am not sure if we could have or would have achieved our recent success without their clear expertise and money.

On reflection, I am pleased that we have achieved our recent success in a sustainable way whilst operating within the principles of FFP and have demonstrated to other clubs that it can be done… rather than the Man City unattainable and unsustainable model of simply outspending everybody else…

Hey ho thats my take on it, no doubt others will take offence, but who wants a world were we all agree… ��