Page 734 of 738 FirstFirst ... 234634684724727728729730731732733734735736737738 LastLast
Results 7,331 to 7,340 of 7372

Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    "Slot has been in daily contact with Richard Hughes, as Liverpool adjust to a new off-field structure. With input from Michael Edwards, it will be a collaborative approach to transfers, with data heavily influencing who is pursued and at what price." - @JamesPearceLFC

No surprises there, structure as expected.
    I wonder if data heavily influences who we sell/keep.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    I wonder if data heavily influences who we sell/keep.
    Bound to.

I do think we occasionally get it wrong in that department, mainly the extent to which we are stubborn on valuations of players.

I 100% understand why we do it - we don't want to be pushovers in the market and once you sell cheap once, agents will exploit in the future - but we have had moments where we maybe had offers for £12m for a player (holding out for £15m) and didn't get it. Indeed, I think we had a window where we had two £12.5m offers for 2 separate players (potential £25m in) and we turned down both - could have been up the £25m and spent it wisely - I think Nat Phillips was one of the players but I can't remember - likely down (in part) to me getting about 3 hours of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Bound to.

I do think we occasionally get it wrong in that department, mainly the extent to which we are stubborn on valuations of players.

I 100% understand why we do it - we don't want to be pushovers in the market and once you sell cheap once, agents will exploit in the future - but we have had moments where we maybe had offers for £12m for a player (holding out for £15m) and didn't get it. Indeed, I think we had a window where we had two £12.5m offers for 2 separate players (potential £25m in) and we turned down both - could have been up the £25m and spent it wisely - I think Nat Phillips was one of the players but I can't remember - likely down (in part) to me getting about 3 hours of sleep.
    Not sure what data suggests selling Kelleher, or swapping Quansah or Gomez for Gordon.

I'm concerned if we are hawking players out before Slot has even met them!

Agree with you on missed sales like Nat Phillips and the like (I can't remember who else either)

Anthony Gordon's head has been turned by interest from Liverpool, but Newcastle insist the 23-year-old England winger will not be sold. (Telegraph - subscription required), external
    Liverpool remain interested in Gordon and could make another move to sign him this summer. (Teamtalk), external

Liverpool and AC Milan are interested in signing France midfielder Adrien Rabiot following the expiry of the 29-year-old's Juventus contract. (Calciomercato - in Italian)

Not sure what data suggests selling Kelleher, or swapping Quansah or Gomez for Gordon.

Agree with you on missed sales like Nat Phillips and the like (I can't remember who else either)
    Data will be a big part of our process, but it won't be the whole process. We'll often have to weigh up potential monetary value v potential use of a player.

With a player like Kelleher, he is too good to be stuck at no. 2 for us indefinitely, so we'll likely have set a fee that is big enough to soften the blow of losing him, whilst being low enough that he might get to leave and play as a no. 1 somewhere - an "everybody wins" scenario. If (hypothetical) we sold him for £20m and we used that towards a £40m player who ends up getting us 10 or so goals per season for a few years, then that's (probably) a better use of funds/talent than having a good keeper for Cup runs and Alisson missing a month of the season when we might get the chance to promote a youth keeper.

It's always juggling multiple things - data, financial value, age profile, maintaining high squad quality, calls on who is/isn't blocking a youth's development - it's not easy, though I feel we do a largely good job.

Quansah won't be swapped as part of a deal for Gordon - indeed the prospect of that is apparently why we walked from the deal! Can't speak on Gomez, but with him being Home-grown he could command a decent fee, which we might value more than his utility availability for centre-back and full-back. I thought he was great for most of last season and I'd be keeping him, but if the right offer came in and if we/I trust Edwards, then we'll see.

If we get a centre back in.. and left back. sounds like the wolves player maybe on the way for that position.. we have 2 right backs. so little or no chance for Gomez.. I wouldn't have an issue of letting him leave personally.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

I like Gordon. I think hes good enough to play both sides of the attack in a 3. we won't sign him though. Newcastle will ask to much and we won't pay out.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

The article I read stated that we declined the Gordon deal because we didn't want to include Quansah.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    If we get a centre back in.. and left back. sounds like the wolves player maybe on the way for that position.. we have 2 right backs. so little or no chance for Gomez.. I wouldn't have an issue of letting him leave personally.
    Not sure we'd be in a hurry to let homegrown players leave.

Gomez's versatility is invaluable.

He was excellent last season at LB. I wouldn't have a problem with him and Robbo being our LB options for next season.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side